Worst to first

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
I was reading a short article about the SB2C Helldiver and how initially the pilots and crews hated the plane for multiple reasons, but once the issues were worked out it developed into a fine combat aircraft. So I got to thinking what other planes started out with terrible problems but became terrific planes.

The two on my mind are the SB2C Helldiver and the B-26 Marauder. What other planes can you name?

The Typhoon became the Tempest and then the Sea Fury but the Typhoon itself was a dog from most points of view.

The Mustang 1 got a bad rap though out its career, the pilots didn't like that they couldn't see behind them, I can list more but I would have to pull out my book on the P-51

Not many bad raps - it was instantly deemed the best American fighter by the RAF and many Mustang I remained on combat operations until VE Day. The valid criticisms included inferior climb when compared to Spit V and FW 190, and rate of roll (until P-51B). View wasn't great but Malcolm Hood solved that one.

I'd say the Swordfish started as a capable aircraft and stayed that way rather than developing into one.

Can't disagree, although focusing on the period when it was supposed to be replaced, it would be logical to assume that its replacement aircraft would be better than the Swordfish, hence the Swordfish would be "worst". I can't think of many aircraft that replace its successor so, from that, admittedly narrow, slice of the Swordfish's operational career when it was due for replacement, I think it can fit the bill...but not going to argue over it. :)

Can't disagree, although focusing on the period when it was supposed to be replaced, it would be logical to assume that its replacement aircraft would be better than the Swordfish, hence the Swordfish would be "worst". I can't think of many aircraft that replace its successor so, from that, admittedly narrow, slice of the Swordfish's operational career when it was due for replacement, I think it can fit the bill...but not going to argue over it. :)
The Spitfire replaced its successor, the Typhoons time as a front line fighter was very brief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back