Windows 10 photo importing - advice needed ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I've just spent over 30 minutes trying to figure out how to quickly import photos to a specific folder in Windows 10.
Got there eventually, but not sure I took the right path.
This is what I'm used to doing with all previous Windows :-

1) Connect camera to PC and switch on camera.
2) Click on 'Import Pictures' in flash screen that appears.
3) Load pictures and select folder they are intended for.
4) Close programme and switch off and disconnect camera
Job done, quickly and simply.

Messing around with Win 10, I eventually found I could 'Save as' in a selected file / folder, after having to perform a lot of selections first, in order to reach the 'Save as' function.
This seems very cumbersome and slow to me, so I'm guessing / hoping that here is a quicker, less complex way of importing photos, from a camera, direct to the required file / folder.
I appreciate that improvements can and should be made to programmes, but why the heck a known and trusted, working system has to be totally changed is beyond me !!

Any help and advice will be gratefully accepted - including the best method to replace torn out hair !!

Plug in the camera, when it asks what you want to do, select 'open in file explorer'. (or whatever it is)
select the photos, and drag and drop them into the folder you want them to go to.

Sounds logical, if slower than the original system, but i don't get any options, just the import screen, requesting how to file - by date, month or year etc.

It's the only way I've ever done it, and it is actually pretty quick, as you don't end up with any extra programs running.
If you close the import screen, and then open windows explorer, you should be able to see the device on the left. Here's what I get with my phone.
Annotation 2020-02-18 075705.png

Don't seem to be getting anything like that.
Just tried again, and this time I got a totally different screen, with a load of meaningless (to me) icons !
I'll persevere and see what happens - it possibly is simple, when one knows how to do it, but it sure is long-winded and un-necessarily bl**dy complex, compared to Win 7, XP etc !!

EDIT :- Thanks Snautzer - I'll read that in detail, although as yet, I haven't seen any of those prompts appear on my screen !

Don't seem to be getting anything like that.
Just tried again, and this time I got a totally different screen, with a load of meaningless (to me) icons !
I'll persevere and see what happens - it possibly is simple, when one knows how to do it, but it sure is long-winded and un-necessarily bl**dy complex, compared to Win 7, XP etc !!
THat's what you want! one of the icons will be a folder, and will open the devices memory in file explorer.

Don't seem to be able to find anything relevant to importing.
This is what I eventually get, after waiting for around one minute, with no screen appearing, and then clicking on the File Explorer icon at the bottom of the screen. Second pic shows what appears after selecting the camera in use ( Finepix C20).

Import screen.jpg
Import screen 2.jpg

If I could find the ****ing thing, with this ridiculously, stupidly cumbersome Win 10, I might be able to tell you.
I now officially hate this bl**dy stupid Windows 10 system.
I've sort of found a way to load pictures, but it takes forever, b*ggering about just to upload, and the only reliable way to find and view is in Irfanview - the Windows system is far too complex and cumbersome, with a lack of a search system. Whoever designed this needs their Rs kicking - hard !!!
And if there is a way to do it, then I don't want to have to read pages of instructions, and flip around the screen, when all previous version of Windows was quick and simple - just switch on the camera to upload, or select the 'Pictures' programme if viewing, and bingo, it was done.

Just spent the last four hours attempting to upload some pics to a new folder, which normally takes seconds !
Been able to upload them, after ages b*ggering about, but unable to create a folder, and have had to label them separately, after being messed around trying to find what' what, without success !
Windows !0 is a real pain - complex for the sake of it, where all other Win programmes were easy fo this function.
I am REALLY p*ssed off !!!!!

I actually find it easier than win 7...

IIRC, Fuji, in their wisdom have weird ideas when it comes to interfacing with a PC

That seems to be the only way to access anything, and done via the search bar at the bottom left of the screen, although, the only way I can easily view my pictures, is in Irfanview.
I'm not sure the system is working correctly, as I can't find anything - for example, I can't access my documents, such as saved books, drawings etc., which I was able to do yesterday.
Also, when selecting something like 'Photos', it's taking around 45 seconds to one minute before anything happens, and all actions seem very slow.
I'll contact my friend who supplied the computer tomorrow, and see what he can do or advise.
Even if, or when, this Windows 10 is working as it should, it must be the stupidest, clumsy system I've eve used, where what was once a simple 'one click' operation, now needs multiple stages to reach - after having o guess what stages are needed !!!
Hell's Teeth, have they never heard of the "KISS" principle ??!!

EDIT: - Never had problems with Fuji (bridge and compact cameras) or any of my Nikon DSLRS, or any other device, when using WIN 7, XP or earlier Windows system, with all of these only needing connection and a couple of simple steps to upload or access pictures.
This darned thing is going around the houses and getting nowhere !

Yep. I can access my pictures folders that way, but it's slow and clumsy.
My main concerns are being able to access my documents easily and quickly, and of course, being able to upload photos from my various cameras, either into existing folders, or create a new, named folder, which at the moment I'm unable to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back