WW1 aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Close up as mounted on a SE5a
http://c7.alamy.com/comp/GHK6K8/se5a-of-the-shuttleworth-collection-at-old-warden-GHK6K8.jpg
stock-photo-se5a-of-the-shuttleworth-collection-at-old-warden-114133692.html

That Lewis gun may be within reach of the gunner. The pilot sits almost under the trailing edge of the wing, and the gunner only had a waist strap (if anything) so was a lot more mobile.

I wonder how the pilot managed that rear firing Lewis on the B.E.12 ?
It had to be pretty hard to aim looking over your shoulder .

Last edited:
Some of the early aircraft mounted the Lewis above the wing, before the Foster mount was thought of.
In those aircraft the pilot had to unstrap, stand up, while holding the stick somehow, and change that drum.
The double drum held over 90 rounds, so you didn't change it often.

Yep, it's also worth considering that the early (pre-interruptor gear mounted scouts) had the mount (as in the (Louis) Strange mount) as a means of not shooting off your own propeller, whereas in the Brisfit, 2F.1 Ship's Camel and S.E.5a it was more of a supplement to existing forward firing armament and meant that the pilot could fire at an aircraft above. Louis Strange recounted an episode whilst flying a Martinsyde S.1 where he had to hang on for dear life by the Lewis gun case as the aircraft inverted itself. Here's a wee link to a model of the episode in question:

Martinsyde S.1, Inverted, with Louis Strange by reducedAircraftFactory on Shapeways

Nice pics of B.E family too, Wojtek.

I wonder how the pilot managed that rear firing Lewis on the B.E.12 ?
It had to be pretty hard to aim looking over your shoulder .

I was curious too and did a little research, that was the only pic I could find of the gun mounted like that and I don't see a rear view mirror. Perhaps it is mounted on a swivel that allowed the gun to be moved forwards and left their for storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back