1/32 Ki-61-I Hien

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's where I go to.

As stated before.If the mods can flip this to a Start to finish build and make it a sticky I would appreciate it.

IMG_0981a800.JPG

IMG_0982a700.JPG

IMG_0983a700.JPG

IMG_0986a700.JPG

IMG_0988a700.JPG

Thanks Wojtek.

So, I started work on the landing gear and added some scratch built details. You will notice that the brake lines run down the aft portion of the landing gear strut. A number of Hien photos often show them running down the front of the strut. However, using my excellent Hien fighter book as a reference I saw that the brake lines were positioned both ways. As there are no landing gear references for the particular Hien I am doing (3295) I decided to have them run aft.

The brake lines are .6mm lead wire. the break line strapping is lead foil.
Drilled out the holes in the upper and lower torque links using a few different sizes of drills with my pin vise.
The tow lugs are taken from a 1/35 scale German armour U-clamp.
The brake line fittings are again taken from a 1/35 german panther and are the from the drivers hatch locking mechanism. These were often brass fittings but I might just paint them the same silver colour as the landing gear. Not sure at this point.
Landing gear covers have been primed.

Cheers,

IMG_0968a700.JPG

IMG_0975a700.JPG

IMG_0980a700.JPG

Last edited:
More progress pics on the landing gear.

I got the gear now more or less done. For the main struts I noticed in some of my references that they were not a silver or dull silver only. The upper struts were a darker metallic colour. I decided to model this using Humbrol dark silver metalizer. I originally bought this and the black metalizer colours to do the barrels on my German 4 barrel Flakvierling. As you may know they dry with a flat look then you buff it to a shine. I must say I like the look.

Here are some pics to give you an idea.

IMG_1016a400.JPG

IMG_1017a400.JPG

IMG_1018a400.JPG

IMG_1021a400.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back