Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vought-Sikorsky OS2U Kingfisher

• PBY Catalina

• Nakajima C6N Saiun

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I voted for the F-3/F-4 (P-38) based on it's service record as a recon. ship. Certainly the Mosquito deserves much praise in this role as well. I have often wondered how the Hughes XF-11, Republic XF-12, and Northrop XF-15 would have performed.

PR.1: 10 built.
PR.IV: 29 built.
PR.VIII: 5 built.
PR.IX: Two-stage Merlin engines, 90 built.
PR.XVI: Pressurized cabin, two-stage Merlin 72/73 or 76/77 engines. 432 built.
PR.32: High-altitude photo-reconnaissance variant based on PR.XVI, with lightened structure, extended wings derived from the NF.XV, pressurized cabin, and Merlin 113/114 engines. One conversion from a PR.XVI, 5 built.
PR.34: Ultra-long-range reconnaissance variant, with bulged bombbay doors to accommodate bombbay fuel tanks, and fitted with Merlin 114 or 114A engines. 181 built
PR.35: 10 built
PR.40: 6 built
PR.41: 28 built

total: 796

found using Google [3.0] Hornet Sea Hornet / Variant Summary

From the same site (it's about the Mosquito btw)

[2.3] RECONNAISSANCE MOSQUITOS AT WAR
* If the Mosquito was having a hard time proving itself as a bomber, nobody had any misgivings over it as a reconnaissance aircraft. Number 1 PRU was finding itself much needed and correspondingly heavily taxed, and was effectively upgraded from a squadron to a wing in October 1942 by being split into five squadrons.

One of the squadrons, Number 540, was equipped with the Mosquito, which was preferred for long-range missions into hostile airspace over reconnaissance Spitfires, which simply didn't have the reach. The PR Mosquitos ranged all over Europe and returned with spectacular images that provided useful military intelligence as well as some propaganda value. Crisp photographs of major targets, such as the German battle cruiser GNIESENAU, were released to the press to demonstrate that the RAF could go where it chose with apparent impunity.

As the PR Mosquitos operated mostly by day and by themselves, they had the greatest need for speed and height, and were given priority for the Mosquitos with two-stage Merlins, beginning with the PR.VIII. They were reequipped with the improved machines through 1943, and the PR.Is and PR.IVs were all retired by October 1943.

A PR.VIII became the first Mosquito to photograph Berlin, on 8 March 1943. On 2 June 1943 a PR.VIII overflew the German technical research center at Peenemunde on the Baltic coast. Previous missions there had turned up nothing, but this flight brought back images of the new German "V-2" long-range ballistic missile. The installation was heavily bombed by the RAF in August.

The PR.IX's more powerful engines and greater fuel load were put to good use. During 1943, one made a "grand tour" of central Europe, flying out of RAF Benson and overflying Regensburg, Germany; Vienna, Austria; Budapest, Hungary; and Foggia, Italy, before landing in Catania, Sicily. The trip covered 3,060 kilometers (1,900 miles), took 6 hours 30 minutes flying time, with an average speed of 407 KPH (292 MPH). The Mosquito ran out of gas before it could taxi to its parking spot.

In the winter of 1943:1944, PRU Mosquitos began to reach for higher altitude in order to evade improved defenses. This led to the eight PR.IXs modified with uprated Merlins and four-bladed propellers, but the height and cold were hell on both crews and aircraft. The pressurized PR.XVI was designed in response, but various teething problems kept it out of service until May 1944.

The handful of long-winged PR.32s were up to the task, but by the time they got into service there wasn't much of a task left, at least in Europe. This was fortunate for the PRU, since by late 1944 the Mosquito was beginning to encounter the Messerschmitt Me-262 jet fighter, which could easily outrun even the quick Mosquito. Fortunately for the Allies, the Me-262 was too little and too late, with most of those produced usually grounded for lack of fuel.

Mosquitos were first sent to the Far East in the spring of 1943, performing reconnaissance sorties from Calcutta over Southeast Asia. The ultimate reconnaissance Mosquito, the PR.34, began flying out of the Cocos Islands, in the Indian Ocean south of Sumatra, in July 1944 to overfly Japanese installations in Southeast Asia.

Kris

BV 141 !

I know it was only a prototype and lost the bid with Fw189 mainly because it was looking too strange, but I love her exactly because of it.
Finally a bold design that maximize the design objectives (visibility and range) in spite of every conventional concept

I don`t think the poll is too good - it puts small observer planes, tactical fighter recces and big long range strategical recce planes in one basket to choose from.

Now, obviously an FR plane is not well suited to observe for artilerry, a bigger long range recce aircraft may be not too well suited to do quick, low-altitude sprints over enemy troops, probably bristling with quad .50s or 20mm Vierlings and so on... different roles, different planes.

I don`t think the poll is too good - it puts small observer planes, tactical fighter recces and big long range strategical recce planes in one basket to choose from.

Now, obviously an FR plane is not well suited to observe for artilerry, a bigger long range recce aircraft may be not too well suited to do quick, low-altitude sprints over enemy troops, probably bristling with quad .50s or 20mm Vierlings and so on... different roles, different planes.

I agree to an extent, but each had their own purpose, and could be tremendously effective within the parameters of what they were created for...So, the poll is acceptable.

While not being the most effective recon, earlier in WWII, Junkers produced the JU-86 P series which reached altitudes of 47,250 feet in trials and had plans to produce the R series which would give it an altitude of over 50,000 feet.
But I believe the R series was abandoned.
Who needs speed when you have altitude?

At the end of the war the Ar234.. for continuous service the Mosquito.. for the US a toss up between F-5 (P-38) and F-6 (P-51) because it was armed.

All had great speed, range and high ceiling making it difficult to stop any of them.

Another obscure fact about the Mossie is that it was the first choice for the 8th AF Scout mission a/c by father of Fighting Scouts, Budd Peaslee. It was too much in demand so he settled on the P-51 as the next best a/c for the role of Weather and Target Scout

I heard the Ki-46 Dinah was quite effective and fast as well

Great looking plane too. When I think "Japanese recon planes... I think of think of aircraft like the Emily and Mavis.. but your right..

There were also a couple of recon variants of the 262, but I don't know if either of them ever reached operational status; I'm sure they would've been better than the Ar 234 due to a slightly higher speed and better maneuverability.

me262A-1aU3_side.jpg

The Me 262A-1/U3 was an interim reconnaissance variant. The most distinguishing feature of this model are the bulges over the gun bay area which were necessary to provide clearance for the RB20/30 cameras mounted in the nose. An arrangement of one RB 20/20 and one RB 75/30 was also used.

A glass window located in the cockpit floor allowed the pilot to view what was being photographed. A few Me262A-1a/U3s were fitted with a single 30mm MK 108 cannon, but most were unarmed.

me262A-5_side.jpg

But you're forgetting range, one of the most important elements for reconaissance aircraft. The Ar 234 flew further than the Me 262, and both could carry extra fuel tanks. Also the Ar 234 pilot had a better downward view.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back