1/32 Ki-61-I Hien

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If you choose to do a dapple scheme of any kind, I would very much appreciate if you walked thru the process of how to apply it. Never tried it, but would love to learn.

Ive always really liked the shape and form of the Ki61. ill watch your build with interest.

Here are some ideas Dave. This is a 1/48 sheet and out of production, but it may give you some ideas. I like the 2nd and last ones personally.

am48116a.jpg

You may have a difficult time getting away from the "standard schemes" as I don't really thinks there was much in the way of anything else.

Andy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the 1st and second one. I like the japanese home defence markings and the lightning bolt on number 2.

in the book of burnin do, here is also very rare surprising message:

View attachment 254483

I had thought about doing this when I had the occasion to be able to verify that the plane existed

Sergio,

Thanks for posting a graphic of of that Ki-61. I like this profile. Don't know if there are decals for it though in 1/32 scale.
The one I mentioned in my post should be fairly straight forward to to. I think I have some decal numbers that look similar and the right size too.

I need to select an a/c soon and post a bio.

Looking forward to your Build David.

I'll admire you pluck if you do take that red flash bird David, lot of work on the paint side unless you use Sergio's metal undercoat and salt method.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for stopping in and adding your comments to this thread.

So, I have decided to do the following aircraft.

2005.6.20 3295 Jan.1945 HPS.jpg

Artwork by Yukinobo Nishikawa.

Captain Teruhiko Kobayashi was the commander of the famed 244th Sentai which was charged with the air defense of Tokyo principally against American B-29 bomber attacks. Kobyashi started his flying career as a light bomber pilot but converted to fighters in early 1943 and graduated from the Akeno Fighter school in June 1944. By November 1944 Kobayashi was promoted to command the 244th Sentai which was flying the Ki-61 Hien (Swallow) and was at the time of his promotion the youngest Sentai leader in the Imperial Japanese Army Air Force. By war's end Kobayashi was promoted to Major and ended the war with 5 kills to his credit that included three B-29's and two F6F Hellcats.

The subject of this build is the KI-61 Hei that Kobayashi flew out of Chofu airfield in early 1945. The aircraft was originally armed with two 12.7 mm MG's in the nose and two 20mm German MG151/20 cannons in the wings. To reach the B-29's flying at 30,000 feet the aircraft needed to be lighter and as a result the two nose mounted MG's were removed and the openings covered over with leather blocking material. In January 1945 Kobayashi
intercepted an incoming B-29 bomber raid near Mount Fuji and used this aircraft to ram one of the B-29's. The American bomber went down as did Kobayahsi's aircraft but he was able to bailout with only a scrape across the bridge of his nose. For this act he was awarded the Bukosho medal which was the Japanese equivalent to the Victoria Cross or Medal of Honour.

Last edited:
If you choose to do a dapple scheme of any kind, I would very much appreciate if you walked thru the process of how to apply it. Never tried it, but would love to learn.

Ive always really liked the shape and form of the Ki61. ill watch your build with interest.

Thanks Michael.

I am going to do the dapple scheme. I don't want to spend hours upon hours trying to get it right though. I would like to think there are some options out there to do it accurately and efficiently.

I'll admire you pluck if you do take that red flash bird David, lot of work on the paint side unless you use Sergio's metal undercoat and salt method.

Vic,

Yes it could be hours and hours of paint work but I am going to try a mask which will do it more quickly and efficiently.
In fact I just ordered this one.

http://www.gatorsmask.com/files/ki_61tony.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back