YB-40

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Plan_D, yes the AC-47 was a gunsip, but for air-to-ground support missions. While the C-47 is a WWII vintage aircraft, the AC-47 didn't first fly until 1964. It carried a crew of 7. 53 of these were made. As a side note on the AC-47, the lowest ranking Air Force member to receive the Congressional Medal of Honor was on the crew of one of these when he earned the medal. A1C John L. Levitow grabbed a lit flare, hugged it to his body and threw it from the door to keep it from igniting the ammo on board. The story of that incident is quite fascinating. John Levitow passed away a couple of years ago, but he was an inspiration for those that followed his lead.

Yes, I knew that evan. It was a mild joke, trying to get some foolish response from someone thinking it was actually used in World War 2. Oh, how I love the AC-130 'Spectre'

Yes, and it would have worked too if it wasn't for those pesky kids...or evan, I'll blame it on evan.

Sorry, sometimes being a stickler for details has it's pitfalls, especially when humor is involved!

The AC-130 kicks ASS too. I got to see one on a live fire "exercise" years ago in an undisclosed country. Believe me, you don't want to be on the business end of that. I just remembed the FAC (Forward Air Controller) saying "Lead Rain, Lamar, Lead f*cking rain!" It's actually a quote from some movie, but I don't remember which. But that probably describes it best.

Yeah, les posted a film of the gunners in a Spectre. Those things are mean...ripping up anything they see. That should be the symbol of sheer force of the US. Surely, I'd rather have that as my symbol..than...well, anything.

Speaking of special B-17's...

If you happen to be a Bond film aficionado, you'll recognize this system...

art77_03.jpg

art77_04.jpg

Can anyone else find other (preferably large) pics of the "Skyhook," B-17 seen in the final sequence of Thunderball?

Yes, Thunderball is the same movie with the hijacked vulcan and two-part hydrofoil... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back