WWII Triple ace gone west (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Isalute him with valor may he forever soar in the heaven to protect our cournty he is a hero second to none

I was a member of General Grahams "Command Crew" from late 1970 to early 1972. I was stationed at Yokota AFB, Japan, and assigned housing at Tachikawa AS. However, I spent most of my free time living off base with my Japanese girlfriend, Ms. Kenoi Edo. Who came to the USA with me, in 1972.
The aircraft that General Graham had as his personal transport was a 1954 Douglas DC-6, or C-118 in VIP trim. The tail number was 0 33-297.
The aircraft was kept at hangar 5, on Yokota AFB. The Pilot was Col. ? "Snuffy" Smith.
These were the members of the Command Crew's maintenance team.
Team Leader; MSGT, Daniel J Foley
Asst Leader; SSGT Harry Seen
Crew: SGT Ralph Andree
SSGT Michael Dugan
SGT Claude Fujita
A1C Randy Koons
SGT Gregory Welch
It is my understanding, that the aircraft was decommissioned in 1973 or 74 and replaced with a jet aircraft, which would have meant that the former aircrew members would either have to cross train to jets, or be disbanded all together...I am surmising that the former reciprocating engine aircraft crew was disbanded, and absorbed into another squadron of mechanics somewhere else.
33-297 was a beautifully maintained aircraft, and was painted in a NON-UNIFORM color scheme. She was all white on top, and on the bottom with a broad, highly polished, mirror like sides offset by a black pinstriped gold leaf band.
She had her propellers polished to a mirror shine, with chrome spinners, and red,white, and blue tip colors. Her nose radar dome was all white as well.
She had white wheel rims, and silver gray landing gear. The landing gear doors were also highly polished. The engine nacelles were highly polished to a mirror reflection, with the very aft sections painted a very pale gray.
The markings on her forward sides read: U S AIR FORCE in white outlined in black. (not the standard USAF in bold Air Force Blue block letters )
On her tail was the light blue United Nations Emblem and a small USA flag on the horizontal stabilizer, plus tail number in black. There was also, a 5th Air Force logo on the tail.
She looked like no other USAF C-118, and created quite a stir where ever she went. She had some minor engine modifications, and was an extremely fast aircraft. She was also loud...with those 4× Pratt Whitney R-2800 CB17 "Double Wasp" radial engines @ 2,500+ hp with water injection each barking out of six inch diameter straight exhaust tubes. This particular aircraft had higher compression engines, which used 110-130 octane av-gas. She was running Hamilton Standard 43E60 "Hydromatic" constant speed props with autofeather and reverse thrust. It had been reported that on occasions, the pilot would open her up out over the Pacific Ocean, and run the air speed indicator needle to the bottom, flying at over 300+ mph...which is FAST for an airplane of this type.
The Cabin inside was very much like a modern day mobile home. It was very plush, and well appointed. Lots of couches, easy chairs, and small tables and lamps. ( all which were latched/secured down ) She was wood paneled in the bed rooms, of which there were two. The beds had Sky Blue bed spreads,with Dark Blue pillow cases that had red,white, and blue pin stripes on the end. The carpeting was a light blue, with dark blue borders. The galley was fairly standard. There was a top shelf liquor bar at the back of the aircraft as well just ahead of the lavatories.
Ahead in the crew quarters were six bunk beds, with curtains. The cockpit seats were upholstered in a special Sky Blue fabric with gray piping. The instrument panel was covered in a wood grain vinyl covering, with specially made labels that were chrome fascias with black lettering. It looked like a yacht dash...The crazy air crew even somehow pearled the various knobs in the cockpit. She looked like some sort of racing boat or hot rod...The cockpit was really beautifully customized. Even the overhead sound proof liner was a tuft and buttoned soft gray.
Everything about this aircraft was NON standard, and very much out of uniform code, for the US Air Force...but, this was what General Graham wanted, and it was what he got. Much to the chagrin of many other Base Commanders who happened to have either flown on 297, or saw it on their base...
Way up on top of the fuselage, where the radio antenna pylon was, was a painted Peanuts cartoon character of the sitting "SNOOPY", as the goggle,leather helmet, scarf wearing WW1 pilot! There were also clear plastic cutouts of him on each wingtip serving as navigation light indicators.
Just prior to my shipping out to come home and be discharged, the Official Inspector Generals from the Pentagon who directed all of the Air Force made a surprise visit to our base when the aircraft was away. This created sheer panic, because we had extra supplies of "unauthorized" things hidden and squirreled away in our hangar and on base in unused storage facilities. The Inspectors and their attachment, were fanning out, and poking into every nook and cranny. This surprise inspection was solely based on looking for "waste, fraud, and abuse" of government material. We had two extra engines that had been pirated from another base, and literally tons of extra other parts. ( we weren't ones to wait on the official procurement process and documentation...it took too long...so we were pirates. We were scroungers, and begged for things at other facilities, which we would usually barter for.) A case of Johnny Walker Black, a case of Marlboro's, and maybe something a little extra something that could be smoked and was illegal would do it.( very easy for us to get by the way ) The supply documents were then lost, and the thing in question disappeared...we'd load it up, and haul it away. The story of how we got the engines is a story in itself.
Anyway, we had to scramble to find half a dozen ton and a half step vans, which we got from Tachikawa, and then unloaded our hidden supply rooms, and drove the stuff off base to another place just before they closed the gates, and no longer allowed anyone on or off base. We made it by less than a 15 minute margin. We were lucky enough, that we were given a two hour warning from the control tower...before the Inspectors aircraft landed.
Luckily too, 33-297 was away in the Philippines, but she was due back any day. We were told that the INSPECTORS had a particular interest in seeing this aircraft up close. They inspected hangar 5 like a zealous gynecologist. They found nothing! Except an empty but very clean hangar...
They swept across the base like a plague of locusts, looking for any infraction they could find. I was one of them, that had the savy to beat it off base before they closed the base. Some of my other crew members didn't, because they decided to eat at the cafeteria, and got nailed.
The inspectors waited one extra day for our plane to return...for they heard it was coming home...finally there she was, making her approach, and then for some unknown reason, she made a touch and go landing and flew off into the wild blue yonder! Even we were wondering what the heck was going on?
Turned out, that the crew had been radioed what was waiting for them, and they aborted the homecoming, and beat it. Where they went for five days, I never found out. But, they came home long after the Inspectors had moved on to rip another base someplace else a new one. They were also very pissed off at the stunt that the crew of 33 297 had pulled off. All they got was a momentary glimpse of her...
They would come back periodically, and searched for our aircraft on and off for six months... and they never did catch up to her. Thanks to the quick thinking, and very gutsy "renegade" crew.
General Graham was told often that his aircraft wasn't to code...and he just ignored it! What a way to run a military outfit! LOL!
Oh yeah, one last thing. Being chosen to become a member of this crew was quite an honor. Usually, an assignment lasted one to 1 1/2 years if you were lucky. I was on it for almost two full years. Very lucky! It was also a considered by most everyone who knew about us, to be a gravy assignment.
Yeah, we worked hard repairing whatever broke down, and toiled to keep that aluminum bright and shiny...but when the General and his flight crew took off, we were off duty. There were times he'd be gone for three to four weeks...and so, we'd be off as well. We would have to call in in the AM, checking to make sure it wasn't coming home early, and then if the OK was given, nothing to do but sleep in with your honey, and then figure out what you wanted to do that day!...which usually was go riding around on our motorcycles, or share the day with my lady doing something.
The Command Crew members were known as the "Untouchables". We never were made to do make work projects or off hour details. We were also the only enlisted Air Force members who wore official United Nation Patches on our uniforms, and the COMMAND CREW tag above our shirt pocket, instead of US AIR FORCE, which was uniformly issued. We also wore deck style shoes with fatigues...not combat boots. We were allowed to wear mirrored Mac Author style sun glasses. ( something that was basically not allowed by anyone else ) Did we have attitudes? You bet!
Prior to being discharged from the Air Force, I had amassed over 90 days of leave time. I never needed to take one...considering all the time I was off any way. So, I took a 30 day leave in Japan and got married...and then processed out...and received two months pay plus Per Diem on the day I got out. Not bad at all.

DC-6_G-APSA.jpg

This isn't General Grahams C-118 33 297. This is another "uglier" aircraft of the same make. This gives you an idea of what one of these birds looks like in the air. They can be real pretty. This particular bird, is rather dull looking.

I wish this old pilot well in the welkin of heaven!

Great account there CC, and a beaut aircraft. I remember them (just!) at my local airport when I was a kid. Sounds like Gen. Graham was a real 'character' - good for him! May he now rest in peace.

:salute:

Academy's 1/72 P-51D has markings for WR-F 'Down for double'

There were actually two slightly different paint schemes for WR-F "Down for Double" - the first was inherited from WR-S Sunny VII when Everett Stewart transferred command of the 355th FG to Clay Kinnard, and the second (and final) after the first one was lost with George Kemper about a month later.

Attachments

• 354 CO Gordon 'Ace' Graham [marshall].jpg
    354 CO Gordon 'Ace' Graham [marshall].jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 354 WRF_ Down For Double_Graham_414275_oct1944 [graham].jpg
    354 WRF_ Down For Double_Graham_414275_oct1944 [graham].jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 355fg WRSbar_Stewart and crew_415255 [morris].jpg
    355fg WRSbar_Stewart and crew_415255 [morris].jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 49
Great info mate, thanks!
Academy 'tried to' emulate the top version, and the box art is painted correctly as such, but the decals themselves are wide of the mark. Can be converted though...

Great info mate, thanks!
Academy 'tried to' emulate the top version, and the box art is painted correctly as such, but the decals themselves are wide of the mark. Can be converted though...

here is a full color shot of final Down for Double

Attachments

• 354 Graham3.jpg
    354 Graham3.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back