Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosquito

• IL 2

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My favorite attack plane would have to be the Hs-129. Yes it was very underpowered but you give it some DB's or some Jumos as someone else stated and she wuold have been awesome! I also really like the P-47 and the Fw-190F.

just do not forget the 10th Pz staffeln of several SG's on the Ost front euipped with the Ju 87G-1 still operable and destroying Soviet armor, something the A-20 did not acheive or any other craft for that matter on a consistant basis. I still go back and refer the D-3 and D-5 varinats in the night skies giving Patton and the Allies so much teething troubles.

From one of Nick Beales articles ....

Attachments

• nsgr_1_-_5_439.jpg
    nsgr_1_-_5_439.jpg
    566.6 KB · Views: 255
The stuka was an impressive aircraft indeed, but i think id much rather fly the Hs-123 in the attack role. It's engine noise alone sounded like a machine gun supposedly, and was enough to scatter polish and russian soldiers. With its two nose mounted light machine guns, mg17s, and iron bombs, cluster bombs or 20mm underwing guns was very effective. As late as 1943 there were calls to reinstate production. The Hs-129, i love that sinister looking thing. With big cannon mounted optionally, 20mm and machine guns in the nose, and that sinister, evil looking armoured fueslage. With some more powerful engines it could have been a superb aircraft, DB-605 or -603, or a jumo-222 would have turned a good, underpowered aircraft into potentially the most capable aircraft out there for the job at the time.

Agreed Les however some such as the Typhoon, Fw-190F and the P-47 were harder to shoot down because they were fighters also. I would prefer to fly those.

Dive bombing definitly, the Stuka was excellent at that.. I was also playing Fighter Ace 2, and I'm a huge fan of the IL-2. Dive bomb, then unload the rockets, then make strafing passes until the AA starts tearing you up. Of course.. 3/4 of all my runs on that ended up getting me shot down.. so I wouldn't recommend strafing a TON heehee.

The B-25 of course was an excellent bomber, and great for attack, but a bit heavier. I like something where you can get away fast after unloading your stuff, like a good fighter-bomber.

the Ju 87D's were moved over to the NSG's for the prime reason of low speed characteristics and the ease of blasting them by soviet AAA. The Soviet a/c were not much of a threat it appears to the SG's on the Ost front. AAA was the biggest problems and just plain stupid accidents. the Fw 190 with cannons and panzerblitz rockets could aslo serve in the fighter capacity which the Stuka could not. US and RAF Mossie's had a problem with slowing down to almost a stall to hit the Ju 87 at night, the Ju's platform had been proven with early war triumphs in the dive bombing role and they were used again as harrassement a/c over the Allied front lines, flying usually in threes and then banking over and plowing up forward positions in in the spring of 45 on the west front with almost the nightly haze of burning fires the NSG Ju's could escape

Well if the best attack craft nowadays (in my opinion) is the A-10, then I suppose sensibly it's father the P-47 would be the best attack craft in its day.
If loaded right it could make for a good tank buster right?

You are correct in saying that it would make a pretty fine tank buster. I would not say though that it was the best tank buster. There were other aircraft that were just as effective at busting tanks or even better at busting tanks. The P-47 in my opinion though is the best fighter bomber or atleast tied with the Fw-190F-8.

I have a question: Could the P-38L or P-47D be classified as Attack aircraft? Because if you think about, they could carry heavy bomb loads, rockets, and were being used in European Theater as Low flying Air Supporters for troops calling in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back