World War II Ouestion.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was used in the movie "12 O'Clock High." When the squadron was on for a mission, it was turned face forward, if the mission was off, it was turned face rear. See the movie, its a classic!

Update

GT said:
Yes ! the 1949 movie is well worth to see. Those who think that "Saving Private Ryan" was a great movie ought to watch this old black and white classic. In virtually every aspect except photography "Twelve O'Clock High" is superior. The script by Sy Bartlett in particular is vastly superior.

Spielberg's film focused on some of the command problems faced by Capt. John Miller (Tom Hanks) in fulfilling his combat mission, but the treatment and development were almost high schoolish (if I may) compared to the enthralling delineation in "Twelve O'Clock High." The problems encountered by Gregory Peck as the bomber group commander were complex, subtle and psychologically demanding, while the resolution was filled with the kind of male social and political dynamics not much explored at the movies these days.

Director Henry King's clean, crisp, "invisible" direction was also superior to the uneven and far too showy pandering from Spielberg. Furthermore the acting, with Gary Merrill and Hugh Marlowe supporting Peck, was also better. Ted Danson in his cameo and Matt Damon at times in "Saving Private Ryan" were almost laughable.

Comparing the two movies makes one wonder how much movies really have improved. Technically they have in every respect, but too often today's film-makers think they can get by with special effects and splashy sets. Pour a lot of blood, show a lot of skin, get people at each other's throat, and it will play, seems to be the attitude. What is often forgotten are the two most important aspects of film, namely, story and character development. In this respect I don't think today's films have improved on the great classics of the past./Dennis Litrell

Cheers
GT

Would be a perfect movie for a "remake."

While I would also like to see a remake of 12 oclock high, I wonder if Hollywood would do it justice these days. There is a lot of reliance on special effects and little on character development. Now, if you have Clint Eastwood direct it, now we might have a real winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back