Will be in Europe for 3 weeks this Summer

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Went to HMS Belfast today

Was going to go to Westminster Abbey until the price was 18£ and you cant even take pictures. I didn't think that was worth while

Not worth while ... NOT WORTH WHILE ! Good god man there is so much history there....
Get off the internet and go and see London.

You guys don't understand ...Ive seen so much there I have 1800 pictures so far. 3 days left and we don't have much planned.

Churches aren't my thing, and yes you are right I do not really have the appreciation for them to enjoy it.

Westminster is not just a church Harrison. Its a nation monument. If you have any time left you must visit the burial site of one our greatest statesmen. Churchill and these... Edward the Confessor, Charles Dickens, Isaac Newton, Charles Darwin, Edward I of England, George Frideric Handel, Geoffrey Chaucer, Henry III of England, Henry Purcell, Edward III of England, Richard II of England, Henry V of England, David Livingstone, Edward VI of England, Rudyard Kipling, Thomas Hardy, Anne, Queen of Great Britain, The Unknown Warrior, Alfred Tennyson, 1st Baron Tennyson, Samuel Johnson, Ernest Rutherford, Robert Browning, Edward V of England, William III of England, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Laurence Olivier, Anne of Cleves, William Wilberforce, Elizabeth of York, Joseph John Thomson, Ben Jonson, Clement Attlee, George II of Great Britain, William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin, John Dryden, Anne Neville, William Ewart Gladstone, Lady Margaret Beaufort, William Pitt the Younger, Charles Lyell, Old Tom Parr, William Congreve, John Blow, Aphra Behn, Mary II of England, Charles Barry, Thomas Babington Macaulay, 1st Baron Macaulay, George Villiers, 1st Duke of Buckingham, Catherine of Valois, Thomas Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald.

I'm sorry to be late to this stream. As a long time adopted Londoner the one thing I'd say is - walk.

Bus tours are great and the tube is a wonderful thing but despite efforts over millennia it's a City adopted from the mediaeval period and built for 'Shanks's pony'.

A good walk could start from Monument station (where the Monument to 1666 is) and go North or South, on either bank, finish at a pier head and take in a River bus - and of course a pub...

If you walk you get lost - I don't know what you'll find but it will be uniquely 'your' London whatever it is. Happy holiday,

(down river is docklands, Greenwich, naval stuff, the blitz... up river I'd start at Richmond and walk past Runnymede...)

What a bunch of historical poseurs. Not a notable contribution amonst one of them.

C'mon, B. You are missing a lifetime of opportunity. What else are you gonna do? Watch TV in the hotel?

Or even take a train out to, say, Biggin Hill, or Manston, both famous BoB airfields, with a museum at the latter. Or have a bacon butty ......

I thought 18 pounds for Westminster Abby was too much as well. While you can see a lot of history, there are many other sites with as much history, maybe even more interesting, but which doesn't cost as much. I thought the same about the tower, where way too many tourists we waiting to pay an exorbiant amount of money to be allowed to get in for an hour or two.

A disgraceful scam I think.
It's a long, long time since I visited Westminster Abbey, Westminster Cathedral, or 'The Tower' - 1966 to be precise, the day London was fairly quiet because of some football match with Germany or something.
But back then, apart from 'The Tower', they were free, and the entrance fee for 'The Tower' was minimal. But then, it was a long time ago, in the days when the predominant language heard on the streets was English and a MacDonald was a Highland Scot .............

Or even take a train out to, say, Biggin Hill, or Manston, both famous BoB airfields, with a museum at the latter. Or have a bacon butty ......

not to mention Hawkinge (Kent Battle of Britain museum) and Capel-le-Ferne (Battle of Britain memorial) with a stop-off at Dover castle ( Operation dynamo tunnels) on the way up to Manston (Spitfire Hurricane museum and the RAF Manston history museum). I'm around on Wednesday if you can get down here B-17 engineer..

Last edited:
Flight leaves Wednesday!

Mind you guys this trip isn't all expense paid, my parents were gracious enough to pay for airline tickets...I didn't have to worry about a place to stay, and any money I spend to go anywhere is my own so if Im not keen on something I'd rather spend it elsewhere

Stonehenge tomorrow

Welcome to Cameron's Britain...

You guys don't understand ...Ive seen so much there I have 1800 pictures so far. 3 days left and we don't have much planned.

Churches aren't my thing, and yes you are right I do not really have the appreciation for them to enjoy it.

Whether a religous person or not, you are missing out by not seeing the cathedrals and churches. The architecture is amazing. The history is just crazy! Many of these buildings have been standing since before our nation was discovered. You really are missing out. You will not see these things in the US. How often do you plan on going to Europe?

Users who are viewing this thread