Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosquito

• IL 2

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I disagree with you on the JU-87. It just didn't have the survivability of the fighter-bombers. It was shot out of the skies of England and they tried to operate them at night in Russia. Doesn't sound like I plane I would want to fly in.

I agree the JU-87 had an influence during 1940 and the Russian campaign,
but it was quickly obsolete.

I am at a cross between the IL-2 sturmovik and the Typhoon.

Ju 87 obsolete ? hardly not with the 10th Panzerstaffels running around destroying T-34's and Stalin's on the Ost front well into 1945. The NSG's fitted with D-3's and D-5's were a thorn in the side of the Allied ground troops flesh as they progressed into the Reich. so much so that Patton insisted the US P-61 squadrons 422nd and 425th do all they could to bring them down and clear the front lines of communication

ask the poles french belgians dutch greeks yugoslavians and russians i think the ju87 was something they remember its a ground attack aircraft top cover was some elses job

book1182 said:
Let's get back to the aircraft. No body has said anything about the FW-190F. I think this was the ground attack version of a the very successful fighter. I would have loved to been in one of those. It would have to be up there with the Typhoon in the category of aircraft that could also dog fight.

What do you all think?

I did mention the 190F, but it got lost in other debates.

"Fw 190F series: As much as 1,800 kilos, or one 1,000 kilo and four 50 kilo bombs on wing racks. Could also carry air-to-ground rockets."

My regards,

Navair

The Spitfire F.XII was also a neat little performer down low, to put it lightly. Surely there were some earlier Fw-190s in service during 1944-1945? A-4s, A-5s, A-6s or even a few A-9s?

Erich said:
Ju 87 obsolete ? hardly not with the 10th Panzerstaffels running around destroying T-34's and Stalin's on the Ost front well into 1945. The NSG's fitted with D-3's and D-5's were a thorn in the side of the Allied ground troops flesh as they progressed into the Reich. so much so that Patton insisted the US P-61 squadrons 422nd and 425th do all they could to bring them down and clear the front lines of communication

I agree. The JU-87 was not obselete. It just couldnt defend itself against more superior aircraft. The JU-87 was the ultimate aircraft of choice during the Blitzkrieg of 1939-1942. Feared by the sirens it made while diving and would definetly blow the hell out of a tank especially those in the Eastern Front.

Les, I would agree with you on the niche role.

However, to be fair, for the years 1938-1940, it was a good airplane. After that, it had better fly when no enemy fighters were near by.

i thought we'd eliminated fighter-bombers from this thread on account of the fact they're not dedicated attack aircraft??

and nice video too les.......

plan_D said:
The Spitfire F.XII was also a neat little performer down low, to put it lightly. Surely there were some earlier Fw-190s in service during 1944-1945? A-4s, A-5s, A-6s or even a few A-9s?

The Mk.XII was quite the low-level monster....

41SpitXIIFlight.jpg

My regards,

Navair

Ok, Im going for broke and saying the A20 Havoc was the best all around attack plane of WW2.

The Stuka, as usefull it might have been, didnt come to compare to the A20.

The B25 and A26 were more in the genre of Medium bombers.

Oh, NAVAIR, I like you again... but I'm still drunk from last night...but the XIIs....lovely...and, yes, they were monsters down low.

In my opinion, the Ju-87 was a great attack aircraft. Even in the odds of being shot down by fighters, it was a Tank's worst enemy.

I voted for the B-25 Mitchelle for my favorite. Which could carry a 75mm that could tear up anything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back