ZERO - The Freeze Alternative - an A6M2b

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ralph Haus

Tech Sergeant
Jul 24, 2016
Leander Texas
It has been miserable to say the least. Today we MAY make it above freezing for the first time in 10 days? The roads MAY become derivable again? So, not being able to travel and pick up my GB-49 paints, to make progress on that build, I had to do something. Dust on the shelf was less on this one, only a year or so of accumulation, and the Zero just fit the times.

A6N2b Zero Box Art.jpg

An early look at the build. I'm not sure of the color I have used for the internal metals, I have the transparent blue (Tamiya X-13) but not the transparent green (Tamiya X-25), so I tried to improvise with using the gloss green (X-5). Not much of this color area is showing so I suppose it will just have to do. AND, I should have airbrushed it as well. Just to lazy to clean the brush again today I guess.

Zero A6M2b build.jpg

The instrument pane worked out well (in my opinion, still perfecting decal applications to these kinds of profiles).

A6M2b Instrument.jpg

I think I may have to apply some more Mark Fit Strong, but I doubt this detail will be seen when the canopy is installed?

Good stuff Ralph. Can you edit your post to show the needed info at the top please.

Sorry! This was not intended to be another entry into GB-49. It was a tounge-n-cheek post to complain about NOT being able to work on my GB-49 Bf109. Thus the initial post in the modeling section. Should I edit the title to eliminate any confusion, delete GB or spell out 'great-build' instead of GB?

So ... are you going to continue the assembling of the Zero fighter but not as the GB49 entry, right?

So ... are you going to continue the assembling but not as the GB49 entry, right?

Yes! And this is NOT for the GB-49....The Bf109 GB-49 is in limbo.

I'm just shut down for the lack of the blasted Bf109 paints. I could have used the 'close' Tamiya colors that I do have, but in keeping with the the GB spirit I wanted to 'try' and be as accurate as possible. After a week of watching my trees lose their limbs due to ice build up, I had to do something to lift the spirits. Not lifting spirits. That only occurs after I am done on the bench. Sorry for the confusion and causing such a issue.

So, do you want me to modify the title to eliminate any confusion?

And by the way. This Zero kit has some of the tiniest parts that I have ever encountered on a 1/72 build. Glad I recently bought new Tamiya tweezers.

Ok. Please edit the thread title. I have already moved it to the Start to Finish Builds sub-section

Well, here are couple of things that might help. This is an A6M3

View attachment 613292View attachment 613293

Wow. Thanks for the detail. If I were to build a 1:32nd or (if there are any) a 1:24th of this model these would be invaluable, detail wise. I'm going to pass on 'improving' my cockpit panels though. As I mentioned earlier, the canopy is just not large, or clear, enough to expend any more time on mine. I know, I know, it's 'knowing' that it's in there, but.....

The wood and using wood screws on the canopy slide is interesting though. Hope there weren't any major water leaks!

Here are two of the more interesting A6M2 shots I have seen. Good pictures of them seem to be rare compared to the much more numerous A6M5.

Showing the colors that I am going to try for. Thanks.

I'll not have the folded wing tips though!!

Nice looking interior detail. Maybe a dry wash would bring out detail on the interior green areas?

Good point. I suppose I should do the semi-gloss coating now instead of later and then use some of the Gray/Brown/Black panel accent colors that I have OR just really thin down some (I think) dark brown and brush it on?
From the photos I've seen, knobs on the left were black

Ahhh! Easy fix at this stage. Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
This particular kit has an option for full canopy of open center. I'm going to use the open center option, so all is not completely lost.

canopy option.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Thanks for the detail. If I were to build a 1:32nd or (if there are any) a 1:24th of this model these would be invaluable, detail wise. I'm going to pass on 'improving' my cockpit panels though. As I mentioned earlier, the canopy is just not large, or clear, enough to expend any more time on mine. I know, I know, it's 'knowing' that it's in there, but.....

The wood and using wood screws on the canopy slide is interesting though. Hope there weren't any major water leaks!
Revell had a 1/32 A6M-5 Smithsonian series model. I just happen to have that one here somewhere never opened. Now I need to dig it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back