1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Gerry. I was today days old when I learned about cable cutters. For others like me

1612303265151.png

1612303340408.png

1612303367201.png

Hi Guys and thanks again for looking in.

Well, at last, after all that time, we've reached what should be the official concluding post in this marathon build. Obviously, I will continue to monitor the thread going forward and attempt to answer any questions or comments you might have and respond to any further posts.

Why did it take so long? I hear you ask. I really don't know. But it was a lot more complicated than I originally thought and I did prevaricate a lot in the course of the project adding extra time and, some possibly unnecessary corrections that added to the timeline.

It's ironic and humbling to realize that, in less than half the time that it took to build this Lancaster, A. V. Roe and their associates built 7,377 1:1 scale fully -operational aircraft of the various Lancaster marks! So, I don't think, from this, that I'm cut out for a career in the aviation industry any time soon.

I finally got my window of fine weather late last week and what follows is a walk-around of the finished item, showing as many different viewpoints as I could think of. I hope I haven't posted too many but, if I've missed any, let me know and I'll add more if necessary.

I took the opportunity to add some figures to a few of the shots to give some idea of scale. These are from a partial set from the Brittan's Dambusters Anniversary Set that I picked up cheaply on the internet some time ago, because one figure was missing and two others were slightly damaged. Unfortunately, although advertised as 54 mm figures, they are in reality 60 mm in height (without the stand) which makes them closer to 1:24 scale. I don't think that this is too obvious in the photos because of lens perspective but can be glaringly obvious if placed too near the aircraft in reality.

I am now going to take a short break from building for at least a month, to catch up with some chores, but will hopefully get back to it before too long. Finally, I haven't added any captions to the photos as they should be self-explanatory.

e3b7b62c-f3fc-4eb5-8c9b-4aec2a56b4c3.jpg

1bcf8b37-32d4-4476-adec-b8a7c70ba2aa.jpg

baf459fe-5846-4b0a-baf7-5b37715dca79.jpg

f1fd5599-2f24-43b8-8c07-281d5b60f48f.jpg

eb8f9a93-498f-46d3-9b1b-17a930ca0ab1.jpg

7ded69f5-29f8-44b6-94f5-4ea2ea5664cc.jpg

a26fee54-730f-46b9-8d5a-1e572a5c642a.jpg

11249162-bb57-4ae0-9eef-6524e88f4678.jpg

a35f6f11-d30e-4067-9269-8851acdd58d0.jpg

48d3b432-fbda-4cb5-9ee8-ec0ade7fbaa5.jpg

3513815b-7be9-4ca9-a9cc-5175d3a40c82.jpg

00373070-84fc-4870-9a26-d90576b19ffa.jpg

590d13d2-bd4c-414c-9d96-520ff7c96025.jpg

a8a0d3a8-5b17-47b4-a7ac-8a248de78fa5.jpg

Slán go foill,

Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely stunning Gerry, a beautiful conclusion to all your dedicated hard work and attention to detail.

If you ever feel like replacing the figures with "true" scale 1/32nd examples at some point, then may I suggest getting a hold of some of the Airfix 1/32nd scale "Multi-pose" sets, some of which have been re-released, and other "originals" can found at such sites as "King Kit".
These are not aircrew, being British, German, and US Infantry figures, as well as Afrika Korps, but can very easily be modified and "dressed" as aircrew,. The plastic is fairly soft and easily carved / sanded as needed and, having separate arms and heads, they can very easily be "remodelled" into the desired "poses". Each set normally contains five to six figures, depending on "nationality" and weapons content etc.

Thanks for keeping us enthralled with this build over the years - I'd love to see it "in the flesh".

Once again, I'm overwhelmed by the encouragement and positivity with which my efforts are received by the members of this forum. That has always been the attitude here from my first post. Never any sniping or negativity, which is not to say that people never criticised or questioned some of my decisions, but it was always positive criticism - designed to steer me from errors and encouragement to make that little extra effort.

I'm very grateful to everyone who has ever posted to this thread and particularly those who were frequent contributors and have followed it to the end. Just knowing that my efforts were being appreciated was very reassuring, particularly when things weren't always going smoothly. That support was what helped me find the motivation, despite some setbacks, to see it through to the end.

This generosity was more than simply verbal. In many cases members took the time and effort to forward their references and information at their own expense or inconvenience and for that my thanks. I would like to particularly thank Terry (Airframes) and Andy (Crimea_River) for their invaluable contributions of reference books and personal photos that greatly contributed to my knowledge of the workings of the Lancaster.

I come away from this build with a great deal of admiration for this forum. I believe it is a very positive and knowledgeable asset for modellers and that this is entirely down to the character of its members.

Gerry

Thanks Terry for your suggestion about scratch-building the crew. I do think I need a base to display the Lancaster if I want to enter it in any local shows...assuming they will resume at some stage in the future. It's something I may tackle then but realise it will be a bit of a project.

Andy, far to soon to think about my next build. Like most modellers, I expect, I've added considerably to my stash since I started the build so I've a lot to choose from. I'm currently thinking it'll be something simple though!

Gerry

Karl, Gnomey, Wurger, Capt. Vick and Geo, I very much appreciate your loyalty over the period of this build.

Bill, sorry to hear of your family's connection to that tragic loss. It does remind us of the reality of the purpose of these aircraft. I was always aware that at the time of my depiction, S:Sugar was crewed by Aussies and I hope this build can be considered my small tribute to their bravery and to that of all airmen in ww2.

Gerry

Gerry I have watched this thread and your awesome work with great interest and the finished result is as others have said Museum quality.

Although as you say "It's ironic and humbling to realize that, in less than half the time that it took to build this Lancaster, A. V. Roe and their associates built 7,377 1:1 scale fully -operational aircraft of the various Lancaster marks! So, I don't think, from this, that I'm cut out for a career in the aviation industry any time soon. " What you have achieved has been completed without a workforce numbering into the hundreds or even thousands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back