Willy Messerchmidt and his gliders: Do pictures exist?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

GyroCaptain

Recruit
Nov 19, 2007
I discovered this forum via Google, and figured it was the place to ask this question:
Do any photos exist of Willy Messerchmidt in digital form? I was doing research for a project and was stunned at the lack of information on Bayern Flugzeugwerke pre-war, Willy Messerschmidt, Hugo Junkers, and so on.

You'd figure there would be pictures of WM's early gliders, but I haven't found them either. If not on the web, are there print resources concerning the inter-war period in German aviation that any of you recommend?

(I own a copy of a book on JG 26 that has Condor legion 109s being fitted with fake MGs, that's the sort of thing that would be interesting.)

I'm a student at Georgia Tech, so any book within the GA university system is one I can lay my hands on. But I need a title. :D

Hi Gyrocaptain,

>If not on the web, are there print resources concerning the inter-war period in German aviation that any of you recommend?

Armand van Ishoven's "Messerschmitt - Aircraft Designer" has three pictures of the S8 (with a Wright-style carnard and rudder arrangement, but a monoplane wing) and one each of the S10, S13 and S14 (which are considerably more modern).

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

The book I am currently reading is called The History of German Aviation Willy Messerschmitt: Pioneer of Aviation Design by Hans J Ebert/Johann B Kaiser/Klaus Peters. ISBN: 0-7643-0727-4

Covers just about every aircraft that Willy Messerschmitt ever built from gliders on up to jets and even the cars he produced after the war.

Thanks, I'll look for both of those. I've got a copy of Fighter by Len Deighton, and it not only has interesting photos (few messerchmidt, sadly)but also some interesting caricatures of Erhard Milch, Hugo Sperrle and Albert Kesselring made by Ernst Udet before his death. Until I got the book, I had no idea they existed.

EDIT: The first book is right here at the library, and I found another one in the series of the second book that concerns Kurt Tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back