World Land Speed records

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
I talked with the crew chief of the F-104. Personally I don't think they have a chance in hell. Unless huge amounts of cash was ultimately injected into the design, it was garage engineering all the way. Some Boeing techs were supplying support when I talked with the guy, but their cash limited their ability to make huge technological changes that I would have envisioned for success (carbon fiber structure, modified cockpit windscreen, uprated engine, better aerodynamics for the wheel assembly, and perhaps some more sophisticated surface control computers. The whole thing at the time that I saw it looked like it was more likely to fly than stay on the ground. Literally think of an F-104, minus wings. Everything else was stock, including tail plane assembly. Rear wheels were very crude aluminum tubing. All I could imagine at 750+mph was the whole thing going airborne ending in disaster and tragedy for the pilot.

But what do I know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back