Would appreciate advice on scanning Slides

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider

Captain
Apr 23, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have been using a Nikon Coolscan slide scanner for some years, but today it has decided to give up the ghost. Repair costs are going to be high and second hand ones are very expensive.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to what they use for scanning slides and any suggestions that people may have.

Any ideas welcome

Thanking you in advance

Hi mate. I'm in exactly the same boat! Most of my remaining pics are on 35mm trannies, and I've just had to send some to my brother to scan. However, I've recently had an e-mail from a company I bought some stuff from, and they have a compact transparency and negative scanner, which, IIRC, is now down to around £50. From what I saw of the spec, the resolution and dimension capabilities looked quite good. If this is of interest, let me know, and I'll dig out the info.
Terry.
NB, I'll be on holiday from 26th August to 3rd September.

First of all I thank you both for your ideas, the Epson Perfection looks more than interesting and I think my next Birthday present question has been solved.

:occasion5:

If you do happen to "acquire" one, play around with Epson's Digital ICE software (comes with the scanner). It analyzes the scanned image and will make adjustments for fading, as well as taking out alot of the dust spots and lint strings that inevitably show up. Its not perfect, but it'll cut quite a bit of time out of your editing, especially for really old/bad photos!

:occasion5:

If you do happen to "acquire" one, play around with Epson's Digital ICE software (comes with the scanner). It analyzes the scanned image and will make adjustments for fading, as well as taking out alot of the dust spots and lint strings that inevitably show up. Its not perfect, but it'll cut quite a bit of time out of your editing, especially for really old/bad photos!

I will I promise. The Digital ICE software is/was on my Nikon scanner, it made a huge difference and was the main reason for going with the Epson scanner.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back