WWII Weapon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
While still employed with North Central Airlines one of my assignments was to take two of our Board of Directors out for dinner the evening before the meeting. One of the two was former Senator from South Dakota, Chan Gurney. He served on the Senate Armed Forces Committee during WWII and shared a number of interesting stories during our meetings this being one. The Senator received information on a new weapon that looked promising. However, he being a Dove, didn't feel he could sponsor it's presentation at a meeting of the committee so handed it off to another member who would. The presentation was made, approved and sent to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds for development and testing. The weapon was the famous "Bazooka".

Good story. The "Dove" part set me back a little. I knew there were Conscientious Objectors but I would never have guessed they were part of the government.
The Senator didn't feel he could present the suggested weapon but did support it's development. It was a political move.

What was that movie last year, about the conscientious objector who became a medic, then a hero, saving many lives? There were a small, but dedicated number of individuals who had to find ways to support the country without being personally violent or advocating violence.

Who knows, the senator may have believed that if he advocated for the weapon, with his known preferences, the majority of the committee may not have taken it seriously. In that case we would have lost a weapon and a bubble gum.

What was that movie last year, about the conscientious objector who became a medic, then a hero, saving many lives? There were a small, but dedicated number of individuals who had to find ways to support the country without being personally violent or advocating violence.

Who knows, the senator may have believed that if he advocated for the weapon, with his known preferences, the majority of the committee may not have taken it seriously. In that case we would have lost a weapon and a bubble gum.
At the time most Republicans were "Doves" so it really didn't have anything to do with conscientious objector, It was political terminology. The Democrats were "Hawks".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back