1/32 Tamiya Merlin's Magic P-51D Reno dio

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So since the ailerons and elevators are metal covered and polished, they need to be painted separately as the horizontal stab is painted, like the wings.
I have discovered i can glue the front and tip edge and still be able to part the halves with a scalpel to open the trailing edge to get the metal tab in for the elevator. This way I can paint each with no hassles.......

Thanks for that.
It must be an added battery as it's not inna military version.
Wonder what the purpose is????

The original lead acid military battery was located behind the pilots seat along with the radios and aux fuel tank. In civilian life, a second seat was added so the battery, radios, etc. needed to be relocated. New batteries also give you the option of a "Gel Cell".

Thanks heaps for that.
Just have to discover mounting method!

Or just make a box and sit it onna bench!

Last edited:
Having finished GB-51 and now a bit of a lul,
I'll pick this one back up and chip away at it again.
I did start another 1/32nd Mustang of the CALIF National Guard
and it looks like I never started a thread, so I will but it is far along
so a few photos to catch it up!

So....................... shy of two years since posting any photos of any work!!!!
Today I did some painting....... finally.
I use a lot of rattle cans, Tamiya TS and AS paints, and Primer, grey an white.
The NMF is actually highly polished on the plane, so I used AlClad "polished aluminum"
It needs a Gloss black undercoat so I used Tamiya White primer, it's easier for old eyes to see where the paint is going on and coverage.
So after the Tamiya gloss black spray the AlClad is airbrushed on. It goes on so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bam, it's done.
So I assembled the tail section and have most of the other parts to show.
The wing section is not yet attached so I will AB the AlClad after tedious masking of the fuselage. Tomorrow!
MM is almost as far along as the ANG mustang.

Got to painting the missed stuff and fuselage.
Pretty easy cuz the fuselage had Not been glued together yet.
Seams it's like a snap together.
Tail is a sub assembly. Engine and cockpit is another sub assembly. And wings as well.
Only issue with the fuselage Not being glued is the very underside at the radiator scoop at final assembly.
The seem will require sanding and repaint. But since it's done with airbrush and it's a small strip it's too easy.
So it seams pieces can be painted without all the fuss of tedious masking.
Here's all the stuff I have for the "diorama" of engine swap. Getting close.
Where are them flaps??????

Users who are viewing this thread