Wright Field 1945 Victory Display color photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is the nose art "Nerve Stealer" on the 162 actually Luftwaffe applied or post capture like "Allies Kaputt" on the 290. Anybody know for certain?

From my limited resources, I think it was original to the aircraft. This from War Prizes by Phil Butler: "The He 162 is currently in the Planes of Fame Museum, Chino Airfield, California, which is the present location of Ed Maloney's museum. It is marked as 'Red 1' of JG 1. with the nickname 'Nervenklau', both original markings. 'Nervenklau' was the nickname of the Heinkel's pilot, Lt Gerhard Hanf."

I'm sure "Alles Kaputt" was an original Luftwaffe nickname?! It's got so much meaning! :D

In that picture that Dave posted of T2-493 as White 4, you can see a P-61 on jacks in the background.

What is up with the cowling on this zero?

I don't think I've ever seen a carb intake like that before.
I hadn't really paid attention until now, but there actually is something odd about this cowling.

A6M5_cowl-closeup_003920006[300x300].jpg
A6M5_cowl-closeup_003920008[300x300].jpg

It certainly is not like other A6M5 cowls and at first I thought it might be an A6M8, but the inlet and ducting is different.

Is that really the inlet and ducting at the top od the engine cowling? I would say it is a part of anti-glare strip and either the light reflection at the sillver skillet of the top MG or a kind of its filling of the white colour.

Is that really the inlet and ducting at the top od the engine cowling? I would say it is a part of anti-glare strip and either the light reflection at the sillver skillet of the top MG or a kind of its filling of the white colour.
I considered the anti-glare paint creating an optical illusion, too...but when looking closely at verified A6M5 cowls, there is a noticeable difference.

I also considered an illusion created by the MG ports and this also was ruled out by close inspection of both painted and unpainted cowls.

Here is an image of the kite while ( still ?) wearing the Japanese insignia. I have enlarged the shot a little bit. IMHO there wasn't any air duct at the top.

zero-4a.jpg

zero-4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back