WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airco D.H.1

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

Sopwith Dragon @ 149 mph
TILT!! It appears the Dragon never entered squadron service, never saw combat, and was flying only in prototype form as of 11:11/11/11/18, all production machines in storage for lack of engines. How does that qualify as a WW1 combat aircraft? Shall we designate the P59 and P80 as WWII combat aircraft?
Cheers,
Wes

Last edited:
The SE5A was credited with 138 MPH but had chronic reliability issues, quoting a single research aircrafts performance is misleading. The Supermarine S6 won the Schneider trophy and set a speed of 407 MPH in 1931 but the pilot couldn't see forward and it ran on Benzole methanol acetone and tetra ethyl lead.

The SE5A was credited with 138 MPH but had chronic reliability issues, quoting a single research aircrafts performance is misleading. The Supermarine S6 won the Schneider trophy and set a speed of 407 MPH in 1931 but the pilot couldn't see forward and it ran on Benzole methanol acetone and tetra ethyl lead.

I think you have the SE5A confused with the SE4. I think there was only one SE4 was made, but thousands of SE5A's were made. The geared engine 200 hp engine the SE5A was originally introduced with was troublesome, but they eventually solved the problems. The SE5a was credited with a 138 mph top speed by some sources, as was the earlier SE4.

I think you have the SE5A confused with the SE4. I think there was only one SE4 was made, but thousands of SE5A's were made. The geared engine 200 hp engine the SE5A was originally introduced with was troublesome, but they eventually solved the problems. The SE5a was credited with a 138 mph top speed by some sources, as was the earlier SE4.
Tyrodom I was not confused it was just badly written by me mixing up two points/issues.

The SE4 was high performing in terms of speed but in no way a serviceable military aircraft (like the Supermarine S6), even the SE5A which did 138MPH had chronic reliability issues years later.....was what I should have posted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back