1:1 Spitfire K9817 Cockpit Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice stuff Darryl.....the rudder trim wheel looks frighteningly like one of my resin Mustang ones?!

Terry,

I know….and it is frustrating me now it is so close. I only ever built 1 1/48 scale, a P-51, years ago. But it took me an age.
If I ever stop turning simple wooden radiator shutter handles into metal engineering problems, the work may go faster. :oops:

Nice stuff Darryl.....the rudder trim wheel looks frighteningly like one of my resin Mustang ones?!

Tony,

Then I'd suggest your resin replicas look frighteningly like the real thing 8)

I might have to talk to you about a Spitfire rudder trim with a 1/4" shaft hole.

Glenn, sorry I totally missed your question mate!!

The material is Polyethelene sheeting, 1.5mm thick and apparently a $$#$% to get painted. The primer is twice the cost of primer for polypropalene. It will be tacked and glued securely onto the fuselage frames. The Spitfire design is Monocoque..which cuts both ways, teh frames will be strengthened by the skin but will also provide extra strength to the skin.

Sorry again for the late answer

Darryl:

I think I've decided to go with aluminum for mine. sounds like it will take paint easier and I'll only have to do the inside and leave the outside bare. Only problem is I don't have a clue how thick the skin on a 47 is. :confused:

Yes, but neither do you have to pull 6g in it. I would think a nice thin ali that will bend easy is the go. My main problem was that there is no interior skin or floor in the spitfiso all the rivets need to be solid (can't use blind rivets. And that meant cost, learning curve, time and frustration...also vulnerable to dents etc in the tight climb in climb out space I will have.

Maybe someday........

The final test fit before pulling all the non essential stuff out and skinning the outside. Then on to painting next weekend. Pictures:
The front frame of the canopy section covering the accumulator and radios is where the sim ends at the back. I have now made this canopy frame from alu. In it the circular button at the top is for "canopy open/close" in FSX. This positioning means that to open or close the canopy you need to bring your hand up and over your head just as in the real thing. Hopefully a nice extra little touch of immersion.
IMG_3931.gif

The sutton Harness is just draped over the seat for this tes fit. It will be installed tomorrow or Wed night.
IMG_3932.gif

IMG_3924.gif

The view behind the panel.
IMG_3930.gif

The engine instruments and fuel controls. It has never struck me until now how logically and conveniently placed all of these are, I have read criticisms of teh layout before today...can't understand them now. Just out of frame to the left of the Kygas is the main fuelcock.
IMG_3938.gif

The "six pack"
IMG_3935.gif

The other side.
IMG_3940.gif

The Full monty.
IMG_3942.gif

IMG_3934.gif

IMG_3933.gif

IMG_3927.gif

IMG_3921.gif

IMG_3920.gif

I am so close now, I can smell it!!

Wow, that is amazing. Looks like a photo from a spitfire in a museum. Can't wait to see it finished which sounds like it might be your next post! Great work.

-Chris

Gnomey. Thak you. Winston would be suitablely chuffed I think.

Terry, sounds good. I like the idea but SWMBO may not take quite so kindly. Still, once installed, not much she could do about it.

Chris, thanks mate, not quite the "next post" unfortunately but I think "you can see it from there".

A 14 hour day just finished doing the final skinning, making some extra frames for the skin to attach (damn, I was sure the original design was framed enough!!) and fitting the Sutton Harness. Time for bed!

And one more thought...teh Tactical Airforce seems to have flown armed, camo'd Spitfires..so I am leaning towards the classic green brown early camo for the outside paint job.

No pictures tonight but by tomorrow....

Last edited:
Sounds great Darryl! Cant wait to see it with the skin on, I'm the one thats jealous. I like the idea of the camo colors, some how a spit doesn't look quite right without camo.(unless its a FAA Seafire:lol:)

Post some pictures!!:D:D

Sounds good Darryl. By the time the TAF was formed, the cammo would more than likely be Dark Green/Ocean Grey uppers, Medium Sea Grey undesides. Let me know what Mark and period you settle on, and I'll get some info etc to you.
Of course, by mid to late 1944, some standard MkIX's were also converted to the Tac Recce role, in camouflage colours, in addition to the Pink FRIX's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back