Will This Work? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

prem895

Staff Sergeant
Oct 7, 2012
Toronto/Beijing
I was wondering if I could take a colour like Model Master RLM 76 enamel to Home Depot and have them put it under their colour match machine and then have them duplicate it in a tin of lets say 250ml. If this works I could make all my enamel paints,matt,semi or gloss this way. Be it Humbrol enamels or Model Master enamels. Will this work?

I think you may find the pigment grind too course. One reason model paints are so expensive is because of the molecular size of the pigments, much harder to manufacture. House paint pigments are like sand, model pigments are like talc, for a comparison.

An example. Some automotive paints will cover 600 grit sand paper marks, some other paints these will show because of the density, porosity, of the paint. You could have it matched for wall colors tho!

Last edited:
Years ago I painted a bedroom by having Home Depot match dabs of Model Master paints. Neutral Gray walls with RLM 75 trim. Turned out pretty good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back