1/16th scale Tiger 1 Ausf. E.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Not really a 'Start to Finish' build as such, as this tank is already built, being a ready to run R/C model, but more a coverage of the modifications required to make the model representative of a mid-production model as it would have looked in 1944.
I must stress at this point that the model will be 'representative', and may not be totally accurate overall - purists please note, before before commentating on the inaccuracies, if any !
This fully working model, by Heng Long, is actually an early type, with the original 'drum type' turret cupola, and the 'Feifel' cyclone air cleaner assemblies, and my intention is to turn it into something that looks like a mid-production vehicle, with the early, 'dished' road wheels, and later, Panther-type commander's cupola.
Depending on the time of manufacture, from late 1943 onwards, there were a number of other detail changes, such as re-positioned headlights, ultimately ending up as a single, centrally mounted light, different drive sprockets, changes to tool stowage, exhausts, turret roof fittings and many more. But the main outwardly recognisable difference was the deletion of the pipe work and air filter 'cans' of the 'Fiefel' equipment, something I had intended to do on this model.
However, in order to remove the 'cans', the model has to be partially dismantled, and I tried to do this, only to hit a snag when one of the screws holding the hull together, refused to move, and I burred-over the screw head when trying to !
Consequently, the entire 'Fiefel' system will remain in place, and I'll apply a large amount of 'modeller's licence' in accepting this as 'possible'.
As I can't gain access to the inside of the hull or turret, the headlights will also remain as they are - I don't want to just cut off one light, as they actually work !
There's a possibility, albeit rather slim, that my modifications might be correct after all, as a number of early Tigers were refurbished after being damaged, and re-issued to units in 1944, resulting in early tanks with later turrets and cupolas, later tanks with the late-style road wheels and early turrets, two headlamps, one lamp on one side and so on, so it's possible to see various combinations of equipment set-up, even within one particular unit.
I'm still researching details on the units, but the model will ultimately be finished as either a tank from SS s.Pz.Abt 101 in Normandy, mid-June 1944, or a vehicle from s.Pz.Kp Hummel involved in the fighting in Arnhem and around Elst, Holland, in September 1944.
Modifications will include fitting the later style cupola, together with the re-positioned turret ventilation fan, the loader's periscope housing and the close defence weapon launcher on the turret roof, and the main visual detail, the addition of 'zimmerit' anti- magnetic mine paste, as well as a number of other small details, before painting the model in the colours of the period, using Dark Yellow, green and red-brown.
These first two posts show the progress to date, and I'm hoping I can complete the modifications and painting relatively quickly, without going into lots of fine detail - this will be a working model, as well as a static 'show piece', and i don't really want to spend a lot of time adding every small detail imaginable.

PIC 1. This is how the tank looks when unpacked from the large box, but without the addition of the accessories, such as cables, tools etc.
PICS 2 and 3. The early cupola fitted to the model, about to be removed.
PIC 4. The early, armoured pistol port has to be removed.
PIC 5.The 'Fiefel' air cleaner system. Note that the exhausts, to the rear of the pipe work, actually smoke on the model along with engine noise !
PIC 6. Early style turret vent fan - the close defence weapon launcher cover occupies this position on the mid and late production models.
PIC 7. This is what is under the early-style cupola - the oval hole is the loading 'hatch' for the gun, which fires 6mm BBs out to 25 meters !
PIC 8. Removing the base of the cupola mount, to allow the replacement, white metal cupola to 'sit' lower.
PIC 9. Test-fitting the new cupola. The base of this should really be flush with the turret roof, but there's a real risk of damage to the turret if the plastic was hacked away further. The joint will be blended-in with 'Milliput', and weld marks added, when the cupola is glued in place, and hopefully the small discrepancy in height won't be too noticeable.

More follows in the next post.

Buys 442.JPG
Tiger mods 001.JPG
Tiger mods 017.JPG
Tiger mods 002.JPG
Tiger mods 004.JPG
Tiger mods 005.JPG
Tiger mods 006.JPG
Tiger mods 021.JPG
Tiger mods 024.JPG

The pics below show further progress, with the model getting very close to the painting stage. All moulding seams have been filed down and sanded, some 'damage' and dents have been added to various 'soft' areas of the tank, and the 'zimmerit' has been added.

PIC 1 The early, armoured pistol port has been removed, and the attachment 'pegs' have since been cut flush with the turret side. This port was replaced by a simplified version, as a 'plug', which in turn was later deleted altogether. To simplify things, my model will depict the later modification, without the port.
PIC 2. Filing down the moulding seams on the air cleaner 'cans', a job that was also done to all visible seams across the entire model.
PICS 3 and 4. Various dents and 'shrapnel' damage have been added to the turret stowage bin, the exhaust shields, and along the track guards. Looking rather rough in these pics, the dents will be 'refined' by careful sanding, to give the appearance of damage to the thin sheet metal.
PIC 5. This is a kit for the 'zimmerit', made from flexible, rubber-like material, to be attached with a contact or epoxy adhesive. Designed for the 'Taigen' version of the Tiger, some trimming and filler will be needed to obtain a good fit.
PICS 6 to 8. The 'zimmerit' in place - a slightly messy job, but worth the effort, and lot easier, and quicker, than making the coating using and embossing 'Milliput' or similar putties. The joints will be trimmed with small beads of 'Milliput', with some also added to the side of the gun mantlet, on the escape hatch hinge, and at the corners of the hull and along the glacis plate. Note the slots on the hull sides, cut out of the sheet where the holes for the track cable are located, to allow the moulded cable clamps to fit into the 'zimmerit', giving the appearance of the coating being applied around the clamps. Some chipped and broken areas of the 'zimmerit' have also been simulated, on the turret sides, and along the front of the hull.

Next job is to make and add the glazing for the episcopes in the replacement cupola, before fitting this to the turret, along with the replacement, white metal turret fan, close defence weapon cover and the loader's periscope cover. Once that's done, some small details will be scratch-built, in the way of hinges and latches on the turret storage bin, before preparing the model for painting. The rectangular recess in the front, top, of the turret bin, where it meets the turret wall, should be open, and there should be a turret lifting lug positioned within the recess, but as I'm uncertain how this area is assembled on the model, I don't want to risk drilling-out the area, so it will be masked by the addition of some camouflage foliage, or an item of equipment, on the finished model.
As the weather is looking rather dubious, I might not go on my planned trip in the 'Tin Tent', but if I do go, I'll take the model with me, and work on it whilst I'm away. Either way, I'll post more up-date pics soon.

Tiger mods 008.JPG
Tiger mods 009.JPG
Tiger mods 028.JPG
Tiger mods 031.JPG
Tiger mods 010.JPG
Tiger mods 033.JPG
Tiger mods 034.JPG
Tiger mods 039.JPG

Hi Terry, is a great pleasure to enjoy your own work. :smilebowtie:

In my little experience in modeling, I think tank construction is the most complicated by the large number of external details, camouflages and requiring great job in wear, sludge, rust, beatings and scrapes. My respects to the tankers. :salute:

It will be an interesting adventure accompany you in the process, at the same time to learn from your great knowledge now in military tanks. :idea:

Saludos y un fuerte abrazo amigo! :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Thanks very much Luis.
As I mentioned, I don't intend to go to great lengths with extra detailing - I've seen some of these that have incredible extra details added - just as long as it looks like a mid-production Tiger 1.
After all, it is a working model, and a lot of small details ,if added, could very easily get damaged or destroyed, so I can't see much point in spending the time and effort on some things which might not even be noticeable.

Thanks Geo. It's a pleasant change just adding bits to a model that's already built, and I'm quite enjoying it. And when it's finished, I can play with it ... I mean drive it, I can drive it .................... and shoot the gun. Maybe I can bag a few Jackdaws !

Thanks chaps. Just about to start work on the cupola, making and fitting the episcopes.
Once that's done, the cupola can have a coat of primer, and be fitted onto the turret. Then a few small details will be added, and the 'zimmerit' cleaned up around the edges, with extra areas done in 'Milliput', and it should be ready for a base coat of dark yellow.
More pics soon, when I finish playing with the tank - I mean, exploring it's functioning systems and getting accustomed to the controls !

Thanks Hugh.
I made some good progress this evening, and getting ever closer to the painting stage.
The new fittings for the turret roof have been attached, the episcopes for the cupola have been made and fitted, and the cupola has been attached to the turret.

PIC 1. The original turret ventilator fan has been removed, and the area sanded down.
PICS 2 and 3. The close defence weapon port has been fitted in place of the original fan, whilst the new fan has been fitted to the center of the turret, directly above the gun breech, and the loader's periscope cover has been fitted. The latter had a block of scrap resin glued on the inside, to represent the periscope head, and to provide an area on which to glue the cover to the turret roof..
PIC 4. Lengths of plastic channel have been glued in place around the inside of the commander's cupola,at each episcope position, as supports for the glazing. The inside of each episcope housing was then painted matt black, then a piece of clear plastic sheet was attached to each plastic channel, using Humbrol 'Clear Fix'. Once set, the clear sheets were given a thin coat of Tamiya Clear Green, to simulate the green tinge of the 'Panzerglas viewing ports.
PIC 5. A rough coat of Mid Stone has been applied to the cupola, to act as a primer coat (it's looking very yellow, due to the lighting). The 'Panzerglas' can just about be seen in this pic.
PICS 6 to 8. The cupola has been fitted to the turret, using CA adhesive, and is ready to be blended-in to the mounting ring, using 'Milliput'. A weld bead around the cupola base will also be simulated at this stage.

Next step is to blend-in the edges of the 'rubber' zimmerit, again using 'Milliput', and add some other small areas of zimmerit to the turret escape hatch hinge, the gun mantlet, the joints at front and rear of the hull, and a couple of areas on the rear plate, where it wasn't possible to fit the 'rubber' parts, due to all the 'sticky out bits' in this area.
Some small details will also be scratch-built and fitted to the hull and turret.
As I'm not now going on a 'Tin Tent' tour, or at least not for another week or so, I hope to get all this work done some time tomorrow, and maybe start the painting.

Tiger mods 040.JPG
Tiger mods 042.JPG
Tiger mods 043.JPG
Tiger mods 046.JPG
Tiger mods 048.JPG
Tiger mods 049.JPG
Tiger mods 051.JPG
Tiger mods 052.JPG

It is a very good progress Terry. :thumbleft::thumbright:
It is tremendous that radio control tank !! :werecomingforyou:

It will be very interesting to see the variety of moves that will master with the control.
(I liked those windows in green)

regards :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Thanks very much, Wojtek, Jan and Luis !

A bit more has been done, with work still underway blending the rubber 'zimmerit' into the hull and turret along the edges, and adding more 'zimmerit' to those places not served by the 'stick on' kit.
PIC 1. The new cupola has been blended into the turret mounting ring, and a weld bead added, using 'Milliput', as well as filling the joints between the rubber and the turret plastic. Once fully set, some light sanding and further etching will be completed, to 'tidy up' the area.
PICS 2 and 3. 'Milliput' was also used to extend the 'zimmerit' around the corners of the hull at front and back.
PIC 4. Work underway adding the 'zimmerit' to the bare edges of the gun mantlet.

I'm hoping to get a lot more done tomorrow, and might even get the first coat of paint on - more pics when there's something to show.

Tiger mods 059.JPG
Tiger mods 057.JPG
Tiger mods 058.JPG
Tiger mods 056.JPG

Crossing posts.
Thanks Jim. Actually, my moustache fell off a couple of days ago. Or more correctly, I was trimming it with a razor, and overdid things, swiping a great stripe up one side of it !
So I had to shave off the rest of it, and let it all grow back evenly - should be back to normal in a day or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back