Wigram's Final

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

109ROAMING

2nd Lieutenant
May 25, 2008
New Zealand
Well guys ,The time has come for Wigram(My local former RNZAF base) last airshow :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :( :( :(

Final Airshow is on the 8th of Febuary:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
and all together closed on the 15th:cry:

I've had fond memories at this field ,My brain has yet to come to a conclusion as to why this BULLSHIIT can be allowed to happen(But I guess thats the world)

Il be posting as many photos as I can ,I can't tell you how pissed this makes me :cry: :evil:

I'd also take this moment to say FU*CK YOU to ngai tahu:evil: :evil: (The wankers who are developing it:evil: :evil: :evil: )

Should have just about every plane in the RNZAF along with a DC-3 ,Catalina and P-51:)

Hopefully should have some nice weather

Overall a very sad time though for New Zealand Aviation(Also F**K you CCC)

(Please excuse my rant)

I didn't know it was still around Daniel ! I served at Wigram for six months from 1991-2, before the 1992 defence cuts saw me and 1100 other people out of a job and the base up for sale.

What I think is the saddest thing about this is that Wigram was the first RNZAF base, the land being donated by Sir Henry Wigram in 1919 or 21 for the establishment of a permanent air force. This was realised in 1923 as the 'New Zealand Permanent Air Force' (NZPAF), becoming the 'Royal New Zealand Air Force' (RNZAF) in 1937. This first base was named in Wigram's honour.

I think by rights the land should be returned to the surviving Wigram family, not sold off as an asset.

My thoughts exactly Evan ,Seeing as Sir Henry Denoted it to New Zealand aviation it should remain the property of the New Zealand people

I'm wanting to know why the government/CCC have the right to sell it when its not theirs? Who few made the decision to sell? Espicially who thought it ok to sell it to a bunch of wankers who are only interested in its realistate value?

Wigram was sold for I think 19.6 Million .I Was at Wigram day before yesterday talking to a guy who told me they've already profited 33Million on the houses they've already build .Let alone the 200+ more they want to build:evil:

I will try and take in as much as I can ,but it will be hard knowing this is the last time:( :cry:

I'd consider yourself Lucky mate to serve there

Its a disgrace what's happened to the servicemen who have trained and died there

When Sir Henry donated the land, it became Ministry of Defence property, so unfortunately the Government have full right to sell it, and the only thing they give a damn about is to make as much profit as they can from it - the origins don't count for nought.

I still think though it's a huge slap in the face for the man who loved his country and aviation so much that he gave his own land to realise that dream.

...and I am proud to have served there, it was a cool base, much better than Woodbourne where I was previously.

Yeah, load of tossers! It's happened here too, including Scampton, of all places! But, as the guys said, make the best of the show, and remember, every picture you get will be a historic one. They'll all be of the last flights at Wigram and, at some time in the future, you'll be able to use them, one way or the other, as part of New Zealand's aviation history. At least you'll get the chance to record the final fling.
Have a good day out mate.

Cheers guys will be taking it all in ,Start posting photos tomorrow

They wanted to destoy ouer old airfield here in Helsinki, Finland. We got a lot of people to sine a petition not to do it. We got thousands of people sine up for two years. The batle was tied but we beat them. The field stays on and now nobody can touch it. That what we did.:twisted:

We tried that ,I got 50 odd signatures myself ,Sadly people just don't care

Today really pissed me off ,thousands of people are willing to go to an airshow but not sign a petition ....WTF???

Will be posting photos soon ,waiting for my camera to make its way home from the pub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back