WW1 Bombers.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese said:
Ahhhh I really dont know. Im in two minds about it.

It's a big commitment. To work in aviation you really got to love aircraft. Here in the states the job market really fluctuates, that's one of the reasons why I became a flight instructor, something else to fall back on.

Id wanna be a pilot, but my medical history is bound to prevent that. I dunno whether I wanna go through the hassle of it all to just be disappointed.

cheddar cheese said:
Id wanna be a pilot, but my medical history is bound to prevent that. I dunno whether I wanna go through the hassle of it all to just be disappointed.

What do you have (had) wrong, if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, I would think that would probably disqualify you form the military. In the civilian ranks however, you still might be able to learn how to fly. I know over here the FAA has relaxed many of the rules regarding epilepsy and diabetes. I know the FAA over here and the JAA and CAB usually walk to the same beat on many issues like this.

I am actually cleared of it - it was detected when I was young and Im not on meds anymore, and it wasnt serious in the first place. But because its a Mental Illness its possible that it could return, consindering that many of my relatives in the same generation have epilepsy.

I just checked with some folks here at the USAFA - if you had it when you where young and cleared and are not on meds, you are good to go. On the civilian side, the FAA takes into consideration your last seizure. One of the guys that work for me was an Alaskan Bush pilot. He actually knew a pilot who had epilepsy and had no problem retaining his medical.

Wow that sounds promising...and seeing as my last seizure was way back in early 2003, and that curing me was no problem I can get my hopes up again. Thanks, FBJ!

Do your homework about it first. If down the road you decide on the military, you could probably access policy on the internet and cite that policy and regulations when speaking to a recruiter. If you go for a PPL, check your CAA regulations and see what they have to say. Many times people will say "no" because they don't understand the requirements and don't want to do the research....

FLYBOYJ said:
I just checked with some folks here at the USAFA - if you had it when you where young and cleared and are not on meds, you are good to go. On the civilian side, the FAA takes into consideration your last seizure. One of the guys that work for me was an Alaskan Bush pilot. He actually knew a pilot who had epilepsy and had no problem retaining his medical.

Hey - I double checked on this and the feedback I got was it's basically going to be up to the doctor that reviews your case. If you been cleared and are not on any meds you may have a good chance. On the negative, the doctor may not want to accept the liability if anything turns up later.

I don't know how a case like this would go over in the UK, but the best thing I could tell you is keep the faith until you get a solid no!

When my brother was in ATC, they got to fly the Chimpmunk and Bulldog. (random note there)

plan_D said:
When my brother was in ATC, they got to fly the Chimpmunk and Bulldog. (random note there)

There's a guy who imported about 10 Bulldogs, left them in RAF markings, would love to get my hands on one! =P~

RAF Finningley was SAR-HQ and a training base when we arrived. They had all the training aircraft for flight crews (except pilots); Domonies, Chimpmunks, Bulldogs, Jet Streams, Jet Provost and Techanos. The Bulldogs and Chimpmunks were soley for the ATC.

They're freakin' dump. The Techano was sweet to watch flying and I got to sit in one...oh yes, I've sat in a plane that no one has even heard of. :laughing6:

I love the Tucano, its very sleek. They occasionally fly over the nearby hills quite low. The noise of the turboprop is damn loud
Its cool to have an airbrake on a prop plane

johnsontucanoa.jpg

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/johnsontucano.htm

God damn it, he's heard of them! :rolleyes:

Yeah, they are mean little machines. I used to go into RAF Finningley to visit my dad after school (the guards just used to let me walk right in) in his Nimrod hut at the end of the runway where there was him, a rigger, a sooty, a fairey and chief tech. keepin' this Nimrod runnin' for training the flight radar op lads. Anywho, I just used to sit outside and watchin' them take off, land and buzzin' around.

Obviously they were all red and white in those days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back