1/32 Ki-61-I Hien

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Totalize

Tech Sergeant
Kit: Hasegawa Ki-61-I Hien
Scale: 1/32
Accessories: Eduard PE set for Hasegawa Ki-61, Quickboost Exhaust, Master 12.7mm Japanese gun barrels, Precision Models Hinomaru Paint Masks.

Hasegawa-KI-61-Box_DD_zps5e077c92.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Gentleman.

I am looking forward to building my first 1/32 scale aircraft kit. I am not sure at this point what scheme I am going to use. I was originally thinking of Kobayashi's a/c which is on the box cover but in looking at KI-61's there seems to be a plethora of Kobayashi schemes out there including many 244th Sentai schemes. I read that Kobayashi's unit got a lot of publicity and was often photographed hence the amount of photo data on the 244th. If you guys have some suggestions for decals/schemes it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dave.

Last edited:
I am going to enjoy watching this build and learning from you. I have very little experience in Japanese colors and such. This should be a very informative build for me.

Oh lovely choice David, and welcome to our GB world. Wayne is your man if you want to know anything, he's a top guy in this field as well as being a top modeller.

ok-wink.gif

Cheque is in the mail Vic....:D

there are a series of different schemes for Kobayashi's Ki-61's so you can do the 6 victory aircraft in the kit or another if you can get your hands on the Lifelike decals series, there are 3 sheets containing some other kobayashi aircraft plus a few others for different pilots. Check them out...you should still be able to get your hands on them...

I am going to enjoy watching this build and learning from you. I have very little experience in Japanese colors and such. This should be a very informative build for me.

Thanks Dneid,

I think this will be an interesting build and I too hope to learn a few things. Stay tuned.

Cheque is in the mail Vic....:D

there are a series of different schemes for Kobayashi's Ki-61's so you can do the 6 victory aircraft in the kit or another if you can get your hands on the Lifelike decals series, there are 3 sheets containing some other kobayashi aircraft plus a few others for different pilots. Check them out...you should still be able to get your hands on them...

Wayne,

Thank you for the suggestions.

I have seen the various lifelike sets for the 244th Sentai. They might definitely be an option. The Hasegawa decals include a set for a Kobayashi's personal aircraft with a blue stripe running down the side which is the subject of the box art. From what I read this aircraft was lost in an intentional ramming of a B-29 by Kobayashi. As we know Kobayashi survived the incident but I am not sure if I want to do this one.

I am hoping to do an unusual scheme, something different from the usual mottled or dark green camo scheme.

I saw this one which looks interesting but I think its a Tei which had the longer nose to accomodate the Ho-5 Cannons instead of the 12.7mm MG's that is part of the Hasegawa kit. The hasegawa kit can be made with the German MG151/20's in the wings. Wolfpack makes a conversion kit to do a Tei but for this build I am going to stay with the kit aircraft.

Artwork-Tony-Ki-61-II-18-Sentai-3-Chutai-white-322-Chiba-Japan-1945-0A.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some ideas Dave. This is a 1/48 sheet and out of production, but it may give you some ideas. I like the 2nd and last ones personally.

am48116a.jpg

You may have a difficult time getting away from the "standard schemes" as I don't really thinks there was much in the way of anything else.

in the book of burnin do, here is also very rare surprising message:

Burnindo-Ki-61Hienpdf-AdobeReader.jpg

I had thought about doing this when I had the occasion to be able to verify that the plane existed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back