Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vought-Sikorsky OS2U Kingfisher

• PBY Catalina

• Nakajima C6N Saiun

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

16KJV11

Airman
May 8, 2005
Timbuktu
Ok, here's an exciting one:8)
What was the most effective recon aircraft of WWII.
I like the Arado 234B-1 for speed and altitude.

Mossie....!

For every possible reason..

Although I'd distinguish between which Theater and Naval vs Overland. Different rules apply. The Japs had some great long aircraft but their low speed offered no protection.

Gotta like the PBY and Condor too

The Mossie has to get two thumbs up. In the Pacific, perhaps the F-5 Lightning or the F-6 Mustang would also get mentions, along with the Catalinas. At least the Mustang was armed, so it could defend itself........

For effectivness I go with the Mossie only because of its longer service record.

Now having said that the best recon aircraft hands down was the Arado Ar 234 Blitz. Besides it was one pretty aircraft. If you have not seen it go to the NASM in Washington DC and check her out.

I added a poll to the site. Sorry if I forgot some aircraft. I am not up to date on the British, American and Russian recon aircraft.

Also what was the photo recon version of the P-38 Lightning. I used to have a page saved in my favorites that had all the varients of the Lightning but I cant seem to find it.

At the end of the war the Ar234.. for continuous service the Mosquito.. for the US a toss up between F-5 (P-38) and F-6 (P-51) because it was armed.

All had great speed, range and high ceiling making it difficult to stop any of them.

For effectivness I go with the Mossie only because of its longer service record.

Now having said that the best recon aircraft hands down was the Arado Ar 234 Blitz. Besides it was one pretty aircraft. If you have not seen it go to the NASM in Washington DC and check her out.

Anyone have a link to this?

For a recon aircraft, any kind with two engines is better than one, or not?

Like, would a Mossie or P-38 be better than a P-51?

Limbergh said he didn't want to engines, because one of them might break down. But wouldn't that actually be better? To have a spare engine in a long flight over water?

I would like to go for the Spitfire but the Mk XI out of choice. It was prodiced in the largest numbers, had an excellent range and was used on the most dangerous missions with great success.

There were faster ones e.g. Mk XIX but for all round ability the Mk XI would take the prize.

The P38 and Mossie had an advantage in that it had plenty of room to mount the camera(s) and not interfere with internal fuel stowage.

That makes the them superior to the F6.

The P38 and Mossie had an advantage in that it had plenty of room to mount the camera(s) and not interfere with internal fuel stowage.

That makes the them superior to the F6.
The PR Mossie could mount cameras the F-5 (P-38 ) could not. The Americans ordered PR Mossies. Two points that put the Mossie ahead of the F-5 (P-38 ).

The Japanese had a good plane in the Ki-46 Dinah. The Americans had a hard time catching it.

The Arado took the first German photos of the Normandy beach area in Aug 1944.

16KJV11, Arado Ar 234B-2 Blitz

The Mosquito PR.VIII? If I'm not mistaken, there were only a handful built. As such I can hardly vote for it even though I consider the Mosquito the best overall aircraft of WW2.

Ar 234 was damn good too but arrived too late and achieved very little.

I like the Dinah but also the C6N was impressive, 610 kmh and great range.

There are also some observation planes in the list, that makes it even more difficult to chose.

Kris

The PR Mossie could mount cameras the F-5 (P-38 ) could not. The Americans ordered PR Mossies. Two points that put the Mossie ahead of the F-5 (P-38 ).

The Japanese had a good plane in the Ki-46 Dinah. The Americans had a hard time catching it.

The Arado took the first German photos of the Normandy beach area in Aug 1944.

16KJV11, Arado Ar 234B-2 Blitz

The P38 had its advantages, in that it was all metal construction and a single seater.

The P38 had its advantages, in that it was all metal construction and a single seater.
That means the pilot has to do the navigation and pilot the plane. Recon flights are not normally of short duration.

Wood doesn't give the same radar profile as metal.

The Mosquito PR.VIII? If I'm not mistaken, there were only a handful built. As such I can hardly vote for it even though I consider the Mosquito the best overall aircraft of WW2.

Then vote for the Mossie itself if you believe it was the best. I was not sure how many were built....:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back