Windsor Castle Guard and the wee one.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That was cool but many don't realise they are not actors in a Disney show they are front line soldiers.
This makes me laugh every time I see it. What is it about tourists, they empty their heads when they pack a suitcase.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMluZpYxd0o

Last edited:
That was cool but many don't realise they are not actors in a Disney show they are front line soldiers.
This makes me laugh every time I see it. What is it about tourists, they empty their heads when they pack a suitcase.
I agree.
It's the same with tourists and our Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Washington D.C. - and they will dress down disrespectful tourists in a heartbeat.

When I was in Sofia, we stopped by the Prezidentsvo (office of the President of Bulgaria) which is guarded by the Bulgarian National Guards Unit, who's uniforms are from the late 1800's Royal Bulgarian Hussars. And while I was there, I saw tourists going up to the guards, leaning on them and taking selfies and all sorts of ridiculous shenanigans - all the while they remained unmoved at their post.

And the same disrespect I see tourists give the Queen's Guards is shameful and the only thing I can think of, is that in this day and age, old traditions are being forgotten and people are no longer learning of traditions and customs of other countries.

And the same disrespect I see tourists give the Queen's Guards is shameful and the only thing I can think of, is that in this day and age, old traditions are being forgotten and people are no longer learning of traditions and customs of other countries.
Well they are part of the tourist industry. As well as being front line soldiers where they are very good at killing people. before doing the job guarding at royal palaces they have special training in not killing stupid people. That soldiers response was perfect to the situation it is what they are trained for. I bet he really enjoyed scaring the living daylights out of the numpty then resuming keeping guard in perfect order.

Well they are part of the tourist industry. As well as being front line soldiers where they are very good at killing people. before doing the job guarding at royal palaces they have special training in not killing stupid people. That soldiers response was perfect to the situation it is what they are trained for. I bet he really enjoyed scaring the living daylights out of the numpty then resuming keeping guard in perfect order.
Here's a short video (one of many, sadly) where the Tomb Guard has to address the crowd. In the case of the Tomb Guard, it is a very strict criteria to qualify and they are selected from U.S. Army ranks.

Here's a short video (one of many, sadly) where the Tomb Guard has to address the crowd. In the case of the Tomb Guard, it is a very strict criteria to qualify and they are selected from U.S. Army ranks.
It is very sad to see, some today think every thing is a show.and need to take part. I visited the tomb of the unknown soldier in Moscow and unsurprisingly there was none of it. When tens of thousands were killed in and just outside the city and millions throughout the country it just isnt done. The guards in London marching and trooping the colour look a fine spectacle but only because you know we are in peace time. The practicing was to be efficient at manouvering when in a "square" and attacking one of those squares in battle was a fearsome proposition.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkatm3l9RnY

By the way, just got a bit of info on the video.

The little Queen's Guard is 4 year old Marshall Scott and it was his birthday. The Windsor Guard was Lance Corporal Paul Edden, who also said that he made the decision to pose with little Marshall because when he was a boy, he had wanted a picture of himself with a Guardsman.

Lance Corporal Edden also offered Marshall and his mother a private tour of the castle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back