>> 1/32 Kyushu J7W1 Shinden – Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wayne Little

Staff
Mod
Oct 7, 2006
Adelaide Sth. Aust.
Username : Wayne Little

First name : Wayne

Category : Judge – Non competing

Scale : 1/32

Manufacturer / Model : Zoukei-Mura Kyushu J7W1 Shinden

Extras : Eduard Cockpit & Seatbelt Set and canopy Masks. Zoukei-Mura Brass Cannon Barrels.

The Kyushu J7W1 Shinden (Magnificent Lightning) with its unusual aircraft configuration was perhaps one of the most recognisable airframes to come out of World War II

The J7W1 Shinden was built as a short range land based interceptor to counter the attacks of the B-29 Superfortress, a task assigned to the Imperial Japanese Navy.

Captain Masayoshi Tsuruno who headed the technical staff of the Imperial Japanese Navy chose the canard configuration in his design. After utilizing glider models with similar lay out to prove the feasibility of the concept, a full scale prototype was completed in April 1945 powered by a Mitsubishi MK9D radial engine rated at 2,130 horsepower driving a six bladed propeller. Captain Tsuruno himself took the prototype to its first test flight on 3 August 1945 following delays owing to unavailability of spare parts. The success of the design was impressive despite torque pull to starboard due to the power of the engine and vibrations in the extended drive shaft. With the formal surrender of Japan on 2 September 1945 however, the J7W1 Shinden's production had been confined to just the two prototypes, the first left to be scrapped and the last seized by the US Forces for shipment back home.

The J7W1 was produced by Kyūshū Hikōki K.K. The project was given to Kyūshū, not because of design expertise, but because they were available to build it. The original idea was to have the Shinden as a jet powered plane as Capt. Tsuruno believed the design could easily be retrofitted with a turbojet, however a six-bladed propeller was installed to keep the project moving along. The large propellers needed an unusually long tricycle landing gear for ground clearance. It was to have four 30mm cannon installed in the nose to balance out the heavy engine at the back. Since Japan was in a desperate position the navy ordered the Shinden into production even before the first prototype flew. The jet-engined version was still under development when the war ended.

The J7W1 designation comes from the Japanese method of Assignment,

J referred to Land Based Interceptor.

7 being the Seventh Version of the Land Based Interceptor Fighter

W the Parent Company/ Builder, Watanabe Tekkōjo which changed it's name to Kyūshū Hikōki K.K in 1943.

1 Representing the First Design/Model

My Aircraft will represent the next stage of the "Prototype / Weird Aircraft development, the J7W1 fitted with the 30mm Cannon armament.

first up the cockpit components...
1_Cockpit Components_5610.jpg
2_Cockpit floor_5612.jpg
3_Cockpit Floor Assy_5614.jpg
4_Rear Bulkhead_5617.jpg
5_Port Side_5618.jpg

Wayne,
If you need anything from the Zoukei-Mura source book on this bird, let me know, though I'm fairly certain you have it already.

Actually i don't have it....have to go and stand in the naughty corner....

Also have some shots I sent to Glenn if you need anything. Looking forward to the build

Hopefully I have enough to see me through...the Instruction book is pretty good.
But thanks anyway Guys.

messed up on some of the early pics so couldn't use them...so here is where I take up from, cockpit bits dry fitted then painted ready to go together...plus the instrument panel done.
6_Cockpit Assy_5620.jpg
7_Cockpit Assy_5623.jpg
6_Cockpit Assy_5620.jpg
7_Cockpit Assy_5623.jpg
8_Cockpit painting_5742.jpg
9_Instrument Panel_5743.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back