1/32 Hawker Tempest V - Special Hobby

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

WolfRacer

Airman
Mar 15, 2016
Hi everyone!

So I'm just starting out on this kit. Partly because I have some questions I hope people can help me out with :)

A couple of questions I had and maybe someone can answer or point me to sources...

1. Cockpit colours, the kit suggests the RAF cockpit green for the framework, lower parts of the sidewalls and details (rudder pedals, seat, footrests, firewalls etc), with black for the upper parts of the sidewalls, instrument panels, head armour, gunsight and gunsight frames. Does this sound right? I've seen others do Tempest kits that were entirely black interiors and still others that were almost entirely green.

2. Seatbelts, anyone have a picture of what these should look like? The kit instructions show how to thread them, but there's no "finished" picture so I don't know how much of the strap should be passed through the buckles, how they should drape and so on.

Anyway, on with it! I like to ramble so feel free to jump to the pictures if you don't care :lol:

I started off by polishing the canopy. Unfortunately it came slightly scratched and somewhat scuffed. The kit as a whole seemed poorly packed for such an expensive model, several of the resin bits were broken and many parts have scuff marks on them from rubbing against adjacent sprues, but anyway. I decided to start by polishing the canopy because I've never had to remove scratches before and needed to find out if I'd have to figure out a replacement part. I think in the end it came up alright. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any "before" pictures for potential buyers of the kit to check out.

I started with sanding out the scratches with 2000 grit, it took a bit of time but I didn't want to go lower grit lest I inflict larger scratches that would be hard to remove. Then for polishing I used a Dremel, I haven't seen anyone use this method before so I thought I'd mention it. Dremel brand polishing cloths are expensive and I couldn't find non-dremel branded ones, so instead of using a polishing cloth you can make a DIY foam polishing pad. Just grab a foam polishing pad from an automotive store, I think these ones cost me a couple of bucks for 2 pads, cut small circles out of them and just thread them on to the threaded Dremel head. Viola, instant buffing wheel that costs almost nothing! It's also less likely to leave a haze if you work an are too much like a cloth might, so it's a very safe polishing method. I polished it with Tamiya compounds, went through the range of coarse, fine and finish. Using the Dremel it only takes maybe 10-15 minutes to polish a canopy like this.

After the canopy I've just been working on the cockpit, cleaning mould lines, cleaning up the resin parts. The resin gunsight and gunsight frame came broken so I used the plastic part but attached the lower part of the resin gunsight to add some more detail. I also have the eduard cockpit set, but I may not use it because it looks a bit weird to me (it's rough and glossy where as it should be smooth and satin).

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

I think the consensus is that the instructions are correct for a wartime Tempest.

I took the advice of more knowledgeable people on Britmodeller before painting mine. This is an 'in progress' photograph.

IMG_1712_zpskvdjtf0e.gif

Good luck with your build. It's a lovely kit and will make a very nice Tempest!

Temp_5_small_zpsgsepo4rg.gif

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
Interesting! Thanks. So I'm still unsure what it is though! :lol:

Most of the references with grey green framework seem to come from aircraft that may have been restored. I found the pics of NV778 and it's had quite a history of being reconstructed and repainted. EJ693 is the one Kermit Weeks is restoring and has a green interior but the one again has had a long and complicated life.

Stona, do you have a link to the Britmodeller thread? I'll have a read of it but can't seem to find anything at the moment.

When I first got the desire to build a large scale Tempest (before the SH kit came out) I happened upon Paul Budzik's incredible scratch built Tempest which had a grey green interior and I admit I was just going to go the same because I figured Paul is the sort of guy who would get things as correct as possible :lol:

Thanks! EJ693 was a mid '44 Tempest, I haven't decided yet but mine will probably be mid 44 to early 45 so I'll go with what the kit instructions recommend.

You might also find this site useful.

As to colours, side walls almost certainly black. I also chose to go with cockpit grey-green for the lowers part of the pit on my build. I think it might be possible that the lower walls and or framing could be silver doped as well, depending on when/where the frame was manufactured.

One thing you will need to watch, if you are going for accuracy, is to see whether or not your chosen model would have had the early reinforced tail assembly, essentially a legacy Typhoon design, or the later, redesigned rear fuselage which would not have had the "fish plates". Check the molding on your model for what is provided. The scheme you chose will need to consider the panel lines in your kit (see diagrams below). There are other minor differences depending on serial number so fire any questions you might have as I have several references on file.

Series 1.JPG
series 2.JPG

As to your question on seat belts, there's a good discussion on the topic here.

Looking forward to this one! Briefly considered purchasing this kit but decided it was too far from my wheelhouse to really sink my teeth into. The Tempest is a really cool looking bird though

Thanks!

Aesthetically to me the Tempest has a combination of beefy brutishness but also a certain elegance, it looks like a very clean aircraft other than the big chin. I imagine it probably has a reasonably low drag coefficient.

Crimea, yeah I've been hunting through "The Hawker Tempest Page".

So seatbelt wise, I didn't think the Tempest used the same seatbelts as Spits did during wartime, from the pictures would the Tempest be using the "QS" type? The belts included in the kit don't have the reinforced grommets I normally associate with the Sutton type that the Spitfire used.

I've decided to use the Eduard instrument panel but I couldn't deal with the weird shiny and rough panel, so I repainted it using Tamiya Rubber Black. I think it makes it look less like a toy, a bit more realistic and adds a bit of contrast between the panel and the gauge faces themselves.

full.jpg

Very interesting the query pages that appear suggested by colleagues friends. The work that you show us so far, will make it very interesting to follow in the process. :salute:
Although I am now immersed in 1/48, it will be very good reference when I have a Hawker in turn.

Regards WolfRacer.

Saludos "Lobo de Carreras" :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

Seatbelts were not unique to specific aircraft but were generally standardized across types. I agree that you would probably have one of the later quick release harnesses and not the earlier grommeted affair.

Love the panel and you are right - the black looks much better than the stock colour used by Eduard.

Thanks, the kit decals for the gauges actually look better than the Eduard gauges, but they are strangely slightly oversized for the size of the bezels moulded on to the instrument panel so I couldn't get them to sit right and reverted to Eduard's.

Without a zoom lens you probably can't tell the difference, lol.

From what I'm gathering it seems Spitfires kept using the Sutton type harnesses throughout the war and then swapped to the QS and later types after the war, but it seems the Tempest didn't use the Sutton and went straight to the QS? Either that or there was another type between the Sutton/QK harness and the QS harness?

Last edited:
I don't like the shine/texture of the pre-painted stuff that Eduard produces either. A flat coat reduces the effect somewhat and that is what I normally do on my 1/48 builds. But re-painting yields even better results and your panel is much improved over what Eduard has provided.

From what I'm gathering it seems Spitfires kept using the Sutton type harnesses throughout the war and then swapped to the QS and later types after the war, but it seems the Tempest didn't use the Sutton and went straight to the QS? Either that or there was another type between the Sutton/QK harness and the QS harness?

Out of my depth now I'm afraid but this discussion should could add to the murk. Input from Edgar Brooks shows Tempest using a "non-Sutton" type Q but I'm not sure what that means or how it will help you.

Further to this, here's a description of the harness from the Tempest V Pilot's Notes:

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

This describes pretty well the type you can get from Eduard for your kit that look like the below pic though it seems to have the quick release on it (Mod 103?).

EDR32881.jpg

Because I'm apparently insane I decided to also try doing the panel with the kit decals. It was tricky because, as I mentioned, the decals seem to be oversized for the moulding, so it required some careful trimming seeing as I don't have a hole punch. The kit decals actually look quite nice other than the oversizedness. The gauge decals all have a black outline that's maybe 0.2-0.3mm wide that you have to remove if you want them to sit inside the bezels.

What do you reckon? Go for the eduard panel (left) or the kit decals (right)?

full.jpg

I will admit I'm not sure which one is more accurate, as I've seen a few different arrangements for Tempest instrument panels but have no idea when changes were made, so I'd just be flipping a coin regarding historical accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back