Will you pay about $100 USD for a kit ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
Hi.

I just found on Tamiya's website that they are gonna re-issue their standard (no-propeller action) 1/48 Lancaster... For $98.00 USD !

Tamiya America Item #61105 | Avro Lancaster B Mk.I/III

Now the question is, will any of us pay such a high price for a model kit ? Not me !

If you wanna compare, about two years ago I bought Revell's 1/48 B-25 for about $50 CND (that is still waiting in its box, by the way) and I thought it was a rather good deal. You'll never see me spend more than $80.00 CND for a single kit ! (If my calculs are right, Tamiya's kit would be at about $120 CND... Plus shipping !)

Nope!

I couldn't afford to build 1/48,So I'm stuck with 1/72 but I like it

The most I've ever paid for a kit was something like $50 maybe

You got RIPPED on the B-25 sir, sorry to say. I've seen it around here for $25 CND.

As for paying $100, yes, I would, but only if it was a plane I really wanted. I wouldn't spend $100 on a Lanc, as I'm a fighter guy. If Hasegawa came out with a super-detailed F4U, then yes, I would spend the $100 on it.

I would because well I guess its in my username, but I would hunt around a bit for the best deal first :lol:

The 'new' Tamiya Lanc is supposed to be coming out in the UK at about £40, which is about $85 to $95 US. The original kit, when last available here, was £50. Personally, I think it is expensive, as I bought the original issue, over 30 years ago, for the equivalent at today's prices of about £20. I know oil prices have affected the plastics industry, but i can't see that it should cost so much more to produce a kit from existing moulding tools; they've already paid for themselves. This is especially pertinent when you realise that, in the Uk, the new Revell JU88, in 1/32nd scale, is bigger, more complex, has more parts and therefore plastic than the 1/48th Lanc, but is only a touch over £26 !
Who's kidding who?
However, as I would like to do a Lanc in that scale again, I will probably get it - but I won't be rushing out to do so, even though it is a new tooling. If it was about £25, I'd possibly buy two, but at £40 to £50 for ONE kit? I'll think carefully first!

Well......I do have two "Royal Class" from Eduard :oops:, but that's a h*ll lot more in those boxes than just the one kit! :lol: As for the Tamiya Lancaster, I guess that I would, because I'm desperate to build one in 1/48 and I'm NOT paying the £100+ for the older ones on ebay!

I've paid over 100 for kits before, I'll probably get at least one of the new lancs as I already have 3 for a future project. I've also got two MPM 1/48 hi-tech he-177s which cost over 100 each as well. If you want a kit enough you'll get it.

Like Catch22 I''m a fighter guy and bombers aren't my favourite.However if there would be planty photoetched parts and rasin ones includeed and decals would let me marking some different machines I would go for it.These things , they have listed on the site, everyone can make himself.In addition the $100 is quite expensive here in Poland.

You got RIPPED on the B-25 sir, sorry to say. I've seen it around here for $25 CND.

I know... On Revell's site it is listed at about that price. But it always been more expensive in Québec City... There is only one hobby shop there (that I know of). The Revell 1/48 B-17 right next to it was about $60 CND... And if you compare again, $60 CND is about the price of Tamiya's 1/48 P-47, and I got Academy's version of that kit for $10 cheaper.

That's why I shop so much on Squadron.com lately, if the kit(s) + shipping are cheaper than going to Québec City to pick-up the said kit, then I order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back