World Football (Soccer) Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have not seen the Italy game. Obviously the Italians did not do as good as they should have but how was the game played?

Not too bothered about the German result.

So many substitutes ruins the flow of the game.

Yeah always a bit of needle.

If England lose against the Israel then goodnight Steve McLaren.

soccer league unless more folks like Beckham join up. He's kind of like the OCC of the custom bike builders. We need guys like him to generate interest here in the US. It almost took off when we had Pele,Beckenbauer etc in the 80's. The biggest problem is the Euro players get paid big bucks and the US players get maybe an average of 20k a year. That sure is not enough to gather interest of a potential player:shock: . Local garbage men get paid more.

Not too bothered about the German result.

So many substitutes ruins the flow of the game.

Yeah always a bit of needle.

If England lose against the Israel then goodnight Steve McLaren.

The Problem is that England has not been playing very well for quite some time and the end of these bad times for them is no where in sight.

Torch said:
soccer league unless more folks like Beckham join up. He's kind of like the OCC of the custom bike builders. We need guys like him to generate interest here in the US. It almost took off when we had Pele,Beckenbauer etc in the 80's. The biggest problem is the Euro players get paid big bucks and the US players get maybe an average of 20k a year. That sure is not enough to gather interest of a potential player . Local garbage men get paid more.

I disagree atleast on players such as Beckham. Beckham is washed up and past his prime.

Charles Bronson ain´t gonna like this, but here you have it:

The goal scored by Francois Omam Biyik during the opening game of the Italia 1990 world cup..Cameroon beats Argentina 1-0.

Believe if you do not care for football soccer, you should still watch this.

Physically speaking no one should dare to deny blacks are flat superior to any other athletes...take a closer a look at is the HEIGHT OF THAT JUMP!!!!...watch the replay at 1:32...

And it is not only the height of the jump what´s impressive...it is also the type of downward header, not easy even if Biyik made it look "piece of cake" -well, only a black man could make a play like this seem so easy-.

Charlie, do you know the name of the argentinian defensive who "tried" to hinder Biyik from jumping?

I bet that 17 years after that, the argentinian guy still wakes up late in the night screaming, soaked in his own sweat.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6t5un4X6E

An exceptional athletic show, although the goal needed the complicity of the goalkeeper. Not Biyik's fault, with that floating slow ball he simply could have not done better, but the final shot was not irresistible.

I agree that the black race morphology is the best suited for this 'explosive' prformances, but the beauty of soccer is also that there is not a 'best' morphology. Take Maradona for instance, his short legs and low CG added a great deal to his magic feet in terms of 'natural' propension to change direction and short acceleration. A defender with the powerful structure of Biyik would have always been late and fooled.
Besides, I remember a cross from Maradona that was at the limit of supernatural: the guy was running on the left end, with 2 defenders running inside and covering the area. So, without changing the pace of the run, he 'just' made a shorter step with the left leg letting the ball ahead of him, and at the same time he twisted the right leg behind the left and crossed the ball.... nobody realized what happened, I had to wait for the replay to undertand it: you can imagine the two defenders...
I hope somebody will find the video, unfortunately I have no clue where to find it.

England have world class players but have a poor team.

Scotland have poor players but a good team.

The Scottish players give all and the England players don't. Call it heart or spirit but there you go. Pride in the flag.

Not about the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog.

Beckham is still big news and he aint that old. Past his prime but I wouldn't bury him yet.

England football team needs a good old fashioned kick up the backside. Old ways rather than the softly approach. Hide the keys to the Ferraris should do it.

England have world class players but have a poor team.

They have good players but they lack a Ronoaldinho, Podolski, Klose, Toni, Totti, Ballack, Cufré, Figo, Emerson, Carlos, Kaka, Zé Roberto and Henry to name a few.

As you said though, together they are not a very good team either.

The Basket said:
Scotland have poor players but a good team.

I would certainly agree here. Scotland plays with a lot of heart just like the Irish.

The Basket said:
Beckham is still big news and he aint that old. Past his prime but I wouldn't bury him yet.

No he is no longer a very good player. He is way past his prime. He was shut down by players on the German team who had very little experience. It was basically the German B team...

Also look at whe he has done so far in the United States. He has been the biggest waste of money to play in the United States.

All hype and no play...

The Basket said:
England football team needs a good old fashioned kick up the backside. Old ways rather than the softly approach. Hide the keys to the Ferraris should do it.

I dont know England has allways been a team that seems to overcome adversity and then crumble in the games that really matter such as World Cup or Euro Cup 2nd Rounds.

I expect England to qualify for the Euro 2008 but either not make it to the 2nd Round or get knocked out in the first 2nd Round Game.

Well here is just some information:

World Cup Winners:

1930 Uruguay
1934 Italy
1938 Italy
1950 Uruguay
1954 Germany
1958 Brazil
1962 Brazil
1966 England
1970 Brazil
1974 Germany
1978 Argentina
1982 Italy
1986 Argentina
1990 Germany
1994 Brazil
1998 France
2002 Brazil
2006 Italy

Number of Times Won:

Brazil: 5
Italy: 4
Germany: 3
Argentina: 2
Ururguay: 2
England: 1
France: 1

Number of Times 2nd Place:

Germany: 4
Argentina: 2
Italy: 2
Netherlands: 2
Brazil: 2
Czech Republic (Czechoslovakia): 2
Sweden: 1
France: 1
Hungary: 1

I think Steven Gerrard is as good as any top star.

A bit generous with Klose and Podolski.

Beckham wasn't match fit and had a dodgy ankle. He is in LA more his name and media reputation I guess.

England played badly against a weak side. No excuses. But things can improve. I think.

I think Steven Gerrard is as good as any top star.

Yeah he is very good I guess.

The Basket said:
A bit generous with Klose and Podolski.

Klose is a top Striker. Very talented and great skills.

Podolski is a rising star. He is young and has great skill. He might not be a top star yet but he is a rising one and will be.

The Basket said:
England played badly against a weak side. No excuses. But things can improve. I think.

Germany is a much better team overall. During that game Germany was deffinatly the weak side however because it was pretty much the German B Team.

The problem is that the England manager is a whipping boy for the press. So don't read the newspapers.

Picking the best team and the best eleven individuals are not the same. Players, press and money dictate who is picked.

Sven Goran Errickson had a very good record. But you wouldn't know from the slagging he gets. The eejits still think England has a god given right to be the best. The eejits.

England have a weak group while Scotland has a strong one. That the difference too.

The problem is that the England manager is a whipping boy for the press. So don't read the newspapers.

They dont cover the English Team over here in the Newspapers so it does not matter.

The Basket said:
Picking the best team and the best eleven individuals are not the same. Players, press and money dictate who is picked.

That is true.

Believe if you do not care for football soccer, you should still watch this.

Physically speaking no one should dare to deny blacks are flat superior to any other athletes...take a closer a look at is the HEIGHT OF THAT JUMP!!!!...watch the replay at 1:32...

And it is not only the height of the jump what´s impressive...it is also the type of downward header, not easy even if Biyik made it look "piece of cake" -well, only a black man could make a play like this seem so easy-.

Charlie, do you know the name of the argentinian defensive who "tried" to hinder Biyik from jumping?

I bet that 17 years after that, the argentinian guy still wakes up late in the night screaming, soaked in his own sweat.

YouTube - Argentina 0 Cameroon 1

That was Eduardo Sensini. The goalkeeper Nery Pumpido had butter hands, thanks god he broke one leg in thgis macht and was replaced by Goycoechea the rest of the Worl Cup.

Well I dont know about Sensini but I ve awaked up late in the night screaming, soaked in his my sweat, not for Biyik s goals, but for the penalty that made Sensini in the World Cups final against Rudy Voller wich allowed Andreas Brehme to score the definitive 1-0

Parmi, i agree with you.

But as i said, putting aside Biyik´s incredible jump -physical prowess-, the type of downward header speaks of the quality of the player -technical skills-.

I agree the ball was everything but irresistible, and that Pumpido made a (grave) mistake, -listen to the words of the comentator "...what should have been a simple save...", 100% agreed- but i have friends who eat, drink and breath football and told me you do not see that type of downward header that often.

Aslo i will agree to the comments some person posted in the youtube page saying Biyik´s jump is NBA class.

Charlie:

Thanks for the data. Poor Sensini...do you know if he sought psycho-therapy or any sort of emotional counseling after the game?

Charlie:

Thanks for the data. Poor Sensini...do you know if he sought psycho-therapy or any sort of emotional counseling after the game?

I dont know, I know that the only help that the fans wanted for this guy was a vet who could put him to sleep.

Charlie, i´ll have to agree here...

So chances are one of those missed calls on my cellphone came from Argentina with a request to have me as the coach of this particular and very interesting team.

Has Argentina ever considered sending this team forward to compete in official FIFA tournaments? Not even teams featuring players like Ronaldinho, Kaka, Riquelme, Messi or Thierry Henry could do a decent job in a match; seems to me focusing on the game would turn out a difficult venture.

Well here are the latest scores:

Scotland 3-1 Lithuania
Hungary 1-0 Bosnia-Herzegovina
England 3-0 Israel
Luxembourg 0-3 Slovenia
Belarus 1-3 Romania
Russia 3-0 F.Y.R. Macedonia

Georgia 1-1 Ukraine
Latvia 1-0 Northern Ireland
Wales 0-2 Germany
Malta 2-2 Turkey
Serbia 0-0 Finland