Worst aircraft of WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If any WW2 fighter was used in the Korean war in the 50's it would've been the worst of that conflict FLYBOYJ, the Jet's would massacre it.

Didn't a Corsair or P-51 get the first jet kill in Korea?

Further to Claidemore's post earlier:

Another biplane used (unsuccessfuly) in WW2 was the Vought Corsair V93S fighter bomber, used by the Royal Thai Air Force. Saw brief action when Japan attacked Thailand on Dec 8th 1941. Hopelessly outclassed by the Japanese aircraft

Curtis Hawk IIIs were also used by the RTAF during the Japanese attack ( they lost 5) and again against USAAF Liberators, B29s and P51Ds but without success as well as Hawk IIIs used as CAP over Thailand

The RTAF was sympathetic to the allies and reluctant to engage the allied aircraft unless they were actually attacking Thai targets. Some RTAF aircraft were actually used to ferry allied undercover agents into SE Asia

Attachments

• V93S.JPG
    V93S.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 125
  • HAWKIII.JPG
    HAWKIII.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 116
A hopelessly outdated plane is much better than no plane.
WHAT ABOUT THE HAWKER FURY?

I was not saying the V93S or the Hawk III were the worst, only adding to previously posted info... The Japanese pilots would have gained a lot more combat experience against China and the Soviets that the Thais would have had recently against the French

Re: "Hopelessly outclassed aircraft"

...what sank the Bismark?

Brits found that one useful all the way to '43 or '44.

--------------------------------------
Re: Korean Jet Kills

This is the first I've heard about Yak 9's vs. P/F-80's.
Anyone show me some virtual litrature?

I know the first MiG-15 killed was by an F-80.
That fact is often related as the first jet-to-jet battle, ever.
.....apparently not exactly "correct"?

Not doubting anyone, just first I've heard about it.

Elvis

Re: Korean Jet Kills

This is the first I've heard about Yak 9's vs. P/F-80's.
Anyone show me some virtual litrature?

I know the first MiG-15 killed was by an F-80.
That fact is often related as the first jet-to-jet battle, ever.
.....apparently not exactly "correct"?

Not doubting anyone, just first I've heard about it.

Elvis

Yup, JoeB seems to know a lot bout Korean war kills/claims.

I just googled it when somebody asked about P51 or F4U getting first jet kill in Korea and found a couple links with the Yak9 vs P80. It's listed as either July 15 or 19, a Chinese pilot, and the American pilot was named Odell? KIA I believe. There are some other P80 losses contributed to air to air about the same time, but no corresponding claims from the Yaks and La9's as well as claims by Yaks, but no confirmation from US sources.
I've never seen such a mess of contradictory figures!

From what I've read the first Mig 15 kill was not by a P-80 (Lt. Brown), but by a F9F Panther flown by a British pilot. The Mig Brown shot at was hit, but RTB according to Soviet data.

I'm sure others could shed more light on the subject.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread - there was also discussion about the export version that went to Finland where it had one of the best, if not the best kill to loss ratio of the entire war!!!!
:shock: .........
Oops!:oops: My bad!

B.T.W, has anyone ever heard of the BV Ae 607? (German) (Pictured here:
jh607-1.jpg
) This was one Particuly BAD creft that never quite made it... (GEE, I WONDER WHY?!?!)

B.T.W, has anyone ever heard of the BV 237 (German)? (Pictured here:)
bv237.html
This was one Particuly BAD creft that never quite made it... (GEE, I WONDER WHY?!?!)

How was it a particularly BAD aircraft? An aircraft that never was built cant be a bad aircraft.

Blohm Voss was actually very successfull with asymetrical designs. This design might have proven to be a good aircraft.

Now having said that, lets stick to aircraft that actually flew or were in service.

Or, pehaps, the BV p.170? (Pictured here) :
kw170-6.jpg

Again lets stick to aircaft that have actually flown. There is no way we will ever know if it was a good or bad aircraft, especially from a drawing.

the TBD's at midway were kamakzies just so the SBD could sink them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back