1/32 Tamiya Merlin's Magic P-51D Reno dio (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
I know I now have 5 in the build stage...... I just wanted to get this thread started as I will be picking at this one as well. See I reallly do have more on my bench than anyone else!!!!!!!!!:oops:

I posted the motor in the thread asking advice on the best kit in 1/32, and I did wait for the Tamiya kit which I now have, boyoboy am I glad I waited! Chook kindly turned over the motor from his Tamiya Spitty since he wasn't using it in his build. I wanted to have the blown Merlin engine on a stand in the dio. He blew a rod on the track at Reno, and changed engines there. A picture of the engine on a stand is included on his website, along with many of the in progress of changeover. My association with the plane as I stated before, is the nose art I created and painted on the plane too many years ago.

I have built the blown engine and a scratch built stand. This weekend I spent some time building the work platform to go in the dio. It's a little out of scale, but it's my first go. This week I will make some jig pieces on the router to make a more to scale version. I have to make 2, one for each side of the plane. I heated some sprue from the Yak with a hair dryer for the bending. I found holding a flame under the stuff was something less than desirable to be kind. The new jigging should work a treat where I will be using some PVC rod. Anyone want a 1/2nd work platform?????

Attachments

• 1a blown engine.jpg
    1a blown engine.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 372
  • 1b Enigine parts.jpg
    1b Enigine parts.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 399
  • 1c engine on stand.jpg
    1c engine on stand.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 1d engine on finished stand.jpg
    1d engine on finished stand.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 2 work platform.jpg
    2 work platform.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 377
  • 2a work platform.jpg
    2a work platform.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 388
  • 2b work platform.jpg
    2b work platform.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 354
Very nice Bill. :) Are you going to try to duplicate the scene from the actual plane photo?

These are more like what I want to do, with the prop off and the replacement installed, red engine on the stand near MM.

Anyone know of a small 1/32nd fork lift kit????

BTW, thanks for not making any remarks about how many projects I have underway!!!!!! Annie just shakes her head at them. I will be glad when I get the cabinet built to store them in and get them off every flat surface in the house!

Attachments

• 3b dio.jpg
    3b dio.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 344
  • 3a dio.jpg
    3a dio.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 324
Ok.. I was noticing on the yellow stands you made that the bottom cross piece is different than what's in the photo. There is a part on the bottom of stand on the model that goes from back to front in a straight line. Back left to front left. In the photo you have this part goes in a diagonal direction from back right to front left.

Ok.. I was noticing on the yellow stands you made that the bottom cross piece is different than what's in the photo. There is a part on the bottom of stand on the model that goes from back to front in a straight line. Back left to front left. In the photo you have this part goes in a diagonal direction from back right to front left.

Boy am i Glad I posted That!!!!!! LOL. It was a first attempt to make one of these fiddly things. So I knocked this one up "just for you". My LHS didn't have any PVC angle so I had to use what was at hand, some channel. I am a little happier with this one. Even got the wheels at the back and the top extends beyond the frame. My jig and side pieces. Some yellow and I can set it aside. Unless I loose my senses, it's gonna be just ONE platform.

I must say thanks for the observations. I do want this one to be pretty accurate. It will sit at the top of my custom made cabinet which I am making at work. Just ordered the tempered side glass, back is made and the base is being welded up for me. Pics when complete.

Attachments

• 4a platform jig.jpg
    4a platform jig.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 290
  • 4b platform.jpg
    4b platform.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 4c platform.jpg
    4c platform.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 282
Thanks guys.....
Been waiting for stuff to dry again, and back on MM so I don't touch the stuff and muck it up.
Putting the replacement engine together. Can't see that much detail in it so I am just making it sparkle with some shiney stuff. Got to paint all the bolt heads yet, add the mags and such. Using the engine stand from the red engine while I'm working on it. Everybody should have an engine stand I think!

I sure like the way these big Tammy kits go together, I'm getting spoiled.

Attachments

• 5a motor.jpg
    5a motor.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 316
  • 5b motor.jpg
    5b motor.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 323
Well there Wayne, I "learnt" something new again.

I gave Wiring the red engine a go with some beading wire .035mm but found it too bl**dy stiff to work with. Tried and tried, I can be a bit stubbern.
I have now ordered some soldering wire .04mm and will give that a go. But spark plug wiring is a must on both in and out of the plane.

Well there Wayne, I "learnt" something new again.

I gave Wiring the red engine a go with some beading wire .035mm but found it too bl**dy stiff to work with. Tried and tried, I can be a bit stubbern.
I have now ordered some soldering wire .04mm and will give that a go. But spark plug wiring is a must on both in and out of the plane.

:thumbright: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back