1/32 Revell Messerschmitt Me 262 B1a/U1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Again my fellow modelers.

Here's the update of this week advance where finally the new airbrush arrived...... I decided to get an airbrush with a mix of .02, .03 and .05 mm nozzles. And as you can imagine, I was eager to begin testing it immediately.

First it was decided that the under surfaces were going to be painted first. I saw in a Youtube video that it was convenient for the dark surfaces to begin applying the paint with clearer colors (like a brown XF-79) in order to gradually increase the dark color at the end at will (ending with a XF-1)..... so, here's the advance in the kite belly applied with the new .03 mm airbrush nozzle:
Black 01.jpg

Black 02.jpg

Before the masking works were going to be applied, I decided to test the airbrush (as well with a different spectrum of thinners like the Mr. Color leveling as well as for the X-20A Thinners in order to appreciate the results while applying some preshading on the upper surfaces with the RLM 83). This only in several areas in order to increase the contrast when applying the RLM 76. And Boy, the Mr Color leveling is quite good.

Let me tell you that I did not use any breathing protection while applying this first paint works (thought that the filter that I installed in the painting cabin would work better with the particles and capture all the thinner vapors. But no, it doesn't capture the nasty vapors). And really these thinners have a nasty effect afterwards with an horrible headache/dizziness during that first night.

Once this lesson was experienced and with the learning curve improving, I finally got a nice breathing mask. No more headaches with these products.

I want here to thank Crimea for the link of this particular kite taken after the end of the war with several photos of this particular kite while in Luftwaffe service and then with the RAF. This images has been quite helpful in deciding where the colors and shapes will be applied accordingly.....
fuselage 01.jpg
fuselage 02.jpg

Once this paint works were completed at least for the moment, it was time to apply the reglementary protective masking works in the recently painted dark belly... and finally begin applying the RLM 76 color. I've been investigating what tone of the RLM 76 this kite was likely to have been applied, due to the late time frame of the war. It appears that there are at least 5 types in one chromatic guide provided by Vallejo.

I found that it was the greenish color that was likely to be applied in this late model at that war stage (just as in the south african Me-262 B1a/U1 survivor). And based on that facts, the greenish color was applied:
fuselage 03.jpg

fuselage 04.jpg

And then after letting the paint rest for a day, it was time to apply the Wellenmuster camouflage with the new .02 mm airbrush nozzle..... and once these works are applied (currently it has been three night sessions applying this camouflage just in the fuselage), then a new thinned greenish RLM 76 will be applied to lower the contrast (or hue) against the 83 in several areas (also mixed with the RLM 76 light blue), hopefully not in the complete body....

paint 02.jpg

The cannon fairing will be painted with a darker green color with brown after the RLM 76 paint works........
paint 03.jpg

Again, just trying to emulate the captured bird camo blotches......
paint 04.jpg

Now during this next week, it will be time to work on the wings and turbines........

So far the stencil decals for this kite has not arrived yet and it's incredible that the national postal service continue to be a mess before and after the Covid period. Postal people without any criteria pretending to be professionally working and delaying each service in customs.... But well, that's what he have ....:facepalm:

Hopefully next week I'll present a further advance and in the meantime, please have a nice one Gents. :pilotsalute:

Gerry

Good evening all fellow modelers:

Here's the week update after finishing the overall fuselage paint works.

After applying the base RLM 83 color (with the help of several blotches of RLM 84), then again it was applied the RLM 76 overall (with a less greener hue). This idea was based on the great images provided by Crimea in order to make the blotches smaller (kidney like).

This is how the kite looked like after applying the 83 and 84 colors.....
Original 01.jpg

Original 02.jpg

And here's how the paint works look like after the second RLM 76 layer and without the lower fuselage paper maskings:
Original 03.jpg

Original 04.jpg

Now time to begin applying the decals but wait..... yeap now I remember that they have not arrived yet. :eek:

This nonetheless that I bought them for a second time! After pondering for a while, I decided that the big fuselage and wing Balken crosses will be painted with airbrush. Hopefully in the meantime this stencils will arrive in order to continue with the weathering works....

Then it was time to work with the radar aerials. This is how the original antlers look like against one of the copper rods I found inside some old electrical cables:
antena 01.jpg
Then some drilling had to be performed in order that the new aerials fit in the same antenna bases.
antena 02.jpg

And this is how the antennas look like today prior to the paint works:
antena 03.jpg

Also some works were performed on the pilot and the radar guy before positioning them inside the cockpit.

Here it can be easily appreciated the difference between the provided in original box (where it is incredible that the pilot sizes varied a lot according to what I can recall of what you can buy (and get) during the 70´s and 80's......Whether you received a really small or giant pilots with totem or angry faces....... ) and the size of the 3d printed pilots printed in black during the last week where the scale difference is quite noticeable:
pilots 01.jpg

Then it was time to apply some paint works on both guys. Black leather jacket for the radar guy and a brown jacket for the pilot.

I remember some images of a bunch of Luftwaffe pilots in ready position, almost at the end of the war where they looked like a motley crew due to the differences with the uniforms in each individual. Here's what I wanted to emulate after remember that image before the wash works:
pilots 02.jpg

And after the wash works:
pilots 05.jpg

Here it is the radar guy head that is currently in the process of receiving more details.....
pilots 03.jpg

Well, I hope that finally this week the kite stencils arrive in order to finally peel off the masking on the cabin and to appreciate what weathering should be performed in this surface.

Hope you all have an incredible week and please stay safe.

Gerry :salute:

greetings Kalakan. yes very nice work so far. Just so you know CO of 10./NJG 11, Kurt Welter never flew a 2 seater.
Thank you for this information. I'm beginning to suspect that this guy is a rather a legend or someone taken by a fake.

At least this is my impression. Lots of info regarding the night fighter arm and the ones regarding Kurt Welter sometimes is rather contradictory.

Erich, can you indicate me where I can find more (trustworthy) information regarding this pilot in order to know better his real achievements and in which planes he really fly with?

Best regards

Kalakan

Thank you for this information. I'm beginning to suspect that this guy is a rather a legend or someone taken by a fake.

At least this is my impression. Lots of info regarding the night fighter arm and the ones regarding Kurt Welter sometimes is rather contradictory.

Erich, can you indicate me where I can find more (trustworthy) information regarding this pilot in order to know better his real achievements and in which planes he really fly with?

Best regards

Kalakan
greetings Kalakan. yes very nice work so far. Just so you know CO of 10./NJG 11, Kurt Welter never flew a 2 seater.

Me262B-1a/U1
Code: - Red 12 (second)
W.Nr. - 111980
Converted by: - DLH Staaken
Existence confirmed by: Post-War Photos, Me262 Production Log, flugbuch of Herbert Altner
Ferried to NJG 11: - 15.4.1945
Last confirmed date: - captured at Schleswig-Jägel on 6.5.1945
Known flights in flughbucher: - 1 by Welter + 2 by Altner
All clear.

Best regards

Kalakan
The best work on clearing the air with respect to Welter and NJG 11 is, in my opinion, this book: The Jet Night Fighters: Kurt Welter & the Story of the Messerschmitt Me 262 Night Fighters: Zapf, Andreas: 9781671986084: Books - Amazon.ca . The book summarizes all available facts and, though it doesn't eliminate all doubts due to lack of records, it does present everything currectly available to allow the reader to draw his own conclusions. Very good summary also of each 262 that servered with the unit.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Me262B-1a/U1
Code: - Red 12 (second)
W.Nr. - 111980
Converted by: - DLH Staaken
Existence confirmed by: Post-War Photos, Me262 Production Log, flugbuch of Herbert Altner
Ferried to NJG 11: - 15.4.1945
Last confirmed date: - captured at Schleswig-Jägel on 6.5.1945
Known flights in flughbucher: - 1 by Welter + 2 by Altner
All clear.

Thank you very much.

Gerry :salute:

The best work on clearing the air with respect to Welter and NJG 11 is, in my opinion, this book: The Jet Night Fighters: Kurt Welter & the Story of the Messerschmitt Me 262 Night Fighters: Zapf, Andreas: 9781671986084: Books - Amazon.ca . The book summarizes all available facts and, tough it doesn't eliminate all doubts due to lack of records, it does present everything currectly available to allow the reader to draw his own conclusions. Very good summary also of each 262 that servered with the unit.
As always, thank you very much Crimea, very helpful indeed.

Gerry
:salute:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back