Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen. Lewis Addison Armistead

• Gen. Edward Porter Alexander

• President Jefferson Davis

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If I'm not mistaken, both Grant and Sherman did go belly to belly with the confederates early in the war.

Both were low ranking officers when the war broke out.

I think Sherman went a little nutz (had a nervous breakdown). Started seening Confederate armies everywhere. Was relieved and considered suicide. Lucky for us, he didn't do it.

And Grant, well, Grant was just kind of Grant. He was unflappable. Only got quirky twice that I know of. Once after the first day in the Wilderness and the second right before the Battle of Nashville. Seemed to have this idea that Thomas was not able to do the job. Odd, 'cause Thomas was a good commander. But he and Grant never hit it off. Not that they hated each other, just not friendly towards each other.

However, both were caught flatfooted on the first day of Shiloh.

Whoops, sorry Syscom, I misread your post.

Yeah, Grant and Sherman were both under fire plenty. All the way through the war. Not because they wanted to inspire the men (at least that is not what I have read) but because they had a job to do and that entailed getting shot at. I don't think either one got involved in pulling the trigger. But they were under fire plenty.

I think Sherman went a little nutz (had a nervous breakdown). Started seening Confederate armies everywhere. Was relieved and considered suicide. Lucky for us, he didn't do it.

And Grant, well, Grant was just kind of Grant. He was unflappable. Only got quirky twice that I know of. Once after the first day in the Wilderness and the second right before the Battle of Nashville. Seemed to have this idea that Thomas was not able to do the job. Odd, 'cause Thomas was a good commander. But he and Grant never hit it off. Not that they hated each other, just not friendly towards each other.

However, both were caught flatfooted on the first day of Shiloh.

Whoops, sorry Syscom, I misread your post.

Yeah, Grant and Sherman were both under fire plenty. All the way through the war. Not because they wanted to inspire the men (at least that is not what I have read) but because they had a job to do and that entailed getting shot at. I don't think either one got involved in pulling the trigger. But they were under fire plenty.

The only battle that I know of that Grant was involved in which required him to go toe-to-toe with the enemy actually occured during the Mexican-American War; he was under fire outside of Mexico City, and was twice brevetted for bravery. I don't know of any battles during the Civil War where he personally discharged a firearm.

The only battle that I know of that Grant was involved in which required him to go toe-to-toe with the enemy actually occured during the Mexican-American War; he was under fire outside of Mexico City, and was twice brevetted for bravery. I don't know of any battles during the Civil War where he was personally discharged a firearm.

I believe it was in Missouri when he commanded a ragtag regiment (in name only).

Actually Tim, as I am sure you know, about twice as many men on both sides died of disease as of battle field wounds. That translates into about 90,000 Confederates were KIA and 160,000 died of disease. There is one exception that I know of: I have the figures for the Texas Brigade and they enlisted about 4,000 men and approx. 1000 died with twice as many KIA as died of disease. Go figure.

Was it partly Gettysburg that destroyed them so?

Gettysburg was Lee's great gamble to defeat the Union on the field and encircle and take Washington DC - then negotiate a peace. He knew he could prolong the war but never defeat the Union in a long war.

It is interesting to remember a couple of things. First, the War Between the States took more lives than all of our other wars combined from 1776 through early 1945.

Second, it got serious attention from the European leaders because the small relative population put 4,000,000+ soldiers under arms and into the field over the course of the war.

If I'm not mistaken, both Grant and Sherman did go belly to belly with the confederates early in the war.

Both were low ranking officers when the war broke out.

BGen Grant and Col Sherman in 1861 - they were definitely not low ranking officers.

Low ranking officers would be your company grades - 2ndLt, 1stLt, and Capt.

BGen Grant and Col Sherman in 1861 - they were definitely not low ranking officers.

US Grant, colonel, 2Ist Illinois (June 17, 1861).

And since he was in charge of an unruly group of volunteer regiments, plus as was common for western officers to fight up front with the troops, you can bet he was up in the thick of things.

US Grant, colonel, 2Ist Illinois (June 17, 1861).

And since he was in charge of an unruly group of volunteer regiments, plus as was common for western officers to fight up front with the troops, you can bet he was up in the thick of things.

By Sep he was BGen. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it would be taken as an insult to call an O-6 or O-7 low ranking! There are only a few ranks above that!

Col and above are treated with VIP status.

By Sep he was BGen. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but it would be taken as an insult to call an O-6 or O-7 low ranking! There are only a few ranks above that!

Col and above are treated with VIP status.

I dont think Gen grant ever thought much of his "VIP" status.

But the point is.... his first actions in the war were as an officer where he was required to be up front on the lines with his raw troops.

I believe he was also an officer of Volunteers as a Colonel. Probably Regular rank of Capt. But most of his upgrades were of Volunteers before his Regular rank moved.

I believe he was also an officer of Volunteers as a Colonel. Probably Regular rank of Capt. But most of his upgrades were of Volunteers before his Regular rank moved.

Just out of curiosity - how do you draw that Col in the vols is the equivalent of a Capt in regulars?

Was the billet he held the same as the billet a Col in regulars would hold, or did he hold a billet equivalent to a Capt - which is basically just a company commander???

Soundbreaker, the Texas Brigade was the Grenadier Guard for Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. They fought at Eltham's Landing, Seven Days, Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Fredricksburg, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, Wilderness, Petersburg, etc and were the rear guard during the final retreat to surrender at App. Courthouse. At the Wilderness when told that the Texas Brigade was leading the counterattack against Hancock's Corps, Lee said "Good, my Texans always move them" He also remarked about their foraging that " When the Texans are out foraging the chickens have to roost mighty high" Maybe that explains why they did not die from disease at the same rate as others.

Geez - I've never heard that one before...

Jeez - Mkloby you ARE a young toad.. my father served in both capacities, last as Dpty Chief of Staff Air Defense Command - Missles Div under Sandy McCorkle - and hated it. He was a line animal and cared less about the politics of the Pentagon. He decided to retire at 20 rather than do what had to be done in late 1950's to make 0-8 or 9

Nathan Bedford Forrest gets my vote as well. IMHO the man was an 1860's version of todays Special Forces. He kept a lot of Union troops tied up protecting so called safe areas that could have been used elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back