1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk I

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wolfman_63

Airman 1st Class
Jan 20, 2014
Schaumburg IL
Just finished an Airfix Spitfire Mk I in 1/48 scale. I used aftermarket decals to represent a spitfire flown in the 303 Squadron. This is the squadron flown by Polish pilots during the battle of Britain.
This is my first time doing an Airfix kit in many, many years and I must say I was impressed with the detail and fit. Aside from some minor filling at the wing roots, everything lined up extremely well.
The gray recommended in the decal book appears darker on the model than in the pictorial in the book but I am still happy with the end result.

25649595762_1f58ccb835_c.jpg

25143969543_e4e4474002_c.jpg

25140106024_eff87a7953_c.jpg

25770563775_eb77c29810_c.jpg

I agree with all, very nicely done indeed.
Not sure about the antenna wire though - starting in August 1940, the VHF radio sets began to replace the earlier TR9 sets, and the wire was no longer needed. This Squadron flew Hurricanes during the BoB, and re-equipped with the Spitfire Mk1 in January 1941. By the time depicted by your model (August 1941 onward, I think, judging by the colour scheme), all front-line fighter squadrons should have had the VHF sets installed.
I realise the profile shows the wire, but it's unlikely to have been fitted by this period.
Although it doesn't detract from an excellent model, maybe a check of photo evidence will confirm, and if the wire needs to be removed, the model will be more accurate, and even better.
Very well done.

Very nice!
They have a Mk I in a museum here in Chicago still in the paint it wore later in the war when it was shipped to the museum so some Mk Is at least we're repainted like this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back