ww2 help

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thank you for your help i really appreciate it. Do you mean like this, do these look ok?

First Battle of Marne – 5 Sepember1914
How did Gallieni send more troops to General Joffre? He used taxis
What was the result of the first Battle of Marne? French army and BEF won
Who led the German army to defeat the Russians in East Prussia? Paul Von Hindenburg and Erich Ludendorff.
When was the second Russian army defeated by the German army? August 1914
What Russian commander committed suicide? Alexander Samsonov
When was the first Russian army defeated by the German army? September 1914

Yes it is ok. I would suggest removing of the 6 point too..

As a result you will get the list ..

First Battle of Marne – 5 Sepember1914
How did Gallieni send more troops to General Joffre? He used taxis
What was the result of the first Battle of Marne? French army and BEF won
Who led the German army to defeat the Russians in East Prussia? Paul Von Hindenburg and Erich Ludendorff.
When was the second Russian army defeated by the German army? August 1914
When was the first Russian army defeated by the German army? September 1914

Should i keep who commited suicide? Alexander Samsonov, or dont i need to remember that?

No it is not needed. I deleted the point from the above list. Have you read my post above?

Do you know any good documentaries on ww1 and ww2 telling the various events of the war on you tube?

Alec, it is difficult to recommend any of them. There is a lot of such films. Just go there and type the event you are interested in and the Youtube search will display a list of them. In the way you can be able to chose which one you want to watch.

Hi im trying to learn European theatre of WW2 by reading things off this site - European Theater of World War II I have typed out Questions and answers to try and remember facts. My mate who knows about WW2 told me to learn when the outbreak of ww2 was and where it started which i know, then read about Dunkirk and what happened. War started in 1939 with Germany attacking Poland, they used the Blitzkrieg tactic, then 2 days later Britain and France declared war on Germany. That's what i know so far. I have read a little on the Battle of France, I don't really understand it, was the battle of France the battle of Belgium and Holland too? So the Germans attacked France through the Ardennes forest, then what, attacked Belgium? How did the british get to Dunkirk beach?
Hi Ash

I think reading endless "facts" about WW2 and aircraft is too much kike swotting up for school exams. Instead, I have gained what I consider a fair knowledge of what happened in the war through reading autobiographies by people who experienced the events at first hand. Many wonderful books were written in the 50s, and some as late as the 2000s. Escape books come to mind, such as "The Wooden Horse" and "They Have Their Exits". Then there are all the wonderful fighter pilot memoirs like "Wing Leader" (Johnnie Johnson", "Nine Lives" (Al Deere). "The Last Enemy" (Richard Hillary) and many more. One of the best bomber pilot autobiographies is "No Moon Tonight" by Don Charlwood. You don't have to buy these books; your local library will order them for you from libraries all over the country, and you can fill in an online request. My rule of thumb is not to read biographies (written by someone else in the third person "he"), but only AUTObiographies in the first person "I". Churchill's 12-volume "The Second World War" is very readable. As you read more and more your knowledge grows, and you find yourself taking with a pinch of salt some of the opinions or claims by individual writers, e.g. the conflict of opinion on fighter tactics between Leigh-Mallory and Park. Since you are disabled, you'd probably enjoy "Best Foot Forward" by Colin Hodgkinson, the other Spifire pilot who, like Douglas Bader, flew with tin legs.

Happy reading!

Hi Ash

I think reading endless "facts" about WW2 and aircraft is too much kike swotting up for school exams. Instead, I have gained what I consider a fair knowledge of what happened in the war through reading autobiographies by people who experienced the events at first hand. Many wonderful books were written in the 50s, and some as late as the 2000s. Escape books come to mind, such as "The Wooden Horse" and "They Have Their Exits". Then there are all the wonderful fighter pilot memoirs like "Wing Leader" (Johnnie Johnson", "Nine Lives" (Al Deere). "The Last Enemy" (Richard Hillary) and many more. One of the best bomber pilot autobiographies is "No Moon Tonight" by Don Charlwood. You don't have to buy these books; your local library will order them for you from libraries all over the country, and you can fill in an online request. My rule of thumb is not to read biographies (written by someone else in the third person "he"), but only AUTObiographies in the first person "I". Churchill's 12-volume "The Second World War" is very readable. As you read more and more your knowledge grows, and you find yourself taking with a pinch of salt some of the opinions or claims by individual writers, e.g. the conflict of opinion on fighter tactics between Leigh-Mallory and Park. Since you are disabled, you'd probably enjoy "Best Foot Forward" by Colin Hodgkinson, the other Spifire pilot who, like Douglas Bader, flew with tin legs.

Happy reading!
Interesting. I like the sound of autobiographies. Is this book any good?
Web results
1914-1918: The History of the First World War: Amazon.co.uk: David ...
Amazon.co.uk: Low Prices in Electronics, Books, Sports Equipment & more › 1914-1918-...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Ash

Happy reading!

Could you give me a list of ww1 autobiographies please?

Hi mate can you explain something please? I want to quickly learn facts and I was told to type a mind map with facts in order

i have done this mind map, have i done it right? you have to zoom in to read it.

Attachments

• WW1.jpg
    WW1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 30
Could you explain please how you get facts out of this page?

The Germans now found themselves in the very situation they had wanted to avoid – a war on two fronts. A system of over 1,000 miles of defensive trenches appeared on the Eastern Front. Although much longer – unlike the Western Front, the front lines were often as much as fifty miles apart – these fronts were not continuous, and were lightly defended. German sources of manpower and equipment were stretched even further when, throughout the war, they were obliged to send reinforcements to help the Austrian–Hungarians. They felt as if they were 'shackled to a corpse'.

Alec, it is quite difficult to explain and describe the way the facts can be gotten out... just when I read a such text I'm choosing these ones that can be interested or main for the purpose I want to achieve. For instance .. the fisrt sentence...

"The Germans now found themselves in the very situation they had wanted to avoida war on two fronts."

I have underlined the words that can be useful for crating a question and the answer to it. As you may notice .. "Germans found themself in situation they wanted to avoid."
Now the shorther sentence can be used for creating the question... of course it depends on what you want to ask about.. let's say you want to ask about the situation...

so the question can be :
- In what situation Germans did find themself? The answer can be " In the war on two fronts."

also you may ask..
- What did Germans want to avoid? The replay can be " The war on two fronts."

The another sentence.. " A system of over 1,000 miles of defensive trenches appeared on the Eastern Front. "
- What appeared on the Eastern Front? So the answer can be "1.000 miles of trenches" or A 1.000 miles system of trenches.

The next sentence explains us what was the difference in the system of trenches on the Western and Eastern Frontes.. or just how the Eastern Fron line looked like.

"Although much longer – unlike the Western Front, the front lines were often as much as fifty miles apart – these fronts were not continuous, and were lightly defended.

As a result we can create a new descrption of the Eastern Front.
"The system of trenches at the Eastern Front was much longer than the one of the Western Front. But the system of trenches wasn't continuous. There were fifty miles apart often. Additionally the lines were lightly defended."

The questions to each of the new sentences can be created now.

For instance..

What were the differences in the lines of trenches on the Eastern and Western Fronts.

1. The Eastern Front had longer lines of trenches than the Western Front.
2. The Eastern Front line wasn't continuous. There were intervals of fifty miles often.
3. The lines of trenches were badly defended.

In the same way you may analyze the last two sentences of the text you post above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back