Windows 10 photo importing - advice needed !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Again the Mickeysoft overgrowth of aspirations over skills. The Win 10 is nothing more like a pile of unwanted fountains. If these would be removed the entire OS could be installed in a few second using a floppy disc. :lol:

I find its usually the bloatware that the computer manufacturers put onto the computer that's the problem. My current computer was custom built so didn't have any of that crap installed to start with.

Sounds about right !
When asked why he designed Win 10 the way it is, the designer replied "Because I can !"
It's getting to be like modern cars - everything electronic and / or computer controlled, when a traditional mechanical, or electro - mechanical system would work equally as well, probably better and for longer, at less cost and fuss !

Hell's Teeth, have they never heard of the "KISS" principle ??!!

Up in Seattle, they use the KKA principle--"K.I.S.S. My A$$"

Emphasis on the money....

Last edited:
Don't seem to be able to find anything relevant to importing.
This is what I eventually get, after waiting for around one minute, with no screen appearing, and then clicking on the File Explorer icon at the bottom of the screen. Second pic shows what appears after selecting the camera in use ( Finepix C20).

View attachment 570178View attachment 570179
In your second screenshot, what happens if you double-click on the "External Memory" icon in the right pane? It should open that as a folder, showing all your photos.

I'm using Windows 7, so I'm going by memory here. Windows increasingly tries to "simplify" things, but only succeeds in getting everything more bu**ered up. Why not ditch the "Windows" way and do it properly, as we used to do?
1) Get rid of the incomprehensibly vague icons, Go to (I think) the "View" menu, select "Details", and you can see the text listing, which tells you what you are looking at.
2) Create the directory where you want to put your pictures. Do this first, then you have a place to go.
3) Open your camera (Finepix C20) in the left pane. The better way to do this is to expand the listing, so you see the "External Memory" in the left pane.
3) click on "External Memory" to see its contents. (Or double-click if it is in the right pane.)
4) Select the photos you want to move , use the RIGHT button to drag to your new folder, then select "Copy" or "Move" from the drop-down menu. (I prefer to use "Copy", then I haven't lost everything if something goes wrong. I can always delete from the camera later. I almost never use drag-and-drop because Windows has a bad habit of "jumping" , or shifting the menu, just as I drop, and who knows where the files end up? Plus, D&D almost always defaults to the worst possible option, and your files are just too likely to "disappear". My way, I know where they have gone.)

My explanation is not too simple, but the process is, try it and see.

Thanks for the info.
As mentioned earlier, the problem was with Chrome, not my new PC.
Although I'm still running Chrome, for pic uploads to the forum etc, I now use Edge, and can work without problems. I'm basically doing what you suggest, and uploading pics from my various cameras to my existing or new folders is now fairly straightforward, similar to Win7, although perhaps not quite as simple as regards the various stages.
But at least I'm now 'up and running' and I guess, with time, I'll get used to Win 10 - or take a bl**dy great hammer to it !!

Sometime things just don't seem to add up and nothing you do works. Very frustrating.

Sometimes I get caught by surprise when a new "feature" actually works seamlessly when I think that it can't.
eg - I mostly work on Mac now and one of the later things is being in an application and being able to right click
to choose scan document or take photo to place straight into the app. Yeah right, that'll work I thought. Tried it and the bloody thing does!!

Great when things work as they should ( said the skydiver with relief !).

Just been 'messing' about loading pics from one of my cameras, and had to go though twice as many stages, compared to Win 7 or XP, as the automatic system in Win 10 just didn't seem to want to let me save them where I wanted. - got there in the end, but what a PITA.
Also, wrote a couple of documents in 'Word', and couldn't save them to my 'Documents' folders, as they were automatically saved to 'OneDrive' ( whatever that b*llocks is ), with a document number, as I was unable to add a title !
I eventually found a way of saving it in 'Documents', and a way of creating new 'Word' documents, avoiding One Drive..
For ****'s sake, by all means improve systems, but don't keep adding complexities for the bl**dy sake of it !
If I switch a light switch on, I expect the light to light up immediately - I don't want to have to go to the electricity distribution board, flick more switches, do a written request, and then flick the light switch again, which is what it's like trying to use this overly complex, multi-stage process in this bl**dy annoying Windows 10.

Aaand - breath !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back