WW2 Myths

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well one for sure is that ridiculous urban myth that the enemy would listen for the en-bloc clip retainer "ping" when it ejected on the last round of the M-1 Garand and they'd somehow rush in and kill the rifleman. Sillyest assed thing I ever heard of. As if during a firefight with your stunted hearing due to fire you'd be able to hear that 150 yards away much less jump up and run towards the guy!

You're quite right of course, but it is sooo cool. I have a Garand, and on a range
everyone notices that sound, ya really feel like the big man on campus.

A guy once had me fooled that a Sea Fury's radial was a two stroke engine. I believed that for years, after all he was an aviator and it did sound quite different from the Corsair at the same field.

Hi guys.

I watched a programme about so-called "Foo Fighters" during World War Two, ages ago, and one of the encounters was during a bombing raid on Germany in 1943. The aircrew of an Avro Lancaster bomber saw a group of four or five coloured lights following the bomber stream for some time, then they simply vanished. They interviewed a lot of WW2 aircrew veterans, both British and American, who said they'd seen these "Foo Fighters", and said they thought that it
was some type of new German un-manned fighter; Germany's new secret weapon...

Anything is possible I suppose Bf. On records my Father saw or claim to have seen a V2 being launched whilist he was on a Lanc raid with his Squadron will have to check on that and go back through his log books

Heres one- the germans had a wierd AA shell that when it exploded, it looked like a lancaster blowing up. Not true, but the crews thought it was real.

Anything is possible I suppose Bf. On records my Father saw or claim to have seen a V2 being launched whilist he was on a Lanc raid with his Squadron will have to check on that and go back through his log books

I've read of a bunch of guys who've seen the same thing. One guy was a P51 driver who saw one take off and head off into the wild blue. As I recall, they guy said it was miles away but very noticeable.

If you're father saw one in a Lanc or Halifax, it must've been amazing. Especially at night.

The Myth that some Americans think WW2 was won by them exclusively. Sorry my American friends that one does get annoying to your Allies. No insult intended but after 65 odd bloody years one could throttle some ingnorant idiot who prattles that line too often without prior knowledge that the Allies to the US at the time were fighting and dying right alongside with US Troops Airmen and Sailors, The line that annoys me is the one if it wasn't for the USA Great Brtian would be speaking Germn. Needless to say the Luffwaffe had been defeated by the RAF over England and that Australia would be speaking Japanese if it wasn't for the USA. Obviously the Coral Sea battle was justifiably important but the Japs also decided to attack over land via the Owen Stanley ranges in PNG And at one time it was only Australian Trrops who turned the Japs back from taking Port Moresby. Due to the fact US Troops had not arrived in sufficient numbers to add to the PNG Camapign at the time

How many missions did he fly? Do a full tour?

Yes Tim he did 33 missions recorded in his log book but officialy only 31 recorded by operations 30 mission over Germany and 3 occupied Territories with 467 Squadron RAAF 5th Bomber Group Waddington England. No idea why 2 of the last missions were not recorded officially. But at the time i suppose my Father and his mates didn't care as the war was nearly over. I believe they were on leave for 6 days when war was declared over and they came back to base and got royally pissed and drunk

The Myth that some Americans think WW2 was won by them exclusively. Sorry my American friends that one does get annoying to your Allies.

I believe it's safe to say that over 80% of Americans think the Eastern Front was a side show and the entire war started on Dec 7 1941. Until there is a popular televised sitcom about The Blitz, North Africa or Stalingrad, not much will change.

I'm not sure propaganda is the right word. I think it's American isolation and entertainment all packaged in convenient doses.

"The Minutemen slayed the Redcoats."
"The Calvary rescued the wagon trains."
"The reluctant warrior Yank beat the nasty Nazis and sneaky Japs."

It's what people want to believe because it makes good stories.

We need Mel Gibson to make more movies!... LOL

>>and save the typing ... rednecks! I am not anti-american. I am proud of (most) of the roles we've played in history<<

You can argue as much as you wish...without the U.S.A. joining the fight neither Great Britain nor the Soviet Union -fighting independently or jointly- manage to beat Germany.

You can argue as much as you wish...without the U.S.A. joining the fight neither Great Britain nor the Soviet Union -fighting independently or jointly- manage to beat Germany.

OH Lord....Who is arguing? Any dimwit would agree that America's contributions were vital to Allied victory. Just as there are millions of dimwits that think the Soviets played a minor role and that the Brits and Anzac's were along for the ride

I´ll be honest with you comiso but what i´ve met so far is a clear majority of people who believe the USSR won world war two all by itself...

Unfortunately Udet if it wasn't for our one time Soviet Allies becoming our Allies when it did. The war may have lasted longer than it did. When Germany attacked Russia in 1941 bringing Russia into the Allied camp so to speak to fight the Germans. The Allies would have faced up to some stiff opposition not only in Italy but also in France and North Africa with the inclusion of some 50 to 60 German Division fighting on the Western front against the Allies of Great Britian Her Commonwealth France and the USA. Normandy would possibley not have occurred nor the landings in Sicily or Italy or the campaigns in North Africa may have ended differently. Those German Divisions sent to fight in Russia after 1941 were tied down invading Russia and thank god they the Russians had joined the war against Germany. When the Russians eventually took Berlin in April 1945 they lost 300,000 plus troops taking the city of Berlin. Could or would the Allies sustained that amount of losses in just taking the capital of Germany? The answer possibley not if one goes on the idea of losses that the USA would have sustained in taking the Home Island of Japan. where estimated losses were to be expected of 1 million men.If the atomic bombs hadn't been used to end the War in the Pacific. Russia like the USA didn't win WW2 by themselves nor did England or her Commonwealth or France or the European Occupied Nations. it was a combination of all Allied Nations fighting a one common foes the Axis Forces of Germany Italy and Japan. But my original point was and not to insult our American friends but one does hear a lot the sheer ignorance or maybe the lack of education the phrases that annoys the Allies of the USA. I would dare say that all the contributors and forum members who come from the USA know better and are educated to the degree to debunk that myth entirely about the USA winning WW2 by themselves etc. Its just a small minority of less intelligent Americans or badly educated ones who know little and don't realize they are prattling ignorance and arrogance. I might remind you to Udet that the war began on 1st September 1939 not 7th December 1941. The US declared war on Japan on 8th december 1941. 2 days later Germany and Italy declared war on the US bringing the USA into the World War 2. Russia was invaded by Germany in mid 1941 with the start of Operation Barbarossa. Nearly 3 to 6 months before Pearl Harbour occured. The Russians incurred huge losses during Operation Barbarossa on their own territory and lost between 1 to 1.5 million men in the first few days of the invasion by Germany. This not only included men but also material tanks weapons artillery aircraft and every form of communication equipment that was available at the time to the Russians. The Russians virtually pushed back the Germans from the gates of Moscow back to Berlin. But the Russians also had to endure Stalingrad Seige, The lost of major oil producing areas around the Black Sea. but the Russians virtually also had to transport their heavy manufacturing equipment and factories to other parts of Russia beyond German Bombers and land forces and all of this with aid coming from England and the USA via the North Atlantic convoys or via supplies from the USA directly via the Aluetian Islands which that equipment had to travel from Asiactic Russia Siberian railways to European Russia which those supplies along with troops had to cross over 5000 miles of territory to enter the European War. Was Russias contribution any greater or any less than any other Allied Nation? No it wasn't but one has to remember that Russia at the time was fighting Germans on their own soil for nearly 3 1/2 years and how much of what I have passed to you Udet does the average US citizen know of the Russian Campaigns during WW2? I suspect very little my friend. But you Udet are different. You do know the history of WW2 and the contributions of the Allies to the USA during WW2. So it wasn't aimed at you my original post ok

I´ll be honest with you comiso but what I've met so far is a clear majority of people who believe the USSR won world war two all by itself...

Thats another discussion that would entail several "what if's?"

I am talking about what is...

I'm certain that 40% of my co-workers, all with at least a 4 year degree, believe that the Russians fought on the same side as Germany. I'd also wager that 80% believe that the majority of the major land battles in Europe took place in only after the Americans arrived to save democracy and little French girls in 1944 with the our superior tanks.

If they even know there was an Eastern front, they have no concept of the scope.

I submit that this attitude is not born from blind arrogance or intentional propaganda, it's because of Americas isolation and entertainment industry. Many of our allies still have daily reminders of WW2. Pill boxes dot the countryside, war memorials and personal memories can't let people forget. They are educated by osmosis.

We on the other hand, are primarily reminded by what ever tv show or movie that happens to be playing. Too many Yanks think that John Wayne won WW2 with his good-intentioned, hapless, English speaking allies nipping at the heals.

Nobody is disparaging America by acknowledging the tremendous team effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back