1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!!

I went looking on page 3,4,5 for the topic as it had been a while..couldn't find it...only for it to turn up on page 1. Thanks a heap for the interest, it is appreciated.

At long last (and with the arrival of the ABU 11/A clock) I have had a chance to cut the last of the instrument cutouts and finish off the panel.

I can tell you, as the hours built and the number of holes increased, I became more nervous that I would *^^ something up on the next hole and ruin the panel! But we came through unscathed in the end.

Here is the raw panel ready for painting:

IMG_3808.gif

The spray painting went OK, but spray cans are not as reliable as they could be so the finish is not perfect..but good enough for a rushed wartime factory job I think.

I let it dry for twenty four hours and then fitted all the instruments, switches and additions.

I am very pleased with the results but unfortunately the nightime photos with a flash wash out the panel and don't really do it justice. I'll try to get some better ones up soon.

Next I will finish fitting the controls to the shell and build the seat over the next couple of weeks. Not a bad weekend's work!!

IMG_3810.gif

IMG_3811.gif

IMG_3826.gif

IMG_3814.gif

IMG_3825.gif

IMG_3822.gif

IMG_3816.gif

IMG_3824.gif

IMG_3821.gif

I will take some more photos in daylight, the flash really does not do justice to the panel!!

Thanks for the encouragement and sorry I haven't hads more time lately to hang around here! I see some brilliant work going on and must find some time to post on some of your project threads.

regards

Darryl

Thanks once again Heines, for your constant encouragement!

Ok,

Couldn't leave it alone, some more progress in a short time tonight.

The updated photos in better light conditions:

IMG_3843.gif

IMG_3842-Copy.gif

IMG_3841.gif

IMG_3845-Copy.gif

IMG_3846.gif

IMG_3847.gif

The Trim unit I built (with a real P51 Rudder Trim and Gwyn's fabricated Trim wheel), the two switches at the bottom are for Camera Power and Pitot Heat. The "tracks" are to run the chains back from the Elevator Trim wheel to a dummy set of push/pull rods.

Next to it is Gwyn's shameless attempt at making me look REALLY bad..his beautiful throttle Unit!

IMG_3853.gif

"The Office"

The real thing:

IMG_0090_12_1.gif

448762773_0399812d86.gif

The sim so far

IMG_3854.gif

IMG_3849.gif

IMG_3850.gif

My favourite shot of the whole thing so far...the view from the throne:

IMG_3814-Copy.gif

I am actually starting to think I may finish this......

Darryl

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!

Terry, you would be most welcome...and if you ever do drift to the Antipodes I will be most offended if you don't look me up.

I must say that now I have test fit the controls and panel I am VERY impatient to see it progress. The last couple of potentiometres should arrive in a week or two and that will make it flyable at least..which will be fun. I have also organised for Gwyn to make me the fuel selector and De-icing taps and I will make the Fuel on/off unit.

Anyway, I'll post more progress soon hopefully.

Darryl

Tony, The works you have done in recreating the Spitfire cockpit is first class.

My works are a bit less ambitious, I'm building a couple of instrument panels for a MkII and MkXIV but can't find a manufacture drg for the Blind Flying Panels do you have anything you could share? Regards H

Harvey,

I have some BFP drawings that were generated from factory drawings. I don't have any dimentional factory drawings, but I was able to make some fairly accurate guesstamates by tracing and scaling to known entities. Everything I've done is an old design CAD program, so I'm not sure what I can do for you other than a hard copy. Let me know if I can help.
Nate

Thanks Gents,

Harvey, PM on the way.

A week ago I did all the cockpit placards etc with Chris and his laser....they look a million dollars.

Another hard weekend's graft and I have the controls fixed in place, the Gunsight holder frame attached and the fuel on/off lever made. The face plate for the lever will have to wait a bit.

The seat base is also planned and materials bought, waiting for next weekend.

I have now found that the upper structure is not sturdy enough to take the "handholds" for getting in and out and that no floor is problematic...as there is nowhere to step other than on the rudder bars which are not strong enough. Consequently some stiffening needs to be done and the "plumbing" covers next to the rudder bars will actually be built strong enough to be steps. Getting in and out is still going to be a bit of a challenge but once the seat is in I will be able to work out a method.

I did mock up a small seat just to test eye levels etc... (and to sit in the cockpit making Merlin noises for a while ...but I'm keeping THAT to myself). To sit behind the gunsight is amazing and gives a new perspective on how small a place the cockpit is. Also some "dry" start up drills prove just how many hands you need to start a Spitfire.

More pictures soon and they should be quite a changed look. Much more of an idea how the final product will look now.

Soon.............

Darryl

Sounds like good progress Darryl. I was wondering about access and exit, as the real thing is a bit tricky, knowing where, and where NOT to put your feet! Stand on the seat and slide down mate - much easier!!

hi

Excuse me for my bad english :oops:

I m french and i try to rebuilt a cockpit spitfire like tony. I have a lot of drawing factory if you want ?

Some picture of my job

Attachments

• spit 2.JPG
    spit 2.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 210
  • Copie de DSC00008.JPG
    Copie de DSC00008.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 203
i ll try again about pictures :cry:

no i can t .. invalid post ???

Attachments

• Copie de DSC00008.JPG
    Copie de DSC00008.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 197
  • spit 2.JPG
    spit 2.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 202
DDTFOX

Great work on the aluinium frame..I wish I had your talent,!!! Keep usposted on your progress. Also, you may want to do some research on real gauges and radioactivity. Just to keep yourself informed and make decissions accordingly.

I have about 3000 GA's, so it looks like we probably ahve the same set of drawings. If there is anything missing that you need, give me a yell.

Terry,

Yes, I have stood on the outside of the Mk22 Spitfire and contemplated climbing in....it doesn't look easy. Sliding down the seat is obviously the go but I will have to strengthen some stategic points on the framework for holding whilst you do that. The plumbing covers will be more useful for pushing up to get out by getting your feet up onto the seat. It is more a problem when instructing others on getting in an out. I can get a hoist for you Old Timer visitors given enough notice :lol:

I have some gymnastic experience from climbing in and out of the F-16..also not easy..but looks easier than this one. Ah, the joys of it all. Much easier if I could build the hood frame tough enough to hold as you slip into the seat.

I'm starting to have to contemplate all these little things that become apparent once it starts to come together.

Pictures soon.

Darryl

Darryl, thats coming really well mate, I'm rather envious that you're at that point just about where you can go and 'fly' your own Spittie.

DDTFOX, you should start a seperate thread and show us your build pictures of your spifire as well. Looks a very nice job you have done so far. Is it a MK5 high back ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back