Yak-9 vs P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My long time friend, now deceased, told of a neighbor's son who flew P-51s in WW2. During the post war problems the corridor to Berlin was patrolled by a pair of P-51s as well as Yak-9s on the Russian side of the corridor. The story says one day one of the Yaks eased over behind a 51 and shot it down. I have no way to verify, as the parents were notified it was an accident, however a visit by a squadron mate a few years later lead to this story. The dead man's last name was Petrie. Those with skills and ability on the forum may be able to verify or debunk.

My long time friend, now deceased, told of a neighbor's son who flew P-51s in WW2. During the post war problems the corridor to Berlin was patrolled by a pair of P-51s as well as Yak-9s on the Russian side of the corridor. The story says one day one of the Yaks eased over behind a 51 and shot it down. I have no way to verify, as the parents were notified it was an accident, however a visit by a squadron mate a few years later lead to this story. The dead man's last name was Petrie. Those with skills and ability on the forum may be able to verify or debunk.
interesting

there might be a pobability that it diddnt shot it down

Has a soviet yak-9 ever shot down an P-51D?
Some relevant threads to get you started

Some relevant threads to get you started

thanks

What was the height of yak-9 general in a mission in support?
Those p-51 were not flown by newbies comming in low. They had an umbrella above.
Sure it could have happened but is somewhat off.

I do think soviet pilots would have been as suprised as the eastern front flying germans were about allied tactics. Their normal ways would not work as well.

Bud Anderson of course had a lot of combat experience with the P-51 in WWII. After the war he flew a captured Yak-9 at Wright Field and was fairly impressed with the airplane. Then one day he had a cross-county trip and climbed in a P-51. Taxiing out, it suddenly hit him how crude the Yak-9 was in comparison, like climbing into a Cadillac after driving a Model T.

I also read where a Douglas B-26 was over the ocean one day off the coast of North Korea and they spotted a large formation of North Korean Yak-9's, apparently on a formation flight training mission. The B-26 pilot decided that he wanted to nail a few Yak-9's and they crept up behind the formation into the low 6 position as the Bomb/Nav watched with concern from his nose position. Then suddenly the Yaks spotted the B-26 and broke in every possible direction. I think that sneaking up behind 30 plus fighters with a B-26 in broad daylight is a very questionable practice.

The aircraft shot down by F-82's at the beginning of the Korean War may have been Yak-11's and Yak-9's but it seems more likely that the two seaters were Yak-7's.
F-82_0001.jpg

My favorite artwork of a Yak.

View attachment 716760
I had the very distinct pleasure of growing up not too far from the Champlin Fighter Museum where the original of this painting, and many others, was displayed. This one was always one of my favorites as well and the original is simply fantastic. Does anyone know where all the ex-Champlin paintings ended up? Did they go to Seattle along with the airplanes? For that matter what of the American Fighter Aces Association items, did all that go to Seattle as well?

I had the very distinct pleasure of growing up not too far from the Champlin Fighter Museum where the original of this painting, and many others, was displayed. This one was always one of my favorites as well and the original is simply fantastic. Does anyone know where all the ex-Champlin paintings ended up? Did they go to Seattle along with the airplanes? For that matter what of the American Fighter Aces Association items, did all that go to Seattle as well?
Chad- you should ask Barrett Tillman

i have never heard an incident about p-51s during berlin corridor shootdown incidents

The painting of the Yak getting chewed up by a P-38 was done by Tony Wedell. I don't know where the original wound up, but Roy Grinnell is the artist who painted dozens of pieces for the American Fighter Aces Association. That collection is now at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, and a number of the originals are on display there.

Can you guys confirm this kil

P-51D-25 44-73280
10/29/1950: Shot down by a Yak over Korea

19-OCT-1950North American F-51D Mustang44-73280United States Air Force (USAF)8 Mi NW K-13 Suwon AB
HL.gif
w/oNarrative:
Belly landing.
Gear-up landing Incident North American F-51D Mustang 44-73280, 19 Oct 1950

Doesn't seem combat-related, only 8 nautical miles from base (unless it was damaged and trying to make it back and couldn't).

Suwon is 122 nautical miles from Pyongyang - which is where the front line was at the time of the above listed event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back