WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

...and all these years, I thought that was a Spad. People used to say he flew a Spad.

EDIT: I knew he did! But you're right, the other pic is a Nieuport.

View attachment 706461
"That ain't a SPAD, son! THIS is a SPAD."
th-97245747.jpg

"Societie pour Production des Avions Douglas"

Ol' Eddie and the Hat in the Ring boys were ready before the SPADs were, so had to settle for second best initially.
"These American kids aren't ready yet to operate and maintain a modern fighter, and what if one gets shot down "over there" and les Boches get to see our latest technology?"

Last edited:
"That ain't a SPAD, son! THIS is a SPAD."
View attachment 706466
"Societie pour Production des Avions Douglas"

Ol' Eddie and the Hat in the Ring boys were ready before the SPADs were, so had to settle for second best initially.
"These American kids aren't ready yet to operate and maintain a modern fighter, and what if one gets shot down "over there" and les Boches get to see our latest technology?"
LOL! I think those "SPAD's" were named in honour of THe ORIGINAL SPAD's that flew in the first war.
As for the Nieuport's being issued to the Escadrille first, Wiki explains it this way...
Wikipedia said:
By the time the Nieuport 28 was available, the SPAD XIII had been chosen to equip the escadrilles de chasse of the Aéronautique Militaire for 1918, and this fighter was also the first choice for the projected American "pursuit" squadrons.[2] In the event, a shortage of SPADs led to Nieuport 28s being issued to four American squadrons between March and August 1918, becoming the first aircraft to see operational service with an American fighter squadron.
So it had nothing to do with "second rate" aircraft, but rather a suitable replacement due to a shortage of the chosen aircraft.

So it had nothing to do with "second rate" aircraft, but rather a suitable replacement due to a shortage of the chosen aircraft.
A personal view was that the Nieuport 28 was a second rate aircraft with if I remember correctly, a nasty habit of losing the upper wing.

Actually not too crazy colour. Just an early illustrator's attempt to getting of a tone of a varnished plywood for printing. Not very successful IMHO. And here the starboard of the kite.

Albatros CIII.jpg

the source: the net.

and the other newer attempts to ...

o2-3.jpg

c3.jpg

and here a pic of her ...

c3_a.jpg

the source: the net

I used to have a book written by Canadian Harold Hartney (Up and At 'Em) about serving in the US squadrons in WWI, apparently the Nieuport 28 was a very good plane but dive limited. Generally well liked for it's maneuverability and speed. I'll have to go to storage and see if I can find that old tome, it was a pretty good read.

I agree with X XBe02Drvr , very good looking plane, for sleek however I'll still go with the SPAD.

However, for pure sleek, it's hard to beat the Albatros D.I - D.V

No to say X XBe02Drvr doesn't have an eye for beauty but perhaps just not as refined/cultured as mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back