>> 1/48 Kyushu J7W1 Shinden - Prototype / Weird Aircraft / Trainers (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Bolt

Colonel
Mar 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois
User Name: T Bolt
Name: Glenn
Category: Advanced
Kit: Hasegawa Kyushu J7W1 Shinden
Scale: 1/48th
Accessories: Resin wheels (Can't remember if they came with the kit or I tossed them in the box years ago)

The Shinden was designed by Lieutenant Commander Masayoshi Tsuruno, of the technical staff of the Imperial Japanese Navy and built as a response to the bombing of the Japanese home islands by B-29 bombers. The unusual canard configuration was chosen because Tsuruno believed it could easily be retrofitted with a turbojet, when that type of engine became available.

The construction of the two prototypes was started in June 1944, and the first one was completed in April 1945. Difficulties with engine cooling along with some equipment problems delayed the first flight. After an attempted first flight where the prop struck the ground it finally took to the air on 3 August 1945 after small wheels were added to the bottoms of the fins to protect the prop. Two more short flights were made adding up to a total of 45 minutes, the first on August 6th, the day the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima and the second on August 9th the day the Nagasaki bomb was dropped. The end of the way halted any further testing.

One of the prototypes was scraped while the other was shipped to the U.S. by the Navy and eventually ended up with the Smithsonian Institution where the forward fuselage is on display at the Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles International Airport.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
The Kit

Not a whole lot of detail but the parts look to be nicely molded. Being an older kit, the panel lines are raised :(

Decals and clear parts look nice. I'm not sure if the resin wheels came with the kit or I got them aftermarket and stuck them in the box -this kit has been in the stash a long long time- anyway there is no maker mark on them that I can see.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

If you notice in the video after the first run the prop blade tips are bent as a result of the nose jumping up and the blades hitting the ground.
In the latter part of the video with blades repaired or replaced you can then see the small added tail wheels to each vertical Stab to prevent the same problem happening again.

I pretty much got the cockpit together last night. The first two pictures are from the only remaining Shinden I found in the internet somewhere. These and some pictures from George were used at painting references. I didn't do anything extra except the harness because I intend to keep the canopy closed
2009-12406.jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
P4212433.JPG
P4212437.JPG
P4212436.JPG
P4212439.JPG
P4212438.JPG

If you notice in the video after the first run the prop blade tips are bent as a result of the nose jumping up and the blades hitting the ground.
In the latter part of the video with blades repaired or replaced you can then see the small added tail wheels to each vertical Stab to prevent the same problem happening again.
That prop strike happened during the landing of the first of the 2 flights according to some info George sent me. It seems that the aircraft that the Smithsonian has is probably the second prototype which never flew.

Woah, slow down there was just getting my head around the start and your half way done! Hmmmm raised panel lines.... SANDING!
Got to move fast if I want any hope of getting 3 or 4 entries done this group build !
I hope to get the fuselage and wings glued up tonight. I'm going to be out of town the end of this week through the beginning of next week but maybe I can bring it alone and get some more work done on it.

The panel lines do worry me. I'm going to try to keep as much as possible and a test fit showed that there shouldn't be too much sanding of seams. My plan is to engrave any obliterated panel lines, pre shade the underside panel lines with black, than paint the gray bottom, mask it off and spray the dark green top, than lightly sand to remove the paint from the raised panel lines, revealing the light gray plastic on top and the black pre shading on the bottom. After a clear coat I'll fill the engraved panel lines with gray and black tempera paint to match the raised panel lines top and bottom. All this could turn into a disaster but I think it will work. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Madness I tell you, madness 3 kits at once! I like your stated approach, will be watching carefully as I have some older Revell raised panel line kits I will be tackling some day myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back