1:32 scale Lancaster Mk.1 Hachette Partworks

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My dear amigo Gerry, just yesterday I was able to see your thread; I had been absent for months in your masterful work with this Lanc.

"There is no date that is not fulfilled, nor deadline that does not arrive" and I am pleased to witness your work, now completed.
Many congratulations for your work, tenacity and not letting yourself be overcome by adversity (I remember that fall and breakage) of the bird, and you came out ahead with beautiful work. :notworthy:

Little by little I will return to the parts that I missed during the process.
It is a thread that surely is already history with all the information, real images and the valuable contribution and intervention of knowledgeable colleagues to enrich it even more. :grouphuuug::pilotsalute:

Will there be an opportunity to see the Lanc in a photo that allows us to see the large size with some object or interior setting?
Surely somewhere you mentioned where you will exhibit it and be able to have a photo of that place?
I, like many in this forum will enjoy those photos.

Nuevamente felicidades, gracias por tu trabajo y un fuerte abrazo hasta Dublin :thumbup:

Luis Carlos

I will continue to monitor the thread going forward and attempt to answer any questions or comments you might have and respond to any further posts
Gerry it looks superb and it has to be the best looking Hachette kit/completed model I've ever seen, the next question is.....
Can I copy all the completed pictures and post them on a Facebook group I run ?

So having just bought this entire kit, bagged in the original packets. I have everything but the magazines unfortunately. the person I bought from had inherited the kit from a family member that had passed away. I have scoured the internet for a PDF file of the instructions to no avail. This thread will help enormously but there are still going to be bits that I do not recognise. I am an experienced kit builder and ex airframe fitter and mad about ww2 bombers. Does anybody know of any source that has such a thing. I rang Hachette and the guy said about 2 years after a run, they bin everything. thanks

Welcome to the forum and I've got to wish you good luck with this build, hope you can get the some of the instruction if not all of them. Whatever the outcome I hope you decide to join our little group and keep us posted on your progress. Maybe Gerry can offer some advice. :D

Thanks Vic. I've started breaking it down into its component sections and will just work through them one by one. Reckon I will be okay. From what Gerry has said, the instructions throw quite a few curve balls in, so may be better off without them.
A question I have is has anyone used self adhesive aluminium foil instead of the sheets on the trickier sections. I feel I am leaning towards Gerrys build and having one side open and the other closed. It seems such a shame to do all that work and then bury it.

so having finished the inventory, it appears that I am issue 4 short. The original builder has had it because I have the cockpit seat that also came with the issue. Its the cockpit thats missing so I assume he has built it and it has got lost along the way. Does anybody have a copy they are willing to sell me or failing that, send me a scan of the parts so I can scratch build it.
I have thought about buying the HK nose art section an attaching that, what are your thoughts.

20220715_211810.jpg
20220715_211744.jpg
s
20220715_211625.jpg
Having not found a source for the front fuselage anywhere in the UK or indeed anywhere else for that matter, I was faced with three choices, stash the kit till I could source the issues I needed, build what I have and again wait for the issues I needed, or buy the HK nose art kit and graft it on. Technically it shouldn't have been a problem with them both being 1/32. So having bit the bullet on the HK nose art kit, I have started to mate the two sections. As far as the frames at the join, they were not that bad at all, with a little persuasion from a heat gun, once they are filled and cleaned up I don't think you will be able to tell.
In regards to the leading edge, well, one of them is wrong. I went for the path of least resistance and filled the cut outs in the fuselage and filled with putty. Again once this is sanded and painted I don't think you will be able to tell. Plus, the leading edge will cover most of it. I have cut the back off the plastic main spar and trimmed to fit over the wooden main sparagain, this needs to be filled and cleaned up. So all in all I got the HK for £67, the rest of the kit for £150. Not bad I don't think. To buy the issues I needed would have been around £40 so within £27, again, not bad. Will keep you updated, not sure if anyone has tried this before, may be a world first lol.

View attachment 677777View attachment 677778sView attachment 677779Having not found a source for the front fuselage anywhere in the UK or indeed anywhere else for that matter, I was faced with three choices, stash the kit till I could source the issues I needed, build what I have and again wait for the issues I needed, or buy the HK nose art kit and graft it on. Technically it shouldn't have been a problem with them both being 1/32. So having bit the bullet on the HK nose art kit, I have started to mate the two sections. As far as the frames at the join, they were not that bad at all, with a little persuasion from a heat gun, once they are filled and cleaned up I don't think you will be able to tell.
In regards to the leading edge, well, one of them is wrong. I went for the path of least resistance and filled the cut outs in the fuselage and filled with putty. Again once this is sanded and painted I don't think you will be able to tell. Plus, the leading edge will cover most of it. I have cut the back off the plastic main spar and trimmed to fit over the wooden main sparagain, this needs to be filled and cleaned up. So all in all I got the HK for £67, the rest of the kit for £150. Not bad I don't think. To buy the issues I needed would have been around £40 so within £27, again, not bad. Will keep you updated, not sure if anyone has tried this before, may be a world first lol.
Hi GingerTerry have you established which manufacture has got the Wing Leading Edge wrong?
Regards
Tony

Hi Luis Carlos,
Will there be an opportunity to see the Lanc in a photo that allows us to see the large size with some object or interior setting?
Surely somewhere you mentioned where you will exhibit it and be able to have a photo of that place?
I, like many in this forum will enjoy those photos.

Nuevamente felicidades, gracias por tu trabajo y un fuerte abrazo hasta Dublin :thumbup:

Luis Carlos
Hi Luis Carlos,
thank you for your message regarding the Lancaster build. I must apologise for the delay in replying but I lost a great deal of last year - between March and December with a recurrent illness that I have been fighting. Unfortunately, I neglected a lot of things during this time and unfortunately monitoring the forum and new builds were both casualties. However I'm delighted to say I'm feeling much better now, since January, though still under medical observation. At least I am at home now and can begin to pick up the threads again.

I did have some periods of respite during the year and in September I made it to the IPMS Ireland Annual Show and had the Lancaster on display. I attach a couple of shots taken at the show and hope that these give you a better idea of the scale.

Best regards agus Lá File Phadraig Shona duit. (Happy St. Patrick's Day)

Gerry

Attachments

• Lancaster displayed.jpg
    Lancaster displayed.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4139.jpg
    IMG_4139.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 25
Gerry it looks superb and it has to be the best looking Hachette kit/completed model I've ever seen, the next question is.....
Can I copy all the completed pictures and post them on a Facebook group I run ?
Hi Ian,
Thank you for your very kind remarks. I must apologise for the delay in replying to you but please see my earlier reply to Sancer that explains the reasons.
If it's still pertinent, I would have no objection to you using my photos on your Facebook group.

Best regards,

Gerry

Sorry to hear about your health problems Gerry ( I know the feeling only too well !), but great to see you back here.
The Lanc looks great on the display table !

Great to see you here again Gerry! Just back in myself by chance after a long respite.
Wish I could have seen that Lanc in the flesh on the day - hopefully one day! Hope you're ok too mate.

Hi Ian,Thank you for your very kind remarks. I must apologise for the delay in replying to you but please see my earlier reply to Sancer that explains the reasons.
If it's still pertinent, I would have no objection to you using my photos on your Facebook group. Best regards, Gerry
Hello Gerry,

Thanks for saying 'yes' to letting me use the pics.
I've now read your reply about your health, i'm with everyone else on this, wishing you a full recovery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back