1/16th scale Tiger 1 Ausf. E.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Glenn, glad you like it.
I'm quite enjoying having this diversion from the usual aircraft subjects, although I really mean it when I say it's tiring working on it - it's so big, and heavy, my arms really do ache when I've finished a session with it !

As I got up early this morning, I decided to have a short tinker before working on the camper van, which inevitably lead to doing 'just that bit more'.
Got the turret numbers, crosses and the Divisional and arm of service insignia done, although they're far from perfect. However, once 'toned down' with a coat of 'dust', plus dirt, stains and general weathering, they should be acceptable enough, bearing in mind that, if painted 'in the field', numbers in particular were not always pristine examples of the sign writer's art !
That said, I've since discovered a couple of photos of the actual subject, and the turret numbers were somewhat neater than on my model !
The pics below show the sequence of painting the numbers, divided between two posts due to the forum limit for photos.

PICS 1 to 5. For the turret side numbers, a stencil was made to act as a guide for the rough outline and alignment, using the wider 'Kamoi' type tape from Tamiya. First, the numbers were hand-drawn on the tape. These were then cut out, using a new blade in the scalpel, and the tape was then attached to the turret. Because of the contours, as well as the 'zimmerit' and the dome of the pistol port, I knew it would be impossible to get a perfect alignment, but I was only aiming for a rough guide.
With the tape in position as best as possible, the numbers were painted in red enamel, and the tape removed, leaving the rough outline of the numbers. These were then re-touched as required to correct the basic shapes, again as best as possible given the rough and uneven surface, and allowed to thoroughly dry before attempting the white outlines, shown later.
PIC 6. The smaller numbers on the rear of the turret storage bin came form 1/48th scale Luftwaffe red number decals, but when they settled, due to the colours underneath, they appeared more brown than red !
PIC 7. The decals were over-painted in matt red, and allowed to dry before adding the white outlines. Somewhat rough, as it was extremely difficult to hold the fine lining brush at the required angle, having to work over the edge of the hull, with the model raised and balanced on a small box to aid access. I'll admit that my hands and wrists were aching and painful by this stage, and although again the numbers may be passable under a coat of dust and grime, I'm going to try to improve their appearance, if only slightly, when my hands are working properly !

Next sequence is shown in the next post.

Tiger mods 117.JPG
Tiger mods 118.JPG
Tiger mods 119.JPG
Tiger mods 120.JPG
Tiger mods 121.JPG
Tiger mods 127.JPG
Tiger mods 163.JPG

Whilst waiting for the numbers to dry, attention was turned to the hull Balkenkreuz, using the 1/48th scale Luftwaffe decals which had now been given a clear coat to hopefully prevent them breaking up, as in the previous attempt. If this didn't work, then I knew I'd have to make a similar stencil mask as used for the numbers, and hand-paint the crosses.
Fortunately, the decals worked, after a fashion, and I was able to move on to painting the Divisional and arm markings, before completing work on the numbers.

PIC 1
Shows one of the crosses, which has bedded-down reasonably well over the 'zimmerit', which had already been given a gloss clear coat in this small area. Once fully set, the decals will receive a matt clear coat to hopefully seal them, and then I'll paint over them in black and white, to ensure the crosses remain in place, as there are signs of cracks appearing, with a possibility that, if not attended to, they'll eventually fall apart !
PICS 2 and 3. Side views showing the completed turret numbers and hull crosses. As previously mentioned, the numbers are far from perfect, but passable enough, especially after they get a coat of dust and grime, and I'm happy enough with them. Incidentally, the number sequence is as follows :- 2 = Second Kompanie. 1 = 1st Zug (Platoon). 2 = tank Nr.2 within the Zug.
PIC 4. The 1st SS Pz decal was found in the spares box, and is at least 42 years old, being from the original Tamiya 1/35th scale Panther kit !
Fortunately, it's over sized for 1/35th scale, but perfect for 1/16th scale. However, it's the earlier version of the unit badge, with a single key, so a second, somewhat shaky key was hand painted. Again, once coated in 'dust', it should pass inspection !
PIC 5. A second, correct decal was located in the spares files, this time from a 1/35th scale PzKfw IV kit. It's somewhat under-sized for this big model, and would normally be located on the hull rear, or perhaps on the 'Feifel' can, but once it's 'dirtied up', it'll probably be difficult to see anyway !
PIC 6. A front view showing the corrected Divisional badge and, on the left in the pic, the arm of service designator, with the rhomboid indicating Panzer, the 'S' within indicating Schwerre, or Heavy, and the '2' at the right indicating 2nd Kompanie.
Again, this is rather rough, as my hands and wrists were really giving me some stick by this stage, so i'll have a go at improving it at a later stage.

Next step is to paint the road wheel 'tyres', then clean-up, paint and fit the accessories, in the way of cables and tools, before doing some detail painting, basic weathering and wear, and then adding grime and stains, with an overall coat of 'dust'.
Back soon with another up-date, and possibly the completed 'conversion'.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments.

Tiger mods 154.JPG
Tiger mods 148.JPG
Tiger mods 149.JPG
Tiger mods 122.JPG
Tiger mods 155.JPG
Tiger mods 162.JPG

Thanks Wayne. Just about to start cleaning-up the accessories, ready for paint.
They're already 'pre-coloured', and aren't too bad as supplied, but they'll look better with a bit of paint here and there.

Thanks very much chaps.
Haven't done any more yet - had my sleepy head on for the last two days, and slept most of the time !
I have got some basic weathering and grime applied though, and the road wheel tyres have been painted. About to start on the accessories, then fit them and give a coat of 'dust' overall.
Pics maybe tomorrow, if not later tonight.

Tiger mods 165.JPG
Tiger mods 172.JPG
Tiger mods 177.JPG
Tiger mods 174.JPG
Tiger mods 187.JPG
Tiger mods 188.JPG
Tiger mods 190.JPG
Tiger mods 192.JPG
Tiger mods 171.JPG
Thanks John !
Got some more done last night - sleep pattern is up the pictures, so trying to get back to normal. Stayed up latish, then had a few hours kip, and then got back to work on the Tiger.
I want to get it finished before I go away - I didn't really expect to spend so much time on it !
Anyway, dirt, grime and oil have been applied to the engine deck, the towing hawsers and track-pulling cable have been painted and fitted, as have a couple of detail parts, and the spare tracks have been worked on, painted and weathered, and fitted to the front plate, and thne tracks have been painted.
The tools have been painted, but not yet fitted - a bit more work to do on them yet, then they'll be fitted to the top of the hull, before giving the entire tank a coat of 'dust'.

PIC 1. The towing hawsers, with the barrel cleaning rods, as supplied.
PICS 2 and 3. Painted and fitted to the hull top. The thinner cable on the hull side was used to winch a track in place, via the sprocket wheel, when changing from 'transport' tracks, or repairing a combat track.
PIC 4. Track cable painted and fitted. Each track link weighed 66lb (30kg), and there were 96 links per side, each complete track weighing 2.82 tons (2,880kg). Changing tracks, which was fairly frequent when loading onto rail transport, required considerable manpower, and the use of this cable to pull the track into position.
PICS 5 and 6. The spare track links had the track horns drilled out, reamed and filed, before painting to give a dirty, slightly rusty look. and fitting back onto the hull front plate. These will be further 'dirtied' by airbrushing dust and dirt onto them, mainly around the lower edges, later.
PIC 7. The engine deck has been dirtied, with oil and general 'muck', a little difficult to see properly in this shot.
PIC 8. Tool box (left) and jack (right) painted, and exhaust burn and oil stains added to the rear plate and exhaust shields.
PIC 9. First stage of painting the tools.

I'm hoping to get the tools finished and fitted, and the final 'dusting' and other wear and tear added later today, before I start preparing for my 'Tin Tent' tour.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments, and I'll be back soon !

Thanks Wojtek and Wayne.

Got the tools painted and fitted, as shown below, and I've just finished giving the whole tank a coat of 'dust', and some dirt streaks etc. Pics of the latest bit to follow, meanwhile, the tools are pictured below.

PIC 1. Bolt cutters, painted and fitted.
PIC 2. Axe, spade and sledge hammer, painted and fitted. The 'box' at the left is often mistaken for a tool box, but in fact it's actually a thick, solid block of hardwood, used as a jack pad. The supplied part was a lightish brown, but on the real tank, it was very dark, almost black in some cases, and was probably ebony or a similar close-grained hardwood.
A long-handled 'un-ditching' shovel was also included in the accessories pack, which was normally mounted on the glacis plate, but most mid-production Tigers didn't seem to have this, so I omitted it.

Tiger mods 195.JPG
Tiger mods 193.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back