Your favorite Non-Spitfire British fighter?

Your favorite non-Spitfire British fighter? (WWII)

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo

Senior Airman
Jul 18, 2008
South Carolina
A lot of us would have to say the Spitfire is our favorite WWII fighter from the UK, and if I made a poll with it in there, it would get most of the votes, so I'm leaving it out. Your favorite Non-Spitfire British fighter????

Same here. The Hurricane is one one of my favorites. It did well in BOB against the superior Me 109 Emil. And also in China against the Japanese 77th Sentai.

Hurrie for me also it did the majority of the work during the BOB and claimed its fair share of 109 kills as well as taking on the bombers yet being a more mundain looking workhorse never recieved the same acolades as the more glamourous Spites

Agreed Adler.

I don't understand why the Spitfire gets all the credit in the BoB. Is it kind of like the B-17 gets the credit while the B-24 did more work and dropped more bombs? Or was it because the Spitfire was truly better than the "Emil" while the Hurricane was just it's equal?

Agreed Adler.

I don't understand why the Spitfire gets all the credit in the BoB. Is it kind of like the B-17 gets the credit while the B-24 did more work and dropped more bombs? Or was it because the Spitfire was truly better than the "Emil" while the Hurricane was just it's equal?

The Spitfire was unquestionably a prettier plane than the Hurricane. As the war progressed, later models of the Spitfire and Bf-109 far surpassed the Hurricane in performance, although in 1940 the difference was not nearly so pronounced. As for the B-17 vs. B-24, I think the B-17's popularity was partly its looks, plus the fact that although on paper the B-24 was more advanced, in real combat the B-17 was a more survivable plane; it took battle damage better, and because of its wing design it landed wheels up better. (Because of the B-24's high wing, when it crashlanded it often broke apart.)

I vote for the tempest in homage to the Grand Charles.

Attachments

• closter21.gif
    closter21.gif
    44.7 KB · Views: 164
It was a hard choice between the Hurricane and the Tempest, but I chose the latter.
But could someone, please explain what a Torpedo-Strike-Reconnaissance three-seat biplane aircraft is doing in a 'Fighter' poll!!??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back