WWII Japanese sub found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thorlifter

Captain
Jun 10, 2004
Knoxville, TN
World War II Japanese mega-submarine discovered off Hawaii | Fox News

A Japanese submarine that was lost at sea after it was intentionally scuttled by the U.S. Navy during World War II has been located by a team of explorers off the coast of Hawaii.

A spokesman for the University of Hawaii at Mānoa said in a press release the discovery of the Imperial Japanese Navy's mega-submarine, the I-400, solves the decades-old mystery of where the submarine lay on the ocean floor.

The I-400 was one of the "Sen-Toku" class submarines, which were the largest submarines ever built until nuclear-powered subs were invented. It is 400 feet long and could travel one and a half times around the world without refueling.

"The I-400 has been on our 'to-find' list for some time," said veteran undersea explorer Terry Kerby, who led the expedition that found the submarine. "It was the first of its kind of only three built, so it is a unique and very historic submarine."

Kerby said finding the submarine where they did was "totally unexpected" because they had expected it to be further out to sea.

"It was a thrill when the view of a giant submarine appeared out of the darkness," Kerby said.

The U.S. Navy captured the I-400 and four other Japanese submarines at the end of the war and brought them to Pearl Harbor to inspect them. In 1946, the Soviet Union demanded access to the submarines under the terms of the treaty that ended the war.

Instead of allowing the Soviets access to the submarines' advanced technology, the U.S. sunk them and claimed to have no information about where they were. Four out of the five submarines have since been located.

The I-400 was discovered in August and its discovery was announced Tuesday, after the NOAA reviewed the discovery with government officials in the U.S. and Japan.

I wonder if there will be an attempt to raise her?
Something 400 feet long and underwater for...... a long time would be a difficult task.

I think it would depend on how comprehensivley she was scuttled, and the condition of the hull after 70 years sitting on the bottom. At 400 feet, not much light, means not much corrosion. if its cold, might be lucky

What a marvelous piece of engineering. I would be awesome if it could be raised and displayed.
To be honest, the I-400, while an impressive looking boat, were a technological dead-end. The British and French had played with the idea of submarine aircraft carriers in the pre-war period but found them impractical and ineffective.

Last edited:
The vision shows some weathering effects, particulalry the loss of the topp decking, but to me the hull looks reltively intact. Id be inclined to put it into the category of possibly salvagable.

The question is whether its worth it..........

...The question is whether its worth it..........
From a historical point of view, the I-400 submarines were a huge leap in submarine technology and worth more than a footnote in naval history. Even though they were never used to their fullest capabilities, they did inspire later generations of subs, so raising and preserving it would be a worthy cause.

Salvaging it would certainly be difficult and costly.

To be honest, the I-400, while an impressive looking boat, were a technological dead-end. The British and French had played with the idea of submarine aircraft carriers in the pre-war period but found them impractical and ineffective.

I do not think I would agree with the concept of it being a dead end, with the rise of the UAV's some modern designs are off subs capable of launching them, the French SMX-25 for example.

I wonder if the double structured pressure tubes inside are still durable to be lifted up.

I-400 structure.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back