Worst aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Joe,

Thanks for the additional info on the F4F -vs- Zero engagements at Midway and Guadalcanal. What I'm unclear on is what early warning capability was present on Guadalcanal and other, as you put it, intangible factors. Guess I'll have to do some reading!

As for the Malayan campaign, the origin of this whole discussion started with Parsifal's contention that Japanese air superiority during the Malayan campaign was obtained by 25 Zeros plus a roughly equal number of Ki-43s. My contention is that there were far more Japanese fighters available, and in this sense the Type 97 question is far from irrelevant.

I remain concerned about the lack of detail on IJAAF fighter operations in December 1941 and discrepancies between the documented actions. For example, during the combat over Kuala Lumpur on 22nd December, the 64th Sentai reportedly lost just one Ki-43 when the wings failed as it was pulling out of a dive. However, 453 Sqn pilots reported the loss of one of their mates, Sgt Mac Read, when his Buffalo collided with an enemy fighter. These 2 events are difficult to reconcile as being the same incident so were 2 Ki-43s lost or just one? Again, the gap in documentation of Type 97 and 59th Sentai activities is of importance here.

Kind regards,
Mark

Shortround,

My apologies for omitting the other aircraft you mentioned.
My memory is nothing, if not infalable.

Elvis

Besides the engine situation, I think that there at least two other problems that hurt the Buffalo.
One was the intergal fuel tank. This may have been "cutting edge" at the time and saved somewhere on the order of 100-200lbs over convetional unprotected tanks. This would have been a very good thing on a raceplane or transport or even a long range reconnaissance plane. And considering that NOBODY had protected tanks when the Buffalo was designed one can't really fault the designers for going with it. Once protected tanks became a requirement the Buffalo was in trouble.
THe other probelm was the armament. While the American .50 was a pretty good gun both it and it's ammunition are heavy. Even the Early Buffalo with three .50s and one .30 carried a heavier weight of guns and ammo than ANY 109 did that didn't use gun pods. It was also heavier than the Eight .303s with 350rpg on a MK II Spitfire.

Probably the Me-163. Despite it's incredible technological/performance superiority over everything else, it did not have much success in combat. Plus it's fuel would melt flesh if it came in contact with a person, and it killed more pilots in training/operational accidents than in combat.

Last edited:
the Skua was a 200mph 2 seat heavy fighter with 4 303MG.

I should not be so hard on the Skua. They manage to sink a German cruiser, and the first english plane shoot down a german plane in WW@ a Do18.

I should not be so hard on the Skua. They manage to sink a German cruiser, and the first english plane shoot down a german plane in WW@ a Do18.
point a finger at the Skua and it will point one directly at the Roc.

Skua was 1st a dive bomber (and a decent one) and after that a fighter. When the brass went to make a turret-fighter out of that (=Roc), while almost deleting the dive-bomb ability, they blew it.

point a finger at the Skua and it will point one directly at the Roc.

Clay, thats a great line!!!

The Me 163 did basically what it was designed for and that was a point intercepter. And there were never a multitude of 163s available for missions, so kills were low but if you ratio it out, they weren't bad. And most of those fuel problems were, like you stated, training accidents but there is some question on just how many pilots it killed. My guess is it wasn't so much the fuel as trying to learn to fly a boomerang with a firecracker!

Has anyone mentioned the Me 323, It was just a big sitting duck.

As was any transport aircraft if it was not protected by fighter cover. The Me 323 performed very well in its intended role. If it was not protected, of course it was going to shot down. As stated however, that is the case for all transport aircraft.

As was any transport aircraft if it was not protected by fighter cover. The Me 323 performed very well in its intended role. If it was not protected, of course it was going to shot down. As stated however, that is the case for all transport aircraft.

Actuallly that is true for all aircraft - including fighters and bombers

Hence box-formations and wingmen - well certainly during WW2 which is why we are here right ?

You missed my point.

A transport has very limited means to defend itself, but that does not mean it does not do its job well.

No actually I was agreeing with you by *extending* the analogy - Kapish ?

So, for example, Bombers are good at bombing - maybe not so good at defending themselves

BUT that does not make them bad at what they do - which is bombing

Ditto gliders, aerial recon, met recon yaddah yaddah

Gotcha...

BTW love the signature pic - is it an F or G model ?

I still think that if the 109 had been rejigged with an outward folding under-cart it would have gone down in history as an all-time great plane.

As you know, some of the latter K models with the last 605 engines were fast as anything and could really climb too.

Users who are viewing this thread